Newly diagnosed college freshman looking for t1d friends

HI! My name is Clara and I’m 18 and a freshman in college.
I got diagnosed with type one diabetes one month ago and would love to make some friends on here so we can be there for each other and share stories.

2 Likes

Hi Clara I’m Hannah! I’m 17 and have had diabetes for 6 years. I’ll be entering college this fall and am super excited. I’d love to answer any questions you have to the best of my abilities.

I do recommended that you read “think like a pancreas”. It is a treasure trove of knowledge.

hey Clara and Hannah! I’m 21 and am a senior in college. College has certainly tested diabetes with lots of physical and emotional ups and downs for me…I was diagnosed when I was 2 and a half!!

Hi I’m Adam I have had type one 33 years since I was 3 years old. I’m on a Medtronic pump it’s the best control I have had for the last 9 years of my life. It’s the best way I have found to help 6.5 A1c

Hey Clara I’m Devan!
I have been a T1D since September 2017 so I am still new to all this. I am 21 and still in college if you ever have any questions or just need someone to talk to feel free to message me!

Hi Clara! Welcome to the diabetes community! I’ve had T1D for 15 years and I’m a senior in college. Diabetes can be tough to manage, but especially hard when going to college! Feel free to message me and we can chat on here if you’d like.

Also, something cool at my college was they had a College Diabetes Network chapter where a bunch of other students with diabetes got together and shared stories about diabetes and college. Check out the link below to see if there’s a CDN chapter at your school! Also, they have amazing resources on their website that I’ve found really helpful and I hope they help you too!

https://collegediabetesnetwork.org/content/campus-chapters

1 Like

hi! I’m rachel and I’m 17! Ive been living with t1d for only 3 months. I would love to have a t1d friend

1 Like

Hey Clara,

My name is Lofton and I was also diagnosed right before heading to college. I was diagnosed 12 years ago tomorrow (May 23, 2006), which was the week of my senior high school prom. College can definitely be a challenge for diabetics. For me, seeing a diabetes educator and having support from family and friends was really helpful the summer before I went to college. Opening up about diabetes is very important too. It could save your life. I know a lot of type 1 diabetics that are embarrassed of it, but its honestly one of my favorite things to talk about. People are very supportive and interested when you tell them. Getting a continuous glucose monitor is probably the most beneficial thing you can do. It alarms you when your blood sugar is too high or too low. Make sure your roommate is aware, because it sometimes does go off in the middle of the night and can wake them up (but can also save your life). I am currently back in school (getting a nursing degree) and always tell my professors too. Its important that you eat when you need to eat or take insulin when you need to take insulin. Also, a pump is helpful in regulating. Anyway, feel free to message me or ask any questions! Good luck in college!

Hey All! Find a JDRF YLC committee near you! It is the Young Leadership Committee and they are in most major US locations. I have been a part of the YLC in SF, Silicon Valley and D.C. Let me know if I can connect you to one. They are awesome and hold various happy hours and fundraising events. All are welcome of all ages. Type one and friends of type ones. :slight_smile:

I’m 21 and was diagnosed when I was 8! I’m a junior in college, and I also joined the CDN chapter at my school! It’s an amazing support group, and we also work on advocacy on campus. If there isn’t a chapter at your school, it’s pretty easy to start one! Turns out there are 60+ type ones at my campus, and we had no idea until we started doing outreach!

Hello, Clara! I’m a 21 year old T1D and I’ve had it for 20 years. I love art, poetry, animals and music. I hope we can be good friends in time :blush: