New Member, "Old" Diabetic

Hi Fellow T1s. I just joined. I have had type one for about 35 years. I have complications in large part because I had an eating disorder for many many years. Arg. Now I am on mdi and trying my very best. A1C is around 6.7%.
One of my “coping” issues is hospital “care.” It is horrible unless they listen to me or my endo. I have been put into medical danger in the hospital more times than I can count. I have tried to complain and change things to no avail. Anybody else feel frustrated by “regular” doctors and nurses thinking they know what they are doing, but clearly don’t?

@Elizabetes,

WELCOME to TypeOneNation! Glad to have you here!

CONGRATS on your awesome a1c!!!

You’re right! It is a bit frustrating if you have to be hospitalized, and the nurses and medical staff have no idea about the newest technologies. But, think about how many different medical conditions they have to know about on a daily basis. It is pretty much impossible for them to know “everything”. Most of them are stuck in the diabetes old ages but there are some who are very caring and want to learn about pumps and cgm.

My biggest qualm with hospital care was when I was there to give birth and had to stay there for 5 days after my c-section.

They put me on a “diabetes meal plan” which I didn’t need and when i told them they said it couldn’t be changed, they wouldn’t let me use my own meter to check my blood.They were going to take my pump off during the c-section which was fine god forbid of an emergency, but, before that they were going to take the pump off if I had two blood sugars over 110 which seemed completely ridiculous! Complying to all of these things just to have a baby was completely annoying to me. The MOST annoying and frustrating of all, was when I was having a low blood sugar and fighting with a doctor to give me glucose. My meter said I was low, and their meter was saying I was in normal range. I was shaking and sweating when I finally told the doctor give me the damn glucose… my blood sugar is low. (I would have taken my own glucose but I ran out from when I was in labor). I should not have to fight with a doctor to give me glucose in any circumstance. I know my symptoms. So THAT I had a huge problem with. Doctors should know better.

Thanks for writing, Gina.
I realize drs and nurses have a lot to keep up with; that is why I believe that either an endo or the patient herself ought to be given charge over doses, food, etc.
Two winters ago I was in the hospital for unrelated reasons. I ended up in DKA BOTH times. One of those times (1 1/2 days), the doctor gave me NO long-acting insulin whatsoever and NO meal insulin. Even when I was in the 400’s, she would not give me insulin until I ate more. She might as well written me a prescription to go into DKA.
Anyway, I am sorry they took away your agency as well and would not give you sugar when you were so symptomatic.
Thanks again for the welcome to this site :).

@Elizabetes,

I hear you completely! Although I would love for someone else to take care of my diabetes once in a while! :slight_smile: It would be nice if they were educated about it though haha

Man that stinks so bad about your experience. Must have been so stressful. Youre right though, they may as well have written a DKA prescription for not giving you long acting! ::Shaking my head, and fists!!::

If at anytime you have a question or anything on the site please don’t hesitate to inbox me @gina!

And don’t forget the dr. would not give me meal insulin either. Overall my doses were cut by about 3/4. Oh, and to add insult to injury, the same dr. summarized that visit in part by saying I had been “treated for hyperglycemia!!” Huh?! I spoke with the head of the ER about that, and he said, “Well, I cannot force another doctor to change what they wrote.” This blatant lie did not seem to disturb him in the least. My blood sugar was perfectly normal when I arrived.
Thx for listening.

hi Elizabetes, and welcome!

I have had 2 surgeries and I just make it very clear that I will be taking care of the sugar, while they are free (within reason) to do their thing. otherwise I go somewhere else. It can be a nightmare if you don’t get approval to have your meds and your (fill in the blank: pump, needles, pens, even a meter!, etc.) I have heard nightmares before as well. You may refuse any “treatment” and you may also leave the hospital if necessary, at any time.

for me, after roles and responsibilities were all set, both times were awesome, not the surgery part, but the cooperation part, so I know it’s possible. sorry it was so bad for you.
'
hey glad to see another “long timer” in here. cheers!

I’m a sort of old timer too. I’ve only had D for 37 years and on this site you’ll hear from people who’ve had diabetes for 50 and 60 years. So we’ve just gotten started. =)

The lack of basic diabetes knowledge in the healthcare world is terrible. At least you’re knowledgeable enough to watch out for yourself. Some diabetics have terrible complications and/or are killed because of the outdated and stubborn arrogance of the medical community.

It’s motivated me to go back to school to become a diabetes educator. In my pre-nursing classes I’ve had faculty say the most outlandish things about diabetes. I have a family friend who graduated from med school about 3 years ago and he is taught similar, outdated, 1970 information about diabetes.

What I have learned to do is prepare as well as you can. Discuss with your doctor in advance anything you need and make sure it is in your chart. If it’s not when you get to the hospital, you can politely refuse any treatment that will cause you problems until your doctor is called and your chart is corrected. Nurses may mutter about you being a “non-compliant diabetic” but they aren’t the one who will be suffering from a dangerous high or low caused by the mistake. Be polite but firm.

Always take your own meter, insulin, glucose tablets, and food to the hospital.