'While You Were Sleeping'... I went low!

So last night, (or actually this morning) I was lying in bed dreaming of Subway. I'd just gotten in the car, tested my bg (52), treated, and eventually took insulin for the sandwich (50 carbs). But then, of course, I was woken up for the day (meaning rah-rah, another morning).
Sort of a strange antidote there, but there is a point. After dreaming I was low, I got up and tested: 90. For me, another 15 minutes and that would have been a low.
It's happened to me a few times, where I'll dream I test my bg and am low. It's sort of funny how that works its way into my dreams. Ha ha, great! A conscious and unconscious diabetic!
Anyway, has anyone else experienced this? Could just be me. Or, also I have had dreams where I exercise a bunch, and then really do go low as if I really had.
Talk about your twilight zone diabetes!

PS
That title is supposed to be funny :) You know, the Sandra Bullock movie 'While You were Sleeping?' Because while I was sleeping, I went low... yeah. Not that great of a joke.

Haha^ That is pretty cool, haha an "unconscious diabetic" lol. I have honestly never had that before :) Would be cool though hehe.

LOL, this happens to me when I got low during the night.    I will wake up because I have a dream about eating something, I normally dont, (like brownies or cake)   Once I wake, I realize that I'm low......   So I get up, test, treat my low, then back to bed..... Usually I go low about an hour or tow before I have to get up.......

I also have a thyroid condition and at one point when my medication was all out of whack and was finally put on the right dose, it seemed to make my insulin MORE effective. for a week my parents had to come into me room and wake me up as i would fight and kick at them to avoid any bothering. I guess you could say i was unconscious because i do not remember kicking and punching at my own parents. anyways for a week i was waking up with a blood sugar around 50 or sometimes even less. Im so lucky to have parents that love and watch over me when things out of my control could have possible killed me =) =) =) love my mom and dad!!

lows are horrible

When I go low in my sleep I usually have a really good dream, that out of nowhere turns into a nightmare and I end up shooting straight up in bed, breathing hard, sweating alot, and usually have no idea where or who I am. After a few minutes I realize who I am and that I should check my bg and ill be really low

I know how this goes. It may totally sound creepy but my dream is always that i sit down like to watch a movie with my boyfriend (of four years) and he always looks at me and then gets my meter and checks and its so low that he gets sugar and thats when i wake up. I mean everytime. It is totally creepy but kinda nice to know that i will wake up.

Our son usually has bad dreams, lately it's been about fires and whatnot.  This is true if he's high or low, but we always thank him for waking us up and being brave.  We want him to know that he is always, always allowed to wake us up if he feels off.

Alyssa,

My first year away at college I used to sleep-walk and cook - but that wound up with me waking up high and mad  about the mess in the kitchen (also confused by the thank-yous from my roommates)… 

Before and since, I generally sleep my way through to some scary lows.  Be glad you wake up!

Cheers!

A-D

PS

the workout dream and low isn't so strange, I read about a study where they had folks visualize lifting weights and the subjects gained muscle mass...

I dream all the time when I am low (and not) and in my dream I am telling myself to go eat, I am low.  The lowest I have been (on record) was 18 and I was screaming.  My husband had to peel me out from under the table to get me to eat.  That was when I first started using the pump and had it calibrated way too high.  I am much better now, but when I wake up from one of those dreams and check my BS< it is about 50.

C

i don't remember any dreams. but i do wake up when my sugar is high or low.

[quote user="Alyssa"]

So last night, (or actually this morning) I was lying in bed dreaming of Subway. I'd just gotten in the car, tested my bg (52), treated, and eventually took insulin for the sandwich (50 carbs). But then, of course, I was woken up for the day (meaning rah-rah, another morning).
Sort of a strange antidote there, but there is a point. After dreaming I was low, I got up and tested: 90. For me, another 15 minutes and that would have been a low.
It's happened to me a few times, where I'll dream I test my bg and am low. It's sort of funny how that works its way into my dreams. Ha ha, great! A conscious and unconscious diabetic!
Anyway, has anyone else experienced this? Could just be me. Or, also I have had dreams where I exercise a bunch, and then really do go low as if I really had.
Talk about your twilight zone diabetes!

PS
That title is supposed to be funny :) You know, the Sandra Bullock movie 'While You were Sleeping?' Because while I was sleeping, I went low... yeah. Not that great of a joke.

[/quote]

that happens to me too! i dream i am low and then treat it and then i wake up and i really am low. and when i am high i always dream that i am drinking kool-aid, although i have no idea why haha

Almost everytime that I am low in the middle of the night I dream that I am.

A few of the times that I have drempt that I was low I would be dreaming and feel low, so I would test my blood sugar and it would be low so I go in the kitchen and start drinking juice.  All this is just a dream still.  I drink the juice, re-test, eat some peanut butter crackers and usually drink more juice and lay down.  (still dreaming!)

I end up becoming halfway awake and obviously feel like crap and super low, but my half awake/ half asleep brain thinks that I have already treated my low!  So I just continue to lay there waiting for my blood sugar to rise!

Luckily each time I have realized that I in fact did NOT treat, and I get up to actually treat it! 

I have yet to sleep through one, thank God I wake up (eventually) each time!

I can say that I have had dreams before where I wake up low or high, but they rarely happen. Most of the time, I will wake up in the middle of the night feeling extremely nauseated, run to the restroom, and end up lying on the bathroom floor, unable to get up or scream. I usually manage to crawl over to the cabinet and grabbing some glucose tablets that I have underneath the sink (in case something like that ever happens.) I eat the glucose tablets and lie there until I feel better. When I feel better, I get up, go to my nightstand and get my glucometer and test. Usually, it will still be pretty low so I have to go to the kitchen and get some juice and peanut butter. That only happens about once or twice a month, since I am on the pump. 

p.s.,

I thought that the title was funny! :)

When I go low in my sleep I simply wake up the moment I hit 52 with immense pain in my arms, chest, and head. It is my life saving alarm clock.

I go low mostly all the time when, i am asleep or close to bed! The lowest it has gone at night is 18 and i drank a milkshake and it still did not go up do I ate 2 peices of cake! It was the scariest night of my entier life!:-(

i have never really dreamed of being low but i tend to dream of like earthquakes or something like that because i get superrrr shaky when im low.

actually one time i couldnt tell if i was low or just an earthquake. hahahhah it actually turned out to be bothh.

I don't ever recall having dreams about being low when I'm low. but I always wake up and if I don't have to pee I know my sugar must be low. lol

i never dream about being low, but if i ever feel low in the middle of the night, usually i'll be really shaky, which is more noticeable after i've been low for a while.  then i eat the glucose tabs next to my bed and fall back asleep (i'm a bad person, i'm always too tired/scared to test).  in the morning though, if i'm really confused and don't know where i am/feel like i'm dreaming, it means i'm about 50 - if i'm lower i don't wake up.

i dont really have dreams when im low or high. but i very good at waking up when im low or high but if im lower than 40 i dont test i just find my self in the kichen eating bread and drinking milk. this happens every time even though i keep food in my room.

My blood sugar has been staying around 100 when I wake up in the morning, which is actually considered too high for fasting blood sugars.  I've never experienced a low during the night or early in the morning, (Thank God) but I've heard that it is quite common for diabetics to have dreams that are going low, and wake up to find that they are experiencing a low. 

Try having a light snack before bed time; maybe something consisting of 15g of carbs or less.  That way, when you wake up, you won't be too high, but you won't experience a low.  If this happens too many times, maybe talk to your doctor and see what he/she thinks.