Stress and Diabetes

Ugh. So today has not been my best day as far as stress and diabetes go....I got a speeding ticket today. As if that wasn't terrifying enough, I felt low almost instantly as I pulled over to the side of the road. My heart was racing and I was shaking and I felt like I had just taken 20 units of insulin for nothing at all! Not a fun moment. Does anyone else feel really low when they get super stressed? For the record, I checked about half an hour later and was at 88...Not terrible but... I had been running up in the 190's today. That incident sure dropped my sugar quick! Anyone wanna loan me 150 bucks? :(

Well, you had a panic attack. It had little to do with your diabetes, all in all. I know stress can raise blood sugar, but I'm not sure about lowering it. Good news is; a panic attack can't hurt you. They're not fun, but hey, you're still here. Here, and $150 poorer.

When I get stressed my blood sugar lowers too. I get anxiety and I find it makes my heart race and my blood sugars drop.

I tend to go low when I'm nervous, high when I'm stressed.

Hope your day has improved!!!

Oh man, tickets suck!

While I don't find stress makes my BG actually go low, I often have a lot of the same symptoms.  Dizziness, the racing (or skipping) heart, feeling out of breath, etc.  In fact, during the first couple of weeks after diagnosis, I was checking my BG constantly because the high stress I was under had me feeling like I was about to swoon!

Now I notice that when I feel stressed I check my blood sugar and most of the time I am on the way to getting low  or low.

When I am anxious I check my blood sugar and I am going downward or low. Seems like anxiety for me is usually a symptom of low blood sugar. I also put my hand out and if it is shaking I know I am low and check and eat.

I've found low blood sugar and anxiety attacks feel the same. I know when it's anxiety, though, because something triggers it. I've had my blood sugar be fine and during/after an anxiety attack be half of what it was. Either way when I start feeling that way I know I'm going low.

I'd like to respond and add to this post; in the past, stress has usually made my numbers suffer and drop into the 40s. Now that I am older (24) and have so much going on (I feel like I'm having a quarter life crisis) my numbers are so high. It was 441 this morning (fasting) and before lunch and after corrective insulin, it went UP to 490!!! I work in the medical field and have a high stress job, and I am also suffering from personal issues. Why are my numbers so high? Could anxiety and maybe depression be playing a role?

Wow! Thats crazy ridiculous blood sugar! I hate highs...get really bad headaches. Stress can definitely raise it up too. Are you on a pump? Usually if I'm not stressed or anything and my sugar's up there it's because I have a kinked pump site. Other times I've simply forgotten to take insulin or am just plain sick and stressed out. It's a trying disease for sure :(

[quote user="Elena"]

Wow! Thats crazy ridiculous blood sugar! I hate highs...get really bad headaches. Stress can definitely raise it up too. Are you on a pump? Usually if I'm not stressed or anything and my sugar's up there it's because I have a kinked pump site. Other times I've simply forgotten to take insulin or am just plain sick and stressed out. It's a trying disease for sure :(

[/quote]

I go back and forth between pumping and injecting; my insurance doesn't cover the pump supplies too well, so when I see my doctor, she'll give me pump supply samples for my Medtronic Paradigm. I feel sooo much better when I am pumping and I don't have those ridiculous numbers.