Shots aren't getting any easier

We've been giving Gavi the Lantus for about 3 weeks now, and it's not getting any easier. He still freaks out at the sight of it (we use the inject ease), and he's starting to tell us at night 'I don't want to be poked tomorrow'. I know it's not easy for him to get a shot every day, but I was hoping it would've been a little easier by now. We've tried rewards, bribery, ice to numb his skin. This morning we gave it to him in his tush and I don't think it hurt him too much, but right now I think I am convinced it is anxiety about the shot and hot the shot itself (I wanted to see if it hurt, so one day I stuck myself with the needle and it didn't hurt). This morning was terrible, DH had to hold him down while I gave him the shot, and I don't want to do that again but he needs to insulin. It's enough that I am the only one he will allow to give him the shot (one time his leg moved while DH gave him the shot and the needle bent a little on it's way out, he freaked), it's just not getting any easier. HELP!!

Is it the needle going in or the insulin going in that hurts? Our CDE told us the ph in lantus is higher than levemir and gave us that if its the insulin itself you might want to ask your endo about it.

Hi.  Is your son newly diagnosed?  My son was diagnosed in August 2010, 2 weeks after his 3rd birthday.  We are fortunate that he took to getting finger pokes and shots quickly.  We also let him get his meter ready before he gets a finger poke which helped so much.  He will even do his own poke occassionally. 

For shots, however, there are times he is tired or just being 3 and he only wants me to do it.  Do you pinch before you poke him?  Sometimes the pinch hurts more than the shot.  Especially if you or someone giving him the shot is nervous and pinches a little harder than needed.  If you don't pinch, maybe try doing that before you poke.  The pinch shouldn't be a hard pinch just enough to kind of dull the nerves so the shot doesn't hurt.  Also, we use the Ultra Fine 8mm 31g needles.  They are the finest needles you can get, I believe. 

We also let our son pick where he wants his shot(s).  We rotate between the arms and legs and find that he has no problems telling us where he wants it.  He has Novalog at breakfast, lunch and lantus and novolog at supper.  We do the two shots at supper so he doesn't have to be poked before bedtime. 

I hope this helps somewhat.  We are thankful he has done so well but there were times in the beginning when it wasn't so easy.  It will get better, I promise.  It is hard for them to understand at such a young age.  Does he have a favorite stuffed animal or blanket he can hold while he gets it done?  The hospital we went to gave our son a stuffed animal that had an IV like our son and he watched his animal get a shot.  Whatever you find that works, stick with it! :)  Good luck!

Our daughter has had a really hard time with the Lantus injections.  She was getting 30 units and is now at 28.  For a while she wanted to split her dose into two injections because the med hurt / burned / stung going in.  She said it wasn't the needle stick.  She started sitting on an ice pack for about 5-10 minutes and giving the Lantus only in her tush.  She doesn't feel it now, and has returned to one injection.  She's 11, just diagnosed 2 months ago and would absolutely do ANYTHING to avoid the Lantus.  Endo RN (who is T1), said that the preservatives in Lantus do make it uncomfortable and the only thing she ever found helpful was numbing with ice.  We also went from the Nano needles to the Mini needles for Lantus to get a little further from the surface of the skin.  She said that helped to.

It is hard.....have you tried letting your son inject an orange or toy to see what it's like to give the shot?

Good luck.

Lantus hurts. It always felt like a bee sting. I was 18 and I'll be honest, it made me cry a couple times. LOL I'm not sure, but it could be because he is small. I was only 82 lbs at 18 yrs old and I never could find a good area for shots. I think many times they went into muscle tissue and it hurt like heck. To be truthful, shots never really got easier with me. I am on the OmniPod and never going back.

Ask for Levemir! It did not burn my daughter at all. Lantus is awfully painful. We went through the same thing as you. There is no point in suffering. Levemir will likely work just as well. 

I don't think it's the sting, he's on a very small dose, 1.5 units in the morning. I think he's just scared of the needle. I asked him one day if he's crying because it hurts or if he's scared, and he said he was scared. I think it may have been the spot we were giving it to him, in his thighs. He doesn't have much padding in his thighs, so I don't know if it may have been in a muscle. Yesterday and this morning we gave it to him in his tush, and I think that helps. He was scared yesterday and after I gave him the shot he wasn't complaining too much. This morning he let me give it to him, no protesting, so I think we may have found a good spot@ His next appt. with the endo is on Friday, so I will ask about the Levemir when we are there.

Honestly if it's a mental thing I have no advice...I haven't been in a parents shoes with this disease yet.

