Newly diagnosed

i was diagnosed a year and 26 days ago does that count as newly diagnosed?anyway im new to juvenation im 14 and looking for more type 1 diabetic friends.

My son is 10, maybe you guys can chat?

Hi I am Haley. I am 15 years old. I get what you are going through it has almost been a year for me living with t1d. I wouldnā€™t mind texting or snap chatting whatever way is easier for you to communicate.

hi @haley4 I am a volunteer moderator here - some of these threads are very old - this one in particular is 9 years old and so I do not think you will get a reply. Anyway I hope you find some teens to communicate with, did you try to look up your JDRF chapter? Sometimes they have additional resources, you can look here for T1N resources https://www.jdrf.org/t1d-resources/ and you can try the JDRF ā€œChapter Finderā€ here https://www.jdrf.org/chapter-finder/

good luck!

Iā€™m hoping our own @bookwormnerd13 sees this as well!

Hi, Haley, and welcome to TypeOneNation! Another teen literally just posted that she was looking for more teens with T1D, too:

And Abby @bookwormnerd13 who Joe mentioned above has a group Snapchat for teens

Let us know how it goes!

Hi. I just replied to her post about looking for teens with T1D. Thanks for letting me know

Ok. Thank you. I didnā€™t realize. Yes my mom already contacted the local JDRF Chapter. We are waiting to get a reply back.

1 Like

Thanks for the pings @joe and @srozelle !! Hey @haley4 and @claraanne - I would love to add both of yā€™all to one of my T1D teen groups! Pm me and we can trade contact info :slight_smile:

1 Like

Abby,
I was dx with T1D when I was 14 (in 1985) and all these years later, Iā€™m curious to know whether the ā€˜diagnosis storyā€™ is different now- hopefully better/more positiveā€¦.Iā€™m really interested in the differences between one personā€™s experience at dx vs another and how some people are scared off with language about ā€œcomplicationsā€ while others are told they can still live their normal lives!

Hi @amymercer . I was diagnosed in 1963, when I was a toddler. My parents are no longer here to ask but piecing together how it went Iā€™m sure my parents got the lecture on possible complications and expected lifespan for us at that time. My mom tried very hard to make sure I ate the right foods. I donā€™t believe we used the exchange plan or food pyramid, but back then it seemed moms were nutritionists and worked hard to make sure their kids ā€œate healthyā€ - diabetes or not. As I got older my mom started equating food choices with my long term diabetes health, and at some point my doctor introduced the ā€œcā€ word. I want to say I was around 10 when he did but Iā€™m not sure.
I have a theory that doctors have to invoke the term as part of their due diligence; but now I imagine those possibilities are more remote and less likely, since we have tools and knowledge we can use to keep them at bay. We need to know theyā€™re there but we can do what we can to prevent them - and treat them if they do happen.

1 Like