Oprah

After watching the oprah show yesterday and seeing the lack of/confusing information about type 1 diabetes I have gone to her website and sent an email urging her to discuss type 1.  I plead for all of you that feel the same way to also send her an email.  Before the show moms already said things like "maybe she will grow out of it", "maybe if she exercises", and "I can't believe she is diabetic, she is so thin".  I fear after last nights show that it will be worse.  While I do feel type 2 needs to be discussed, they did not seperate out type 1 from type 2

Hi Becky,I missed it and there is something I saw in the blogs here that I want to read too.I have something like this on my mind today too.I may post on it later.Tell me what to do because I so agree.I will go to her website ,Thank you...

Hi, let me know who to respond to.  the public should now the differnce between type ! and Type 2 diabeties.  Oprah should know the differnce.

[quote user="Mark1212"]

Hi, let me know who to respond to.  the public should now the differnce between type ! and Type 2 diabeties.  Oprah should know the differnce.

[/quote]

She can't hear you while she's swimming in her pool of 100 dollar bills

who can hear us ? She would have been my pick,what bigger voice than Oprah..She is on all forms of media and press.She has tv shows like Dr.Phill and She may be part of the reason Dr.OZ now has his own show.I never knew of him till he was on her show.She may own his show.Who does not know her name and I feel she has a big heart.I have not got the info yet on what went on but I think she would listen if we came to her with open hearts and minds.She might even want to correct what wrong has been done.Maybe just maybe she is not too big in the show biz world that she won't stop and listen to us. She has been known to be tenderhearted towards children.Maybe we could have the little ones write and send emails and letters along with the rest of us..

I

I was going to post something about this too! I was watching all these animations and stuff that were clearly type 2 and I timed it, it took Dr. Oz 11 minutes into the show to mention there is type 1 and type 2. The image of his analogy of blood sugar and glass has me a little freaked out, I can't get the image (or thought) out of my head. I finally heard him say, very briefly, that type 1 is genetic and can't be reversed but can be treated. Anybody who watched that show and missed ANY of it has been horribly mis-informed!

[quote user="Trish"]

I was going to post something about this too! I was watching all these animations and stuff that were clearly type 2 and I timed it, it took Dr. Oz 11 minutes into the show to mention there is type 1 and type 2. The image of his analogy of blood sugar and glass has me a little freaked out, I can't get the image (or thought) out of my head. I finally heard him say, very briefly, that type 1 is genetic and can't be reversed but can be treated. Anybody who watched that show and missed ANY of it has been horribly mis-informed!

[/quote]

Oops, misprint. Dr. Oz's exact words were, "Type one is genetic and can't be prevented, but it can be treated." Not saying much is it?

just remembered this,Oprah loves Mary Tyler Moore and had her on her show once.She had the whole set made to look like her old show-There is one open door...And could someone who writes well put together a letter that could be posted anywhere on her Oprah site and we could get many people to sign it.Then back it up with our own emails,letters.etc...I am not sure anything like this is possible.May be too pie in the sky.I just would like to see something positive and even tho I am frustrated about it.I don't want to send a lot of angry mail,That might just turn them away and get us no voice..

wish i would have seen the show now (as it would be better basis to write then i heard that on your show this or that was said).

I didn't watch the show b/c I knew it would make me mad, but I sent her an email this morning anyways once I heard what "Dr." Oz had said. Tell everyone you know to write letters. It's a matter of simple research by the research dept to know the difference between T1 and T2!!!!

Not an afterthought--in blogs here.This is what I keep trying to get to-to read...I missed both these shows and want to know what all was said.

If you did miss it I believe you can watch it online at Oprah.com   that is also where you can contact her.  Just go to the contact us  area on theweb site. I feel that a personal response from one of the many affected by type 1 may possibly help sway her to get the word out about type 1.

If you can,please go to blogs and read what I mentioned above..click on the name Kerri-she does --Six until me-and I  believe she is on dlife site ??? Go Kerri..so well said and I agree--

if oprah talks about it then the hold world will fall under her spell and there will be a cure soon! because anything oprah says people do. one day oprah will be president and she will have a vote to change the name from USA to USO United Sates of Oprah. and people would vote yes

Dr. Oz ran a segment on D about a month ago.  The main message was tha D could be prevented, treated and reversed.  He mentioned nothing about T1, at all.  I did write him about my concerns about his message,  I guess he did not take it to heart if he went on Oprah and was still not clear about T1.  He should devote more than a few minutes about T1.  I guess T2 is more newsworthy and catch so to speek.

Kim

[quote user="Sarah"]

I didn't watch the show b/c I knew it would make me mad, but I sent her an email this morning anyways once I heard what "Dr." Oz had said. Tell everyone you know to write letters. It's a matter of simple research by the research dept to know the difference between T1 and T2!!!!

[/quote]

For what it's worth, "Dr." Oz, is an MD, but he's a cardiac surgeon. Not an endo or even a general practioner, internist, etc. I guess I don't hold him up to be much of a Diabetes expert. Was he the only doctor on the show? Wouldn't seem to hard to find an endo or two to come on as well.

[quote user="Adriana S"]

if oprah talks about it then the hold world will fall under her spell and there will be a cure soon! because anything oprah says people do. one day oprah will be president and she will have a vote to change the name from USA to USO United Sates of Oprah. and people would vote yes

[/quote]

hahaha Thank you Adriana :) That made me smile :)

I read Kerri Sparling's blog "Six until me."  It was a great piece.  My husband DVR'd the show and I will watch it before the weekend is over. I will then go to Oprah's website and submit my comment.  I hope everyone who saw the show will post a comment, so that she will know that she got it wrong.

Here is my two cents...I sent this to the Chicago Tribune letters to the editor:

This is an open letter to Oprah and Dr. Oz and their recent show in diabetes. To put is nicely, the show was terrible, it was full of inaccurate information, myths, medical information that is not true and was very offending to a portion of the diabetes community who live with or take care of Type 1 Diabetes.

The general opinion of the show is pretty strong in the T1D community. Blogs such as tudiabetes.org, juvenation.org, hildrenwithdiabetes.com, www.diabeticconnect.com, www.ninjabetic.com, d-mom.com, and ixuntilme.com are a few that have spoken. Oprah, how about doing a show on the reality of Type 1 Diabetes, no celebs, no fallacies, no ill-informed medical professionals, and no children only stories.

The number new T1Ds has gone up 2.5 times over the last few decades, and still, the medical community, the general public and TV have little understanding of what T1D is, what causes it, how it is managed, what the current technology is for curing or more effectively managing T!D.

Although I cannot speak for the entire T1D community, I again have been disappointed with another opportunity to educate the public about T1D and spread the truth.

Please make up for the bad, incorrect and offensive information presented in this recent show on Diabetes (All kinds, Type 1, Type 1.5, LADA, Gestational, Type 3 (people who care for T1Ds), Pre-Diabetes and Type 2.

Side note: Dr. Oz brushed off Type 1 because "it's only 10% of the diabetic population." Some of his comments made me feel like he thinks T1s are doomed and that's why he wasn't focusing any attention on them. Maybe I'm just being over sensitive and he thinks T1 just isn't a big enough problem for his time.

A more positive note: A while back I saw an episode of "The Doctors" that was all about Type 1and they got everything right. They even had a 7 year old boy and his mom there to share their personal experience.