Giving yourself shots

Our son was diagosed on 01-03-10 and at first he was doing well with the shots.  But the last two days Ive been watching him (without him know-to make sure he does it), and he is hesitating right before and then it hurts.  He's very frustrated.  Any suggestions in helping him?

Bless his heart!! My daughter is 6 and she gives herself her own shots as well. One thing i notice that she does is instead of inserting the needle straight up and down, she goes in at a small angle. She says it doesn't hurt when she does it that way. She also will take her time poking it into her skin she says that is much easier than just jabbing it in (as she says). Just a thought, but  learned yesterday that if the insulin is cold it will hurt when it goes in. So, that may be a reason as well......Hope this helps (alittle) and Good luck!!!

There is something called an inject-ease that you put the syringe in and just press a button and it shoots the needle in for you. There is also one that can go on an insulin pen. I used both when I first started doing shots on my own!

[quote user="l emily l"]

There is something called an inject-ease that you put the syringe in and just press a button and it shoots the needle in for you. There is also one that can go on an insulin pen. I used both when I first started doing shots on my own!

[/quote]

Emily, THANKS  for suggesting the inject-ease. I'm going to have to look into that one myself for my daughter. Just because i worry about her little hands with the needle. Is it something that has to be ordered or can you buy it in stores???

My daughter 9 was dxed 12-15-09 and she wont even think about injecting herself. She complains about how I do it cause I often hesitate too. Tho she complains its not enough for her to try herself. So kudos to him already injecting himself.

I got D at 6 and was injecting myself by 7, i remember i was so proud :).... i know somehwere else on here I think "my daughters my hero" posted yesterday that insulin stings when its cold.. maybe that has something to do with it

I think mine was given to me at my endo's office, so you might ask your doctor about it. I just googled it and there seems to be a few different web sites you can buy it from and you might be able to buy it at a drug store.  I hope this helps!

Well if it hurts i find if you rub it after you inject it hurts less and if he has a problem switching spot at  my camp when you do something different you get e prize for doing it

Where is he injecting himself? For 12 years, I have NEVER been able to inject my thigh or stomach (close to my belly button). My endo said it's because there may be muscle close to the skin. Even after trying multiple spots with different length needles, I cannot do it! Instead, I inject on the side of my stomach and even on the fleshier areas closer to my back.

I have never been able to do the stomach injections either. Sometimes your body changes and makes the injection site unusable. For example, I started doing shots in my legs, but I had to stop when I naturally developed more muscle and less fat there. Same thing with the arms. Otherwise, it really hurt.

Before I got my pump I used to give myself shots in my shomache and legs (my parents would give me my lantus). I found that if you pinch up the area your injecting it doesn't hurt as bad. I also found out that you should probably do one side a day. Like the left side of your stomache one day then the right. Same thing for your legs too. It worked for me. I hope this helps. :)

Your son is awesome for injecting himself this soon.  I did not inject myself for a year or so after I was diagnosed.

If he wipes his injection site with alcohol before he injects, perhaps the alcohol is not dry.  Wet alcohol can make an injection sting a lot.  I always try and make sure my site is super dry before I put my pump in.

I've noticed, (with both shots and pump sites) some spots might be more sensitive than others for what ever reason. so if I go to insert the needle and I notice the slightest touch on my skin hurts, I'll find a different spot to inject

Is he using the shortest length of needle?

Hang in there! He'll get used to it and do it quicker as time passes. I inject myself driving, typing, cooking, etc etc... But, as I've posted elsewhere on here, I need to try to pay more attention so I take the right amount!! So, anyways, this is my way of saying that I still remember feeling afraid when I was first diagnosed and my parents injected me, but I don't feel traumatized or anything by the memory now and I barely think about it now.

[quote user="Jessie"]

I've noticed, (with both shots and pump sites) some spots might be more sensitive than others for what ever reason. so if I go to insert the needle and I notice the slightest touch on my skin hurts, I'll find a different spot to inject

[/quote]

Good point! Same for me.

For me I have tough skin (that's what they tell me), so I have to kind of aim and do it like a dart. I was 52 when dx'ed and hated shots before, a lot!!!!! If I don't come in quick it hurts like crazy. Kind of like when you take a band-aid off, for me if no scab is stuck a quick pull hurts less than slow.

[quote user="My-daughters-my-Hero"]

One thing i notice that she does is instead of inserting the needle straight up and down, she goes in at a small angle. She says it doesn't hurt when she does it that way. She also will take her time poking it into her skin she says that is much easier than just jabbing it in (as she says).

[/quote]

I've been giving myself injections for 32 years and that's exactly the way I do it too!  Straight in look like it would be worse.  I also have never been able to jab it in fast.  I like to take it slow.

i hadn't started injecting myself till i was at least like 11 or 12? and that was like rarely i would do it.. my mom would usually give me a prefilled one.. its hard!! :)

i'm on the pump, i still have my mom do my insertions every three days... although i am very comfortable with testing myself!

[quote user="Adriana S"]

Well if it hurts i find if you rub it after you inject it hurts less and if he has a problem switching spot at  my camp when you do something different you get e prize for doing it

[/quote]

HECK YES!!! Rub it!! That helps to warm  up the insulin and spread it around and the pain seems to stop after probably 15 seconds.  Hesitation is somewhat normal, as the person giving YOURSELF the shot, you know that it is going to hurt so the delay is almost like a psychological trick (at least for me) to build up to that momentary pain, as long as he is taking the shots, then he is doing amazingly well for his little self.  :)

[quote user="Lindsay"]

Where is he injecting himself? For 12 years, I have NEVER been able to inject my thigh or stomach (close to my belly button). My endo said it's because there may be muscle close to the skin. Even after trying multiple spots with different length needles, I cannot do it! Instead, I inject on the side of my stomach and even on the fleshier areas closer to my back.

[/quote]

i have the same problem.. ive had d for 23 yrs ive prob injected my stomach 5 times.. it hurts me.. i pretty much always do my arms and butt lol