Sherri Shepard has a miniscule brain and a big fat mouth!

I just need to vent this.  Anyone watch The View on Wed.?  The topic was about taxing fast food resturaunts.  Long story short.....Sherri pointed out that JUVENILE DIABETES is on the rise due to poor diet and lack of funding in schools for proper PHY ED classes.  Oh hell no I thought to myself.  Went to their message board and not so kindly told her she needs to correct this misinformation on air in all fairness to the T1 community.  Everyone on Juvenation should post their thoughts on this and maybe the fool will retract her comment on air.  Thanks for listening!

Movy  

I did not see the show, but am going to respond as well.  Maybe, if enough of us contact them they will consider a segment on the show dedicated to highlighting the differences between the two.  I get so tired of hearing these types of comments!!

I didn't know much about the difference before my son was diagnosed but if you are on a national television program, you should probably do your research before opening your big trap.  Seriously disgusts me but I hear this misconception/misinformation all the time.  I am going to their website to post.

well she's a dummy anyway. have you ever listened to her? she's the one who said the earth was flat. what an idiot!

What we should do is bombard them with emails about how they should do a show on type 1 diabetes/ juvenile diabetes. Ask that they not just have children but also adults on who deal with the illness so to inforce the fact that we don't outgrow it and that we will die in a very short time without our insulin. Also the cost, that insulin is not a cure, what happens if we mess up in our care. Also enforce the idea of the hope that we have for a cure. Put faces to type 1 for them and the thousands of viewers who din't know who we are.

I bet with the support of this website we could actually get quite a few pititions filled out through the member base here. This opertunity we have is not being used to its fullest yet =)

She messed up on her wording, but the wording it frick'n tricky. =_= I hate it too. Each flame of anger is a flame of opertunity if you can direct the light and the passion it brings.

The more I think about it the more angry I get.  I did send a message to the "contact us" portion of their website yesterday.  I was very blunt about the fact that I am angered that she insuated that my beautiful four year did something to cause this disease.  I also include the link to my video that I made of him for JDRF fundraising.  I hope someone actually watches it. 

You used to be able to e-mail the co-hosts directly but I couldn't find that option anywhere on the site now.

I really hope we bombard them with messages!

I also just found an e-mail address for Sherri on her official website.

sherri@sherrishepherd.com

I sent an e-mail there too!

Hello everyone,I see this as one place a real change can happen.The View is a top show-one I even saw Mary Tyler Moore on. I went back and looked,she was on there Thur,April 2nd,2009.She was there to promote her book-Growing Up Again.She told of her life with type 1.I was very exicted watching this,but she was on too short of a time.Sherri talked about the diabetes handprints.If we all just take a minute to send emails to The View and to Sherri,maybe they will hear us and do a better job to bring understanding about type1.I know if the mix up between type1 and type2 would just stop-alot of anger,hurt,and painful remarks said to type1 would be less.I am glad this was posted.I will send my emails.Then we will see if they get enough if they will respond and help us.Maybe if The View listens ,we could move on and email others.Awareness is so needed !!

Hi to all. I am not a parent of a T1...so sorry to crash your group, however I think this really needs to be addressed. I am not much of a television watcher( nor a watcher of The View), and one of the reasons for that is misinformed people with microphones. I know that this Sherri woman has a special needs child, from an article I read. I highly doubt that she herself would like to turn the television on to hear an uninformed opinion about her child's disease. This is not okay. Type 1 children have to deal with enough, I know I was one. These children do not need this misinformed woman speaking for them to a naive/ignorant public, who will in turn tell their children these lies about T1 children causing further teasing and etc. I have wrote to ABC, The View, and Sherri, and will continue to write to any one and any company that promotes such ignorance. Thanks for posting and letting me crash the group for a time :)

Just sent a note to the network.  Thanks for pointing this out.  No wonder getting correct information out there is so difficult, when high-profile people with T2 don't even know enough about their own disease to distinguish it from T1.  Very frustrating.

Mo

[quote user="Monique H"]

Just sent a note to the network.  Thanks for pointing this out.  No wonder getting correct information out there is so difficult, when high-profile people with T2 don't even know enough about their own disease to distinguish it from T1.  Very frustrating.

Mo

[/quote]

Hi Mo,

This is so true. A few years ago Halle Berry said in an interview that she used to be a type 1, but with diet an exercise was able to "ween herself off insulin" and now considers herself a type 2. You can imagine how frustrated I was. I think in this case it was more of an image thing, where she may not of wanted to be associated with a disease that is often (over 80% of the time)related to obesity. The number one reaction from people after telling them I am a Type 1 diabetic "but you're so thin", I wish I had a nickel for every time I have ever heard that :)

Happy Vegan just a small note, you are not crashing anybody's group, I figure we are all in this together :)

[quote user="Colbymama"]

Happy Vegan just a small note, you are not crashing anybody's group, I figure we are all in this together :)

[/quote]

Oh wow thank you so much. You just put the biggest smile on my face :)

O.K. I just can't let this go. Even with all the post that were left on the View's message board.  NADA as far as any type of retraction posted or air-time.  I had to join fricken twitter and tweet her.  Anyway, I started one If anyone is interested please go.  Maybe, just maybe she will see this personally. Hopefully, if enought of us do this she will retract her mistake on air.  Thanks to all that posted, I don't feel alone in this anymore.

I am right there with you on not being able to let it go.  I keep trying to think of who else I can contact regarding the misinformation that she is communicating.  I am not on twitter, but might now just to join you on there.

I just tweeted to her asking her if that's really what she said/meant since I didn't hear it. some other person just tweeted about me

@TinaMSays diet she start with the parents. some parents do care

which makes me madder cause he makes it sound like I did this to her. I have enough guilt with out some butt head making judgments!!!

(yes i know i didn't do anything to cause it but I'm a mom and can't help it.)

I'll post my tweets just so you get both sides - in all fairness.

TinaMSays@SherriEShephard last week did ureally say "JUVENILE DIABETES is on the rise due 2 poor diet & lack of funding in schools 4 proper PHY E ...

TinaMSays@SherriEShephard TYPE 2 maybe on the rise for those reasons. TYPE 1 (JUVENILE) DIABETES is completely different.

severaltries@TinaMSays diet she start with the parents. some parents do care

TinaMSays@severaltries Umm..ok read my second tweet. I'm not saying that watching what your kid eats/does is bad. saying Type 1 and Type 2 are diff.

TinaMSays@severaltries did that make sense? there is a difference & hate my kid getting treated like she is doing something wrong

TinaMSays@severaltries or that i as her mother don't care about you (how dare you imply that). just making sure the facts are out there.

oh.... i'm still so mad. sorry for the rant.