Smell of insulin?

i was just wondering if anyone else thought the smell of insulin is gross. i have been a diabetic for almost 3 years but i still can't stand the smell of insulin.

i find it comforting when i DO smell it, which is rare cuz i'm so used to it. probably cuz i've known the smell since i was 6. haha. my ex used to HATE the smell of insulin. always complained that it smelled like the hospital.

People keep saying that they hate the smell. I can't smell it at all!

[quote user="Batts"]the smell of insulin. always complained that it smelled like the hospital.[/quote]

My friends all wanted to see what insulin looked and smelled like a few months ago when I was on my pump break. I dialed an extra unit or two on my pen and let them see the drop. One kid claimed it smelled like a Chinese hospital. One other agreed. I still don't know how they would even know that smell.

[quote user="Carrie Grady"]

[quote user="Batts"]the smell of insulin. always complained that it smelled like the hospital.[/quote]

My friends all wanted to see what insulin looked and smelled like a few months ago when I was on my pump break. I dialed an extra unit or two on my pen and let them see the drop. One kid claimed it smelled like a Chinese hospital. One other agreed. I still don't know how they would even know that smell.

[/quote]

weird. he said it smells like the hospital cuz it smells like the cleaning supplies they use. that sanitizer smell when you walk into the ER from the outside.

I like the smell of insulin, but I hate smelling it cuz it means my site malfunctioned, otherwise I shouldnt be semlling it, but it reminds me of hospital :)

I agree.  It has a sanitized smell to it.  I don't mind it though.

[quote user="Batts"]

i find it comforting when i DO smell it, which is rare cuz i'm so used to it. probably cuz i've known the smell since i was 6. haha. my ex used to HATE the smell of insulin. always complained that it smelled like the hospital.

[/quote]

This ^, well part of it. I think it smells like hospital. Nothing specific just smells very medical. So yeah, like a hospital

My husband is convinced it smells like band aids. I don't mind the smell, to me it smells like anything else that is labeled sterile like bandages, cotton, etc.

[quote user="Happy Vegan"]

My husband is convinced it smells like band aids. I don't mind the smell, to me it smells like anything else that is labeled sterile like bandages, cotton, etc.

[/quote]

My husband also says it smells like "band aids"!  That is so funny!

I am not a big fan of the smell of insulin, however without the smell I would never know if I had a leaky infusion set. I remember on the day of my pump start I was unaware of the fact that the infusion site did not go in fully. So I am watching my numbers climb and my nurse just thinks that the basals are wrong and we are adjusting things. After six hours of trying to get the Basal's and Bolus' straightened out I thought to take the role of investigator and started sniffing around and realized it was due to infusion set leakage. So the smell to me is the warning. I will sometimes now due to priming randomly smell insulin and panic until I first smell my hand and realize that I just missed a drop of it when I washed my hands.

It is distinctive and in the end very beneficial.

know what doesn't taste good i discovered today?

insulin mixed with blood. haha

[quote user="Batts"]

[/quote]

Ewe. Gross. Iron sanitized band aids is the taste I am imagining. ha ha.

I don't recommend this to anyone but when I was younger I tasted my insulin. It was so nasty.

i also think it's a gross smell, but my boyfriend lovees it. it's weird, sometiimes he disconnects my pump just to smell it.

i also think it's a gross smell, but my boyfriend lovees it. it's weird, sometiimes he disconnects my pump just to smell it.

Batt's I sympathize with you. I think I may have accidentally tasted some on my finger before, just the smell makes me never want to do it again. Granted the blood probably took some of the nasty from it.

[quote user="Brian"]

Batt's I sympathize with you. I think I may have accidentally tasted some on my finger before, just the smell makes me never want to do it again. Granted the blood probably took some of the nasty from it.

[/quote]

yeah i did it by mistake and i'm pretty sure i've tasted it before but it was a loooooong time ago.

did my lantus through my pants at my desk....next thing I know there's blood coming outta the hole(got it on my pants UGH right as work was starting..) put my finger on it to stop the drop from dripping then put it in my mouth....YUCK!

[quote user="Happy Vegan"]

[quote user="Batts"]

[/quote]

Ewe. Gross. Iron sanitized band aids is the taste I am imagining. ha ha.

I don't recommend this to anyone but when I was younger I tasted my insulin. It was so nasty.

[/quote]

haha it totally tasted like bandaid..

My boyfriend once got it on his finger and says its the nastiest smell. it tried to convince me that it was my insulin, but I didn't believe him, cause I can't smell it. He refered to it more as death, though.

My husband and I think our daughters insulin smells like Chemo. My husband went through cancer treatment and the smell of his Chemo meds smell just like Insulin. When we prime our daughters pump and let out a little to much insulin and the smell is strong my husband has to walk away or it makes him sick to his stomach.