But I'll offer my physical advice: If you're using pens, try the latest shorter, thinner needles from BD.  The Nano is the thinnest and shortest (green labels), and the Mini is the 2nd shortest/thinnest (purple/pink label).  The short needle (blue label) is what most still use and it's about twice as big as those.  If you're not using pens, test out a pen with these needles to see if it's any less annoying for him.

Try Levemir, but don't expect any miracles as far as it hurting less.  Both Lantus and Levemir sting due to a lower pH, so it's not Levemir is a whole lot better in that realm...but for some reason the mental aspect of just being off the Lantus is enough.

A lot of what you're describing is the mental challenge with diabetes at any age.  You're not doing anything wrong...in fact you're doing awesome with all the things you're trying!  So don't feel down on yourself, keep the head up, and keep chugging because there's no magic solution to overcome the hill that is a fear of shots.  Overcoming diabetes is a marathon, not a race.

I don't wear a pump but have heard of many kids with this same problem--they hate shots and are afraid of them -- and so the pump seems to be the natural solution if Gavi continues rebellling.  It will free him of the injections. Have you given it thought?

rakgyk,

I was older and afraid of the shots.  The reality is, there is no other option and OF COURSE he doesn't want them - all in favor of no more pushing metal through our skin or the skin of our loved ones? AYE- 

The pump is a once every three day thing - but there's a lot of change there too...  At four, he has all of the adult sized emotions in that little body without a lot of outlets - I don't have any answers and so far, my boys haven't had to face this but if it was me, I might try having him help to design a routing - maybe punching or kicking a pillow for 60-90 seconds to work off some of that adrenaline before taking a deep breath, closing the eyes for the shot - you know your boy - so I'm not saying THAT exactly - but some combination of events that he can have a little control, spend some adrenaline and maybe pick a spot (just no picking same spot twice in a row) - 

It's a lousy lesson to have to teach at any age but there really are some things we'll hate to do that we must do to keep ourselves safe, healthy, protected...  Good luck and if there is anything I have learned listening to and watching parents of T1's over the years - you will find an answer - a way that works for you, your son and your family and it will get better. 

Keep us posted and I am looking forward to hearing how this all turns out...

Cheers!

A-D

dx 4/83 Omnipod & Navigator

[quote user="rakgyk"]

I don't think it's the sting, he's on a very small dose, 1.5 units in the morning. I think he's just scared of the needle. I asked him one day if he's crying because it hurts or if he's scared, and he said he was scared. I think it may have been the spot we were giving it to him, in his thighs. He doesn't have much padding in his thighs, so I don't know if it may have been in a muscle. Yesterday and this morning we gave it to him in his tush, and I think that helps. He was scared yesterday and after I gave him the shot he wasn't complaining too much. This morning he let me give it to him, no protesting, so I think we may have found a good spot@ His next appt. with the endo is on Friday, so I will ask about the Levemir when we are there.

[/quote]

I have always given myself my own shots because I can't stand other people giving me needles. The needles can REALLY hurt in the thighs if you put it in the wrong spot! I recommend the butt, stomach, or arms because they seem to work best for me (and hurt less)! Try putting it in a different spot!

That is great to hear!  Our diabetes educators and endo told us to alternate  locations so he doesn't develop bumps under the skin.  I am drawing a blank on what the lumps are called but every visit they check his arms and legs to make sure we are alternating locations.  I agree with you about the sting.  My son is on 2 units  and hasn't complained about it stinging.  Your son seems to be getting used to it.  Good luck! :)

There are also some VERY SHORT little needles out there that's good for areas with less padding, so you might want to ask the doctor if there's something smaller than what you're currently using, if your son is still scared.  It might help a little bit if you find out then ask him if he'd like a smaller needle.

People are right about the Lantus, too.  It stings, and when I used it it stung more in the thighs than anywhere else (and I have PLENTY of padding on my thighs!).  It doesn't sound like the sting is a problem, but if it ever becomes one, there are other options.

The thigh and leg were the worst areas for my daughter. Certainly the lower dose she needed as her honeymoon kicked in helped reduce the pain but even one or two units stung a bit. 

I don't know the name of the needle we're using for him, but the nurse said it is the shortest thinnest needle there is. I stuck myself with it one day so I can see what he has to go through, and it didn't hurt. He hasn't complained about the sting, I think it is just anxiety about the needle.

Have you ever used a numbing cream?  Seems like a lot of parents on the children with diabetes site have had success with that.  Ice doesn't seem that appealing in the winter, but I guess it just depends where you live.

We're still really struggling with them too. Ava's been at this since November. I do pull out a sticker chart every week or two and that buys us a few days of it being okay. Plus putting one of her favorite shows on as a distraction helps...most of the time.