Teen with type one

Hi! I’m Eve. I was diagnosed a little over a year ago January 23rd 2018 at the age of 12. Now I’m 13 going on 14, and I don’t have any friends with type one. So I’m really looking forward to making connections! So psyched.

1 Like

Hi Eve😊
I’m 16 and I was diagnosed this year on January 18,2019 with type one diabetes and with celiac disease this August. Would love to be friends😊

3 Likes

Hi Eve!! I’m Abby; I’m 17 years old and was diagnosed age 7. Welcome to TypeOneNation! I’m so glad you found us. This is an awesome community where you can ask questions, share advice, and find friends with T1D.
I have several T1 Teen group chats on various platforms (snapchat, email, etc) and I would love to add you to one! If you’re interested, feel free to pm me and we can exchange contact info.
Can’t wait to chat with you!

2 Likes

Eve, hi. I am a mom of an 11yo type 1. My daughter was dx at 9yo on 03/09/18, she is now 11yo and some days are better than others. I do want to suggest to you, if your parents will allow it, to look for support on FB. Right now my dd (her name is Eva) she doesn’t want anything to do with the diabetes community. She says that she stands out enough. I am hoping with time that will change. She did go to a day camp this year Camp Wanna Kura and it did help her to see other kids going through the same things, I was hoping she would make a friend or two but she didn’t come home with any contacts/friends. All of her “school” friends have stopped inviting her over and the one we thought was her best friend, we found out was bullying her even before the dx and it just got worse after dx. I wish you luck and good health. You are a warrior and you got this! If you ever want a “mom” type person to talk to, my email is always open.

Hey, Eve!

My name is Abigail, and I was diagnosed at age 12 too! I’m 18 now, and I just discovered this forum, so I’m pretty excited about it too. I’m glad to hear you’re psyched about making connections – you know, there are some random perks to having T1D, such as having a unique connection with other people with T1D. I always think it’s cool when I’m out and about and some random person sees my CGM and says, “Hey, do you have Type 1? My kid has Type 1!” or something like that. It’s nice when people know what it is.

If you ever have questions about pump stuff or BG stuff or you just want to vent cuz you’re fed up with T1D, I’m glad to be here for you! (Just so you know, if you have questions, I used to have the Medtronic Minimed pump and now have the T:Slim. I also have the Dexcom G6. I would NEVER give up my Dex – my best friend.)
Feel free to reach out whenever!

1 Like

Hi @Katsumcat. I am truly sorry to hear about this. When you have a physical trauma it can be frightening to others and sometimes they will run away. Sometimes they stay away forever. In a sense it can be tragic but if you take a step back you will find that these people did you a kind of a favor by showing their true colors. There is very little worse than a person pretending to be a friend.

In an attempt to make everything ok, it might be possible to scare away some well intended invitations. As your daughter grows she will be better abled to take care of herself and be less dependent on other parents enabling her to do more independent things that she likes to do. I am glad she went to camp and hope she will do it again

I hope you both find peace with this soon.

I would love to talk to her! She can email me!
Here’s my email, bqpower12@gmail.com

Yeah awesome! Yes there have been several times I’ve been out and people has talked to me about it! It’s really cool I would love to be friends! Here’s my email bqpower12@gmail.com

Gosh so sorry I don’t think I ever saw this! I would love to be added to something! My email is bqpower12@Gmail.com

I am 59, diagnosed less than a month after becoming 9 years old. The FIRST other type one diabetic (T1D) I met was in college, the boyfriend of a roommate. The NEXT T1D I met was a medical doctor when I was 33 years old and in a different town.
I am grateful you each have better communication and an ability to share your stories at this time.

1 Like

Hey @EveBq I’m 21!! I’m happy you’re pumped and have this community to better guide you through this! WOOP WOOP :dancer:t4::star2::sparkler: