Oprah

guys, if we all want it changed, why don't we send one giant letter? if we get even half of Juvenation to sign it, that's several thousand people. Why would oprah/dr. oz/whoever not listen to a letter with several thousand signatures attached to it??

[quote user="meme"]And could someone who writes well put together a letter that could be posted anywhere on her Oprah site and we could get many people to sign it.Then back it up with our own emails,letters.etc...I am not sure anything like this is possible.May be too pie in the sky.I just would like to see something positive and even tho I am frustrated about it.I don't want to send a lot of angry mail,That might just turn them away and get us no voice..[/quote]

Oops. Sorry meme, didn't mean to steal your idea. I didn't see ur post. I agree completly though.

hahaha,I am glad you are thinking along the same lines :) I say lets put your sweet pic on the top of the letter-along with some others and tell me that won't get her attention.If it doesn't I will send one of my own along with a mean face and a angry note hahahha ! That for sure will get her notice,haha !! Thanks for a smile to brighten my morning :)

Orbit alert-ha !! Maria Rose,you made me think of something once I left here...WHAT IF : we all go to Wal-Mart or such and you know how they do the Christmas cards -we could have one side with a picture of whoever has type one and the other side with the family that cares and loves them....all the pics would need a saying or type1 symbol or to tie us all together to be one voice and unite us into many.There are over 8,000 members on Juvenation I believe,and add to that the families...We could have a saying at the top like TYPE 1 diabetes a ......... something short that tells in a short caughtie way what type1 is..-so the world will know type1 is different than type 2..then we could add at the bottom of it..TYPE 1--hear  our voice....something along that,,Gina could help us :) Send all these in because we all know a picture speaks a thousand words and bam !! we catch her heart and attention and my dreams have JDRF reps,Juvenation leaders and the little ones and such on her show.And any show Opra does is picked up and added onto other shows..Tell me the little faces of Type1 won't melt her heart.Maybe while I am dreaming,ha she could write a big ol check and hand it to Mary Tyler Moore to go towards to JDRF and the cure of type 1 diabetes....Yes I am a dreamer but dreams do sometime come true :)

Hi sjwprod,I am glad I have things come to my email because I had missed this.I see you like others on here-you not only talk the talk but you [quote user="sjwprod"]

Here is my two cents...I sent this to the Chicago Tribune letters to the editor:

This is an open letter to Oprah and Dr. Oz and their recent show in diabetes. To put is nicely, the show was terrible, it was full of inaccurate information, myths, medical information that is not true and was very offending to a portion of the diabetes community who live with or take care of Type 1 Diabetes.

The general opinion of the show is pretty strong in the T1D community. Blogs such as tudiabetes.org, juvenation.org, hildrenwithdiabetes.com, www.diabeticconnect.com, www.ninjabetic.com, d-mom.com, and ixuntilme.com are a few that have spoken. Oprah, how about doing a show on the reality of Type 1 Diabetes, no celebs, no fallacies, no ill-informed medical professionals, and no children only stories.

The number new T1Ds has gone up 2.5 times over the last few decades, and still, the medical community, the general public and TV have little understanding of what T1D is, what causes it, how it is managed, what the current technology is for curing or more effectively managing T!D.

Although I cannot speak for the entire T1D community, I again have been disappointed with another opportunity to educate the public about T1D and spread the truth.

Please make up for the bad, incorrect and offensive information presented in this recent show on Diabetes (All kinds, Type 1, Type 1.5, LADA, Gestational, Type 3 (people who care for T1Ds), Pre-Diabetes and Type 2.

[/quote]walk the walk..I want to say thank you for that.I also like that you thought of others with diabetes.I was saying this morn. that I wish the type 2 community would take us under their wing and give us a bigger voice.I failed myself to even think of the others that you mentioned such as Type 1.5 and LADY,Gestational etc.

I caught bits and pieces of this show. I told my Mom what about those of us with T1D??? Yes, we are a small % of the diabetics in the world but we are  also the most forgotten/overlooked !!! I agree the Mary Tyler Moore show would be a great idea, along with the letter. I'd sign it. We need more education about T1D !! Man if I had a dollar for everytime I said that I'd be rich. I always take any given opportunity to tell people about T1, even in school. If I have a different opinion or have had experience with the topic being discussed, I share my knowledge and thoughts. I have encouraged my classmates to ask me questions when/if they have them about T1. That's my way of "doing my part" to educate others.

[quote user="sjwprod"]

This is an open letter to Oprah and Dr. Oz and their recent show in diabetes. To put is nicely, the show was terrible, it was full of inaccurate information, myths, medical information that is not true and was very offending to a portion of the diabetes community who live with or take care of Type 1 Diabetes.

The general opinion of the show is pretty strong in the T1D community. Blogs such as tudiabetes.org, juvenation.org, hildrenwithdiabetes.com, www.diabeticconnect.com, www.ninjabetic.com, d-mom.com, and ixuntilme.com are a few that have spoken. Oprah, how about doing a show on the reality of Type 1 Diabetes, no celebs, no fallacies, no ill-informed medical professionals, and no children only stories.

The number new T1Ds has gone up 2.5 times over the last few decades, and still, the medical community, the general public and TV have little understanding of what T1D is, what causes it, how it is managed, what the current technology is for curing or more effectively managing T!D.

Although I cannot speak for the entire T1D community, I again have been disappointed with another opportunity to educate the public about T1D and spread the truth.

Please make up for the bad, incorrect and offensive information presented in this recent show on Diabetes (All kinds, Type 1, Type 1.5, LADA, Gestational, Type 3 (people who care for T1Ds), Pre-Diabetes and Type 2.

[/quote]

Hey sjwprod. Can we use this as like a group letter and have everybody on Juvenation sign it if they want, just maybe edited a little? It's well written...

I was really horrified after watching this show.  In the very begining they showed a 34 year old women with a double amputation of both feet, and on dialysis for kidney failure.  She looked awful and was a TYPE 1 diabetic.  This whole show was focused on TYPE 2 yet they show the horrific example with a TYPE 1.  It was a horrible misrepresentation on TYPE 1 because the poor lady said "I would eat cake and other things and think I could just take a little insulin and be fine but I am not."  It made it seem like TYPE 1 is doomed and she is the picture of it.  Dr. Oz did not explain that it is likely that she had very bad control and thus her result, he made it seem that she has diabetes, ate cake, took insulin and is dieing.  This very small amount of time on the show put the whole TYPE 1 myth back into action, eat sugar and die. 

I am so sick of the parents at school that give me the disapproving look during the parties when Emmie is eating something with sugar.  They always offer to bring her in something sugar free and I explain if they do then I will likely have to give her more insulin because alot of the sugar free stuff is actually worse with more carbs and she is not on any special diet she can eat anything your kid can eat.  I tell them this yet I know they don't believe me.

I hate that Oprah and Dr. Oz did this and so now all that watched it will take it as fact. 

-Meg (Emmies mom, diagnosed 10/29/09 at age 4)