Need advice with shots

Gavi started a very small dose of Lantus yesterday, and as expected, he freaked out when he saw the needle. After all, what 4 year old likes needles. He doesn't like surprises, he wants to watch us give him the shot. He loves cars so we bought some Hot Wheels cars as rewards (only for this week, I don't want him to expect something every time he gets a shot), but it doesn't really help. Does anyone have any advice or tips how to calm him down before the shot? We tell him 'it's time for your medicine', not 'it's time for your shot' hoping he wouldn't freak out as much, but once he sees the needle, freak out time. I know over time he will probably get used to it just like he got used to getting his fingers poked 4 times a day, but right now it's the beginning and I want to make him as comfortable as possible so he will get used to it sooner than later.

Do you use an insulin pen, or a syringe?  If you use a syringe, you might want to buy an Inject-Ease.  I had one as a kid, because I couldn't stand to see the needle.  You load the syringe in, and press the button on the side.  It pushes the needle into the skin, and then you still need to push down on the plunger.

I posted a similar question a couple of days ago, and someone suggested using a sticker chart like we did when we potty trained. It's working perfect. Ava is also 4, and has only been getting shots for a little over 6 weeks. I made up a chart with numbers on it and when she does a good job with her shot, no running away, no fighting she gets a sticker, when she gets 20 stickers she gets to pick where we go out to dinner. She loves to go out to dinner. (she gets 4 shots a day) And it's been amazing. We really haven't had a problem since we started it, and granted we're only a few days in, I'm very excited about it. 

If nothing else, maybe pulling some of those old potty training tricks will help.

For Ava she prefers her thighs for her shots, she seems to want to watch it. Plus we always let her pick out where she sits while we do her shot, and where on her thigh she gets the shot. 

Hope that helps. I'm sure it will take a few "tricks" to get him comfortable with it. Also if he has a toy that he can practice giving shots to, maybe that will help also. JDRF gives most kids a Rufus bear for this reason, and I think it helps a lot of them. 

Unfortunately there is probably no magic solution. My son was 3.5 yrs when dx'd. We had fights about everything at first. The 4 shots per day, eating when he was low. It sucked and we just had to go thru it until my son started to accept it.

The advice I would give is to stay calm yourself. Do not get into an argument, just be very matter of fact - it is time for your insulin. (He obviously knows this is a shot, so you can just say that now. Not worth getting 'medicine' associated with shot and having him freak the next time he needs ibuprofen or an antibiotic., just my opinion).  Then pick him up, get him on your lap and give the shot. If he is screaming and kicking, then you can put him in a 'hold' to keep from hurting you or himself. Stay calm. Just say that your body needs this insulin. When the shot is done give LOTS of hugs, kisses and praise and let him know that you wish there was a different way to give him the insulin, but it is something his body needs to work right. I think the sticker charts are a great idea - as then he can earn a bigger prize.

As far as the holds, you can put his legs between your legs and use your legs to keep him from kicking. Then you can slide his arms behind your back and use your elbow/arm to hold his chest against your side. He can not see the shot this way and you can give it in the butt or the thigh.

He will get used to it. My son after a while would just come over and pull his waistband down so we could do the shot. I think encouraging your son to talk about his feelings (after the shot) or during the day is also very good for him. Remember that this is a big adjustment for him. Just as you have lots of emotions about this, so does he and he needs help learning to talk thru those feelings.

I agree with Kari on the inject eaze. It really helped me growing up with shots. It also helps much later on when Gavi decides that he might want to do his own shots. One thing that helped me with my shots, and I know this sounds really dumb, was that my folks allowed me to call my shot a dirty word. My shot was referred to as a shi--- shot (you get the point). Simply, I think that this had me laughing more about diabetes and shots than worrying about them.

[quote user="JDVsMom"]

Unfortunately there is probably no magic solution. My son was 3.5 yrs when dx'd. We had fights about everything at first. The 4 shots per day, eating when he was low. It sucked and we just had to go thru it until my son started to accept it.

The advice I would give is to stay calm yourself. Do not get into an argument, just be very matter of fact - it is time for your insulin. (He obviously knows this is a shot, so you can just say that now. Not worth getting 'medicine' associated with shot and having him freak the next time he needs ibuprofen or an antibiotic., just my opinion).  Then pick him up, get him on your lap and give the shot. If he is screaming and kicking, then you can put him in a 'hold' to keep from hurting you or himself. Stay calm. Just say that your body needs this insulin. When the shot is done give LOTS of hugs, kisses and praise and let him know that you wish there was a different way to give him the insulin, but it is something his body needs to work right. I think the sticker charts are a great idea - as then he can earn a bigger prize.

As far as the holds, you can put his legs between your legs and use your legs to keep him from kicking. Then you can slide his arms behind your back and use your elbow/arm to hold his chest against your side. He can not see the shot this way and you can give it in the butt or the thigh.

