Looking for friends with T1D

I would be interested in the Snapchat group if at all available? I’m 15 and have had diabetes for 10 years

Hi, I’m Ali senior in high school! I think snapchat would be cool to have!

Hi Kate! I’m Audrey:), I’m fifteen and was diagnosed at 7 and none of my friends have diabetes either. Are you on shots or a pump?

Hi Paige,
I am 16 and have had diabetes since I was 2. I HAVE THE SAME STRUGGLE. My parents get upset with my A1C when it is 8.0 even though that is fine and I know some people have theirs significantly higher. There is all this added pressure which people apply and stress upon you without even realizing they do so. It is ridiculous and I completely understand.
-Emma

Hi Emma @eshapiro, it certainly sounds as if you have it all together - you have what I think is the right attitude for managing your diabetes and the suggestions you share are wonderfully positive; yes, I’ve read all postings on here.
I won’t make a comment on your 8.0 Hba1c because that is principally a report of where you have been, now it is up to you to use that information and make it work FOR YOU. Keep up the good work; I wish when I was diagnosed on my 16th birthday [that was 60+ years ago] that I had your intelligence to understand my condition.

hey clara! sorry it took me so long to reply i havent been on here in awhile. How are you! you can add me on snapchat if you wanna talk there!! my snap is paigeecrowley :slight_smile:

Hey! I have a pump but I need to get a new one because tsnatarting to not work as well. Was looking into the omnipod because I like the idea of no tubes! The
Funny thing about sharing info on diabetes is my speech 1 class now knows I have diabetes because I decided to give a speech on it after the 100 joke about diabetes but they still don’t seem to get the concept down :joy:

Thank you @Dennis. There is one thing about diabetes that I would appreciate your advice on. When I am low (below 65), it drops really rapidly and it doesn’t matter what I have eaten or am taking to treat the low, my BG drops pretty low. Then in a few hours it rapidly increases, it’s not like I consumed enough sugar to increase my BG by 150 some. How do you treat your really LOW lows?

You are very welcome Emma @eshapiro. What works for me may or not work well for you but I will happily share what I have found.

What I have found is that when my BG is either high [<270] or low [>70] my body appears to react differently to my calculated correction rates and my consumption of carbohydrates; it could be psychological because I’m looking for “instant” remediation. Specifically when my BG drops to between 45 and 65 mg/dl I will immediately drink between 2 to 4 ounces of OJ [6 gm. to 13 gm carb.] plus 5 saltines with PB [15 gm. carb.] without taking insulin and wait 45 to 90 minutes and recheck my BG; if my BG is still less than 100 mg/dl I eat more crackers with peanut butter and usually take about 50% of the insulin my pump wizzard recommends over a 30 minute period… Unlike in the past where I’d always “over treat” a low, I am now more patient and conservative.
For me, especially a “low” experienced in the evening after a substantial supper can often be attributed to activities in which I engaged several hours earlier and the results of the treatment method I outlined above might differ.
There is also an argument called “rebound”, often disputed, that may be causing your 150 mg/dl BG increase; you are still young and your pancreas may still be providing some of the functions for which it was designed. Specifically your pancreas may still be able to dispatch signals to your liver to release stored sugars which it does but your pancreatic beta cells no longer release insulin to complete the balancing act.

1 Like

Hey what’s up! My name is Ricky. I’m 17 and have had diabetes since I was 7. My Snapchat is rick_thegoat91. Let’s chat!

Hi my name is Rachelle I have a daughter by the name of Kaylie that has been diagnosed with TD1 in February she’s having a tough time with it.
Sometimes she thinks she’s the only ones out there with this and cannot understand why it happened to her I was wondering if your group could reach out to her on Snapchat. It’s kaylierenaegro6. Thank you. A concerned mom

Hi Rachelle @rrgroceman, for me Kaylie wondering “why me” hits home - I had that very strong emotion and question too as none of my six siblings, cousins or ANYBODY else had diabetes… I didn’t meet anyone with diabetes for many years - of course that was in the 1950’s long before internet and "people coming out of the closet.
As to why her? Please reassure her that it isn’t because of anything she did or didn’t do and that is just something isn’t happening deep in her in her body. In some ways she may be among the “lucky ones” in that she will become more aware of her body and emotions an she will be encouraged to live a more healthy life - and there is absolutely no reason that diabetes will restrict her ambitions and dreams. Diabetes has not kept me from “doing and achieving” once I, after neglecting care for the first 15 years after diagnosis, decided to accept what I have and look forward to a long, happy life - I’ve outlived more than one third of my “healthy” high school classmates.
I’m not on snapchat but you and she are welcome to contact me here or any other way; I’m on here a few times every day and read all posts. And a Warm Welcome to TypeOneNation; you will “meet” many people here who will listen to your concerns and happily offer you suggestions.

Thank you Dennis…
I wish I could get her to get on here. But she thinks that she doesn’t need to talk to people with the same problem… I hope this will change. I’m sure it will she is 15 soon 16.
She try to stay active. When in school she is in Marching Band. She is a good student. She never missed school till we had to rich her to the ER… that upset her because she never wanted to miss. She was hoping to go her High school years and not miss any.
She was on the news the day before we rushed her. We had the news crew here.
She had done thus big thing on bulling. She had been bullied and had friends that had been… and she couldn’t take it no more. So she got a hold of the local news here in Mo. Channel 9… it was a big deal… we are so very proud of her… now she feels that having T1d… She being bullied all over again… Because a guy that she was talking to told her he didn’t want anything to do with her because she had diabetes.
I told her that is his loss. He is missing out on a great girl.

Rachelle, it certainly sounds as if Kaylie IS a great girl - to me it sounds as if she wants to be in control of her life [and her diabetes] and figure things out for herself - and then just do it.
I have to admire her, but any time she needs to bump something off another person who is experiencing life with diabetes encourage her to look in here - or ask you to look for her.

Thank you… I tried. I gave one of the girls on here her Snapchat. And she got upset.
She doesn’t really want people to now she has T1D… her friends know. But for people that does not know her. She thinks they will look down on her…
I know she a teenager and she just got that teenager attitude. I just worry so much about her…

Hi Rachelle!
Thanks so much for reaching out to me. I did add Kaylie on snapchat and ask her if she’d like to join our group; she hasn’t responded but I think I might add her to the group chat anyway so she can meet some other folks who understand what she’s going through.

Oh girl we have all been there and it honestly SUCKS! ive only been diabetic for 5 years and sometimes it feels like all my effort these past five years just dont lead to the results i want. I’d love to get to know you and you have alll of us here to rant to and talk to about the diabetic problems, because we actually understand you and your struggles completely

Hello my name is Roseann but you can call me Nikki. I’ve had T1 Diabetes since I was 18 months old. So it’s all I ever known. I my self struggle with it along with several other health issues. I’m a little older 31 but I would very much enjoy talking with someone else about diabetes an other health problems. I know things can get ruff sometimes but I believe it we have people who care that we can relate to it makes a world of a difference. Please anyone feel free to email me. pnikki40@yahoo.com is my email address . I we can help each other in this chapter of our lifes and find comfort in knowing the someone cares enuff to listen. Wish you the best and keep moving forward.