Looking for friends with T1D

Hey everyone. I’m Paige, I’m 19 years old and I’m currently in college. Diabetes has certainly been getting the best of me and I’ve been super down about it. I hate feeling this way because I know numbers don’t define all the work I put into managing this. I’ve been diabetic all my life and I can’t say I’ve ever done anything like this. I hope this finds some awesome people!

1 Like

I was diagnosed when I was 20, during college years, and now I’m 33. I lived the college life with diabetes and hurt myself even more doing all those things. I don’t hate or regret the things I have done, but I will do anything I can to survive to live another exciting time. If you need a friend, let me know.

Hey Paige! ~and everyone else,
I’m Amanda, and I’m 24 years old. I am still in college due to changing my major multiple times and also taking time off of school to work. I can 100% relate to feeling like diabetes can get the best of you. I feel like that too. I have been lucky enough to meet 1 or 2 people in my college community for a bit of support but I have not become close friends with them. I have been a diabetic since I was 7 years old. Sometimes I just want to forget I have it, even though that is literally impossible. I get super frustrated when I have those days where I do everything right but my blood is still high… and when I try to talk to someone about it… say, my boyfriend… he just does not get it. I hate that people have their own (very wrong) opinions about Diabetes, or they are misinformed. It really is nice to find someone who does understand and who can at least be there to say ‘hey, ive been there too’ and to talk about it. Don’t let it get you down!!! <3 Us diabetics have to stick together.

Hey Paige! I’m Abby; I’m 15 and I’ve had T1D since I was 7.
Yeah, having T1 can kinda suck sometimes. I’ve found it really helps to find other T1 folks who know what I’m going through. If you have Snapchat, I’d love to add you to our T1 Teens group chat–we currently have 14 members from around the world who all have T1D! :slight_smile: You can add me at bookwormnerd13.

hi abby!! yes i’d love to join. I’ll add you right now… my user is paigeecrowley!!

hi amanda !! thank you so much for replying! i relate to you on the college thing. I’m about to be transferring to a 4 year and I honestly want to take a break. Diabetes kicks the soul out of me sometimes. Im so happy im finally finding others so i dont feel so alone.

Hey! I am Brooke, I’m a 21 year old college student as well! I am studying nursing, in which I graduate (hopefully) in December!! I totally relate to the feeling down part because trust me I have been through hell and back with this disease. I was diagnosed at age 15, in which was harder on me than I let the outside see. Hopefully this blog thing helps us!

Hey! I’m maria. I’m 18 and in my freshman year of college. I’ve had diabetes since I was 2. I get what you’re feeling girl(and everyone else) It’s been kinda hard lately and I’m just tired of diabetes and want a break. It would be great to make some friends who know what it’s like.

hi maria! I’m so glad you reached out i really appreciate it. If you want we can talk through snap or twitter? I’m trying to reach out to more people cause I’ve been feel so terrible lately. If you want to let me know!

Hi Paige,
I totally understand the struggle. I’m a full time college student who works also and it can be so hard to make diabetes a priority. Check out the College Diabetes Network’s website. They have awesome resources for college students with diabetes.
Here’s a link to their burnout page: https://collegediabetesnetwork.org/content/burnout
Aaaaand here’s another link to their campus chapters page: https://collegediabetesnetwork.org/content/campus-chapters
They have chapters all over the U.S. at different colleges. These chapters provide a good way for college students with diabetes to get together and talk about what it’s like to have diabetes in college. I hope you can get connected with other people with diabetes!
Also, feel free to add me as a friend on here!

1 Like

Hey everyone!!
How is everyone doing?? I know this past week has been a little tough for me.
Are you guys on the insulin pump?? I have decided to go off the pump almost a year ago and I loved it at first… I still prefer shots/pens over the pump but I hate having to stick myself ALL THE TIME!!! The reason I wanted to get off the pump was because of all my tissue build up. I have been on the pump for 15 years and I was having to change my site SO many times before I got one that would deliver insulin… I got sick of that and just decided to switch to the pen because changing my sites would sometimes hurt so bad I would literally want to scream and cry.
Sometimes I find it hard to stay motivated and on top of my blood because I simply don’t want to deal with it… but I also don’t want the consequences of a high blood sugar later. Ya know what I mean?

Hey Paige! My name is Sawyer and I have been a diabetic for a little over 3 years. I am turning 19 on the 16th and was diagnosed in November when I was 15. I am new to this site, in fact this was the first post that caught my interest and decided to check out. I completely understand this post. I do not go to college but I work in two restaurants. It is nice to see this post and all the comments and seeing I am very much not alone

Hi Abby! My name is sawyer and I was scrolling through and saw your comment and was wondering if I could join this group as well it sounds awesome

Hey Sawyer! Yeah, we’d love to have you!! Add me at bookwormnerd13 and I’ll get you in the group right away :slight_smile:

Hey everyone I’m Kate, 17 years old and have had type 1 since age 3. I just found this site and was hoping to find some fellow type 1 diabetics to talk to. None of my friends have it so its hard for them to understand my frustrations!

1 Like

Hey everyone!

I agree with so many of your previous comments! UGH. let me know if anyone wants to talk! I’m almost always down to vent about it or support someone else’s venting or have an actually productive conversation too…
I’m 21 and a senior in college and I’ve had diabetes since I was 2, so it’s been a whole minute and there’s been obviously literal ups and downs but like emotional and spiritual ones too that I’ve really realized recently as I continued maturing and thinking about like who I am while going through school. oy vey. good luck pals. my snap is toya927 if anyone wants to chat

1 Like

Thank you Gabriela @gabimontoya for stepping forward and offering to LISTEN to others and for offering your assistance. And best wishes in your last year of studies for your degree.
and I hope that you feel free to seek suggestions from the many other Members here who have also lived decades with diabetes - I know that even with 60+ years depending on insulin I am learning something almost daily on here.

Thank you Dennis! Sure. I suppose my stepping into these communities is in natural order as I finish my studies and understand what I’m doing in the world. I want to help build communities and educate folks through dance especially about identity and how to express themselves and connect with each other-so I guess me coming to this forum is a part of that, and accepting more largely that I both can offer support and need support. I’ll absolutely seek that support…I’ll include you when I find more specific questions or topics. Thanks for your support

Hey! I’m currently 21 years old and in my third year of college! I commute from home to Stony Brook University on Long Island but i still have issues dealing with it when it comes to going out with friends and eating on campus. I’d love to talk and become friends! Good luck and remember everything happens for a reason and diabetes will be the reason you will always be a strong person! <3

1 Like

Hi! My name is Clara and I’m a freshman in college (currently taking a break for spring quarter) an I got diagnosed a month ago after going into DKA. I’m looking to make friends who know what going through this is like so we can all support each other!!