Hypoglycemia and nightmares

Has anybody experienced having hypoglycemia after a bad dream? Does the bad dream cause hypoglycemia or does hypo cause the nightmare?

Well...i havent really had a bad dream in forever but when i get low at night i wake up sweating and tired...i can tell when im low...but there is like a coinsidence when u wake up from a bad dream and when u wake up and ur low...cuz in both cases ur shaking and sweating..but idk..good question..lets see what other people say

I am so happy that you posted this question!

I do not believe that bad dreams cause hypoglycemia, I believe it is the other way around. Just like when you are awake and get in a bad mood because of a high your brain also gets in a bad mood when you are asleep and lets us know through bad dreams.

Stress causes bad dreams in normal circumstances (i.e. not having to do with sugar levels.) But this special hypoglycemia caused stress  affects your brain's functioning, touches it directly, if you will.

My hypothesis is that when you have very bad dreams you also will have ketone.

I had a dream that I went to Burger King and ordered a giant burger, fries and milk shake and then went to Wendy's and ordered the same thing.  I woke up and checked my blood sugar and I was 50!  Funny thing is I'm a vegetarian.  I actually get a feeling when I'm sleeping that I can only describe as uncomfortable and when I feel that way I am always low.  I do have dreams and attribute them to the low.

when i was younger, i used to read mystery books and crime solving type of literature and i often dream about it. when i wake up, i'm sweating and shaky, blood sugar is usually low.. I was wondering if dreams affect blood sugar levels.

Also, even if I don't do a lot of activities, if I recieve a good news, get too excited, or get worried too much, blood sugar drops too. Maybe it's psychological..

when i was younger, i used to read mystery books and crime solving type of literature and i often dream about it. when i wake up, i'm sweating and shaky, blood sugar is usually low.. I was wondering if dreams affect blood sugar levels.

Also, even if I don't do a lot of activities, if I recieve a good news, get too excited, or get worried too much, blood sugar drops too. Maybe it's psychological..

I have been getting bad dreams and waking up low from the time i was first diagnosed till now. It is so crazy! but at least it wakes me up!

Casey seems to wake up from bad dreams when her levels are high - the other night she had one and she was over 300.

[quote user="stilledlife"]

I am so happy that you posted this question!

I do not believe that bad dreams cause hypoglycemia, I believe it is the other way around. Just like when you are awake and get in a bad mood because of a high your brain also gets in a bad mood when you are asleep and lets us know through bad dreams.

Stress causes bad dreams in normal circumstances (i.e. not having to do with sugar levels.) But this special hypoglycemia caused stress  affects your brain's functioning, touches it directly, if you will.

My hypothesis is that when you have very bad dreams you also will have ketone.

[/quote]

I tottaly agree with you, most of the time, i get n-nightmares when im high.

last night i had a horrible nightmare i woke up and i was 50

I don't have bad dreams I have strange dreams. Like so strange that once I wake up I know I'm low... without even testing. This happened a LOT more within the first couple days of starting my pump.

One of these dreams was like this:

I thought my car was stolen so i dreamt that i was walking the ENTIRE parking lot at school (this parking lot is huge would probably take a good two hours to walk around). I couldn't find my car. Then I realized I didn't have my keys so I researched the entire parking lot in between the cars for my keys. It was ridicoulous. So maybe dreaming about all that walking made me low!? haha

The only part I don't like... I never wake up to the dream I still always wake up to my alarm. Therefore, I never know I'm low until my alarm goes off.

I have had bad dreams where I wake up and have low blood sugar. This doesn't happen very often, so I am not sure of the correlation. Usually, my body wakes me up when my blood sugar goes really, really low and I am able to get up and get something to treat with. 

Sorry that is not much help!

Sometimes I will have weird dreams where I am eating a lot of food and when I wake up I feel really shaky and I am low. It is weird how I dream about eating, its like my body knows I need to eat so it makes me dream about it.

Haha dreaming about too much excercise makes ppl low..that would be SO weird haha!

And The times when i go to bed and my blood sugar drops in the night i end up having a hypo. seizure :/

When I am low I have weird dreams. I think it is the low that causes the weirdness. Plus being low for me makes the dreams so much more real. The worst is when you have one of the really, really bad lows, like lack of motor control lows, those dreams to me seem to be the most real and wierd. I truly think it is how the brain is responding to the lack of glucose in the body and how it processes things.

yea man, I have had some weird ass experiences with  going low... and horrible night mares like i have woken up either screaming or crying and every time that happens i am in a low and i am freaked out and i haven't taled to my doctor yet

I've seen that when I have a dream that puts me in a really bad situation - I end up in a loop I can't get out of it - and then I wake up and I'm low.  I am really glad to see that it is not just some wierd idea in my head that the glucose being low and the worst dreams I have are seemingly related.  I thought that this was my body's way of making me wake up and check sugar and eat.  I never realized that other people experience the same thing.  NOT really something I ever felt I could ask the doc about for fear it is some other awful thing wrong with me.  THANKS for the question, it makes me feel better.

I can definitely see a nightmare making you hypo if the dream makes you move around. I know when I have restless sleep I go hypo from the activity. 

i don't have nightmares when i'm hypoglycemic...i do have a certain type of dream, though.  I always have those dreams that are usually a warped version of everyday life.  For example, last time i was low and dreamed, I dreamed that I was just sitting in chemistry class and listening to a lecture and happened to notice that Bruce Willis was in my class...wierd example.