Take the challenge: cut out pop!

so let's be honest...pop isn't good for you, whether it's regular pop or diet pop.

i've done it before and felt sooo much better, on top of losing a lot of the stomach weight i was carrying (i've packed it back on, so i'm trying to get rid of it again). diet pop apparently makes you retain water weight, so i think that's why i was able to slim my stomach down, even while still doing shots there.

i've been drinking diet coke for so long now, that i have to water it down when i do drink it!

i drink quite a bit, normally sprite with gin, i'm going to replace it with OJ with gin instead (i'm not a toxic water drinker, it's so gross). instead of drinking pop..gonna some juice(yes it means an extra shot or an extra bolus for some of you, but it's better!), milk, water, crystal light(my fav)!

when i gave it up the first time, the first two weeks were the worst, but i felt better after that and i managed to drink it only occasionally for a few months after that before i started drinking it regularly again.

who wants to take the challenge with me? at least one month without three drinks that involve diet or regular pop (that allows you to cheat a bit and gives you one pop drink a week).

(the exception would be regular coke in order to treat a low of course)

i will take it with u.

i only drink my sody when i'm desparate for caffeine.

dietitian says it's ok! :D

sweet! high five eric!

let's see who else will join us and then set a start date :)

[quote user="C"]

i only drink my sody when i'm desparate for caffeine.

dietitian says it's ok! :D

[/quote]

haha so you're already doing this =P

well, kind of. i didn't stop drinking it because i think it's bad for me. i needed to cut down on my ridiculous caffeine intake. so, i'm kind of already doing with you i suppose. does that count? can i be half way in? haha.

Ooooh this will be tough.  I can only drink water so long before I need something with flavor.  Ummm...  maybe I'll try this...   maybe...  :D

I'm in! I live off caffeine so it would probably be a good idea if i stopped! lol (:

[quote user="C"]

well, kind of. i didn't stop drinking it because i think it's bad for me. i needed to cut down on my ridiculous caffeine intake. so, i'm kind of already doing with you i suppose. does that count? can i be half way in? haha.

[/quote]

we'll say it counts cuz you're awesome ;)

[quote user="Kim"]

Ooooh this will be tough.  I can only drink water so long before I need something with flavor.  Ummm...  maybe I'll try this...   maybe...  :D

[/quote]

yeah i HATE water so i use crystal light single packs in a water bottle. helps a lot. it has flavour but it's not pop! :)

[quote user="Katie"]

I'm in! I live off caffeine so it would probably be a good idea if i stopped! lol (:

[/quote]

awesome :)

I've basically always used it as a treat (diet or regular for a low). I think it's in part due to my age. When I was little, there were only 2 things available as diet - Tab and Fresca. That was it. And then there was a phase where the artificial sweetener that was used for them was banned and the only thing we could get in our area was this horrible fake ginger ale that you had to add Sucaryl (anyone remember that liquid crap?) to make it palatable. So as I got older,  I got into the habit of drinking club soda with artificially sweetened Kool-Aid or just stuck with teas and herbal teas.

Now, what I treat myself with is Diet Dr. Pepper. I'm drinking one right now and I love it! But I still keep it to a minimum just because there is so much weird stuff in there and I try to eat/drink mainly natural foods.

Cora

Wierd, I started this about a month ago out of the blue. I too wanted to cut back on my diet soda intake. I am now down to about one drink a week. Truthfully I live off of crystal light now, which is fine I do love it. Another good replacement to pop is flavored seltzer water. I especially like the Polar Pomegranate. I don't know how much healthier all of these options are, but it is far less chemicals than in diet pop. Good luck, it can be done.

Dan 

Once upon a time, I stopped drinking soda entirely.  I do think it made me feel better.  It's something I may do again... or I may give myself a break and let myself drink a limited amount of diet soda.  It's the one nearly-limitless treat I have.  I don't have to count the carbs, take insulin for it, or worry about fat and cholesterol.

Though, one thing I do differently: I almost entirely exclude diet sodas with aspartame/nutrisweet.  It's not the only culprit, but it's one of the diet ingredients that makes you feel bad (and it has a much stronger effect on my mood than it does on most people, too).  So I get stuff sweetened with Splenda or stevia.  A lesser evil, I suppose.

I'm not a fan of sweetners in general. I was raised on the thoughts that it's better to have regular sugar (i prefer cane or brown sugar though) than artificial sweetners, even if it means another shot. I also hate the taste of sweetners, so the few times i've tried to give them a shot in my tea..i end up pouring it out. i think that's why i have to water diet pop down..cuz i've grown to hate that taste haha.

i'm mostly not a fan of pop because its got so many chemicals, i'd rather have juice..even if it means another shot..but pop is everywhere it's hard to avoid....especially when you drink hard alcohol cuz sometimes its the only option for a mix! haha

I've been wanting to cut down on my diet soda consumption, but I was more concerned with the artificial sweeteners.  It sucks because that rules out crystal lite and all of those other diet powdered drink mixes, which I like.  Are you guys concerned with the sodium or something else?

Molly

[quote user="Molly"]

I've been wanting to cut down on my diet soda consumption, but I was more concerned with the artificial sweeteners.  It sucks because that rules out crystal lite and all of those other diet powdered drink mixes, which I like.  Are you guys concerned with the sodium or something else?

Molly

[/quote]

does crystal light have artificial sweeteners? i've never checked, it's about the only non-sugar drink i can actually stand to drink without wanting to water it down(well more than it already is).

I'm trying to quit diet pop, too. I've heard of a pop called "Zevia", that is supposed to be naturally sweetened, but I don't know about other chemicals. Looking at the nutrition info, it has 0 sugar, but around 11-15 carbs. And, I have no idea what "erythritol" is, but I'll look it up soon.

So, to make a long story short, I'll do my best to cut out diet pop. I'm also trying to cut out sugar...so, you'll have to bear with me if I break down and drink an extra diet pop or five :)

[quote user="Batts"]

does crystal light have artificial sweeteners? i've never checked, it's about the only non-sugar drink i can actually stand to drink without wanting to water it down(well more than it already is).

[/quote]

yeah, it does. crystal light is made with sucralose (splenda).  it used to be made with aspartame, but they switched a few years ago.

ralfe, i think erythritol is a sugar alcohol (but i can't remember for sure)

[quote user="ralfe1315"]

I'm trying to quit diet pop, too. I've heard of a pop called "Zevia", that is supposed to be naturally sweetened, but I don't know about other chemicals. Looking at the nutrition info, it has 0 sugar, but around 11-15 carbs. And, I have no idea what "erythritol" is, but I'll look it up soon.

[/quote]

I've been drinking that stuff on and off for probably 6 months now.  It's delicious and has zero effect on my blood sugar.  I say give it a try!