Just looking to chat about T1D

Hello everyone!

My name is Sicile and I have T1D. I am 18 years old and have had diabetes for 8 years. None of my family or friends have T1D, I have searched for groups and other locals that might have it but i can’t seem to find anyone around considering I live in a small town. In the last year or so I have been having a hard time with my doctors and parents, trying to give me advice and control my T1D. I feel as if no one really gets it, and I do not want anyone to feel sorry for me. All I have wanted is someone to talk to, about how it get frustrating some nights, or how it gets tiering after so long. I am getting burnt out, I am sick of needles, I am tired of not sleeping through the night because my blood sugar has gotten low or high, and so on. Tonight was a bit rough so I came looking for people who understand.

Sicile,
Sorry to hear about your burnout with T1D! I’m not sure what to say except that we all deal with it. You were so young when diagnosed. I was 32 at diagnosis, I’m 58 now. My best piece of advice follows along the lines of the serenity prayer…change the things you can, accept the things you can’t change & seek the wisdom to know the difference. (Somewhat paraphrased) FYI, one of the things I found helpful in sleeping they the night is my CGM. It does alarm when I go high or low, but I stay in range more and that helps. Good luck and please don’t hesitate to stay in touch.
Kathy S

Hi. I was diagnosed at 14, but a long time ago (1976). What questions do you have? I am sure we all had the same ones.

Hi Sicile,

I hope you’re having a better night thus far today than yesterday! I’ve been there, done that. I’ve had diabetes for 21 years now (Diagnosed at age 4, now 25) and know what you mean about the burnout. I went two years of just not taking care of myself, let my A1C get up to 12.2, and just wrote myself off. For me personally, I just gave up. I was tired of all the injections. Tired of all the testing. I would do my basal shots, but just only did my bolus shots when I felt high. If I was low, I’d over correct and not worry about where my bloodsugar landed. My turning point for me was when I met my fiancé. She has been there to help me when I’ve fallen, and has helped me to get back up again and keep going. The other change that truly helped me was getting a CGM, and switching from injections to a pump. I feel like both of these as a combination help me significantly in controlling T1D. My A1C is down to 8 now and working to get to 7. If you ever need anything, feel free to reach out. T1D sucks, but it’s better with friends :slight_smile:

Hi Sicile,

My name is Jackie and I’m 19, I have had diabetes for 17 years now and I completely understand about no one getting it and parents and doctors nagging and pushing about better control!! I get so annoyed and frustrated too!
Recently things have been a lot better as I’ve finally come out of my diabetes burnout.

I’d be very happy to become pen pals and chat more if you are interested, it’s always nice to have someone to talk to that understands the 24/7 struggle :slight_smile:

Hey Sicile,

My name is Sophie, and I was diagnosed at 18! I’m 21 now and still struggle with TID on the daily. Let me know if there’s anything you want to talk about in general! From personal experience, having someone to vent to is definitely healthy and can help get you through the every-day struggles.