He will get used to it. My son after a while would just come over and pull his waistband down so we could do the shot. I think encouraging your son to talk about his feelings (after the shot) or during the day is also very good for him. Remember that this is a big adjustment for him. Just as you have lots of emotions about this, so does he and he needs help learning to talk thru those feelings.

[/quote]

I have to agree with JDVsMom. Sometimes they just won't like it and all you can do is get them used to it. I didn't have diabetes as a child but I was an extremely hyperactive child and my mom used to have to put me into holds until I calmed down so I can tell you from experience that it doesn't hurt your kid. There are lots of things you can try but sometimes you do just have to force what's best on your child. One of my sisters has been having problems getting one of her daughters to take medicine. She cries every time. Finally they just stopped trying to make it easy on her, ignored the tears and told her she had to take her medicine and let her cry about it but still made her do it. If you find something that works to make this easier on your child that's great. Or you can try what my sister did and if your child still gets upset every time make Daddy do it. Lol.

Lantus can be really painful. I mean really painful. You can stick my daughter with Humalog every 10 minutes and she wouldn't care. Lantus makes her nearly hysterical sometimes. Maybe try Levimir.

I think the sticker chart sounds like a great idea. We gave our girl incentives too. It really helped. 

Thanks, everyone. This morning I used a piece of ice to try to numb his skin a little bit, and I think that helped. He didn't freak out as much. After the shot, I asked him if he was crying because it hurt or if it was scary, and he said it was scary. I called every pharmacy in my area to see if they carry the inject ease, and nobody does so I ordered one on Amazon.com. I think we'll stick with the ice until we get the inject ease. And right now we're using syringes, his doctor wanted us to be able to give him half units if we need to. 

I've been doing shots for about 6 months now and I like to use the ReliOn Alcohol Swabs with Pain Relief. There's some benzocaine in the swabs so that helps a bit with the initial pain of the needle puncturing the skin. And maybe give him shots in his back/butt so he can't see the needle - they usually seem to hurt less if you can't see them actually going in. Also, Lantus is really acidic (compared to other insulins) so it hurts less if it's not refrigerated, but if that doesn't help then maybe switch to Levemir - it's less acidic and therefore, less painful. Good luck :)

By the way, those really cool alcohol swabs I use were just recalled by the FDA... You may want to avoid those for a while...

http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/SafetyInformation/SafetyAlertsforHumanMedicalProducts/ucm239319.htm

Thanks. I read about the recall, thankfully we have the BD swabs.

[quote user="rakgyk"]

Gavi started a very small dose of Lantus yesterday, and as expected, he freaked out when he saw the needle. After all, what 4 year old likes needles. He doesn't like surprises, he wants to watch us give him the shot. He loves cars so we bought some Hot Wheels cars as rewards (only for this week, I don't want him to expect something every time he gets a shot), but it doesn't really help. Does anyone have any advice or tips how to calm him down before the shot? We tell him 'it's time for your medicine', not 'it's time for your shot' hoping he wouldn't freak out as much, but once he sees the needle, freak out time. I know over time he will probably get used to it just like he got used to getting his fingers poked 4 times a day, but right now it's the beginning and I want to make him as comfortable as possible so he will get used to it sooner than later.

[/quote]

Lantus is just painful. I hate it. I have never taken anything else, but it hurts less when I inject in my bottom and upper arm. I have a friend who gives their T1D child their Lantus shot in the bottom while they are sleeping. Since for most it is a night time insulin this may be another option. Of course her child could sleep through anything. You may not have that luxury.

I'll be honest with you, I was diagnosed at 18 yrs old and I used to would cry when I got shots. LOL It was hard on me and I was an adult. I can't imagine a child that young having to deal with all those injections. I was put on the OmniPod insulin pump in early December of 2010 and I swear my life has been SO much easier since then. I haven't been nearly as stressed about my diabetes and I am asking myself why didn't I do this sooner?! It is so easy and it doesn't hurt at all! I will never go back on shots!

Also, when I was first diagnosed I used needles/syringes. A couple months later I was put on the pens. Although I still prefer the pump over the pens, I have to say the little needles on the pens didn't hurt as much as regular needles.

I know this has to be a huge adjustment period to you (and all of your family!) I don't know of any ways to make shots easier for children, other than just time taking it's toll. I would say you should try to find other diabetics in your area, children and adults and let your son meet them. I know for me, it always helped when I met another type 1. I was diagnosed at 18 and yeah, it was hard on me even though I wasn't a little kid. But I got to meet with this 11 yr old girl who had been a type 1 since she was 3. She was practically a pro at diabetes and she wore an insulin pump. She taught me a lot, but more than anything she just made me feel better. I think it would be good for your son to meet with other people who have to take shots and prick their fingers, he will be able to relate to them. Good luck!

He's still only on Lantus, and this numbers are getting back to normal. Thankully he's finally over his cold, so I think it may be a combo of the Lantus and no longer having a cold that caused them to go back to normal. I finally got the Inject Ease in the mail today, so I will see if that helps with the shot in the morning.