Newly diagnosed preschooler

Hi everyone - our 3 and a half year old was just diagnosed on Friday. We’re holding up pretty well and our daughter is being so amazingly strong about everything. I just can’t wait until we can do a pump for her - we aren’t having any trouble managing the finger pricks, but it’s emotionally draining having to give her four shots a day. The pen makes it easier, but we can’t use a pen for her lantus at bedtime because it’s in half doses. And we don’t want her to see that syringe because we think it might scare her. Does anyone have any tips on how to make the shots hurt less for her? Would a cold pack help numb her before? Thanks in advance for any advice!

I feel for you, and for KimLily. I know how protective and sensitive to her hurt you must be. I don’t have children or grandchildren with diabetes but I do have a granddaughter who was born very prematurely who lived with us and I had to give her antibiotic IVs four times a day for a month in preparation for surgery when she was six.

I don’t think your daughter would be any more frightened by a needle and syringe than by a pen with needle and I’m not sure about numbing with ice. What I have found over my many years, is massaging the area, warming with my hand is more effective at camouflaging the pinprick - I do vigorously rub my finger on the shirtsleeve of the other arm before pricking for a blood test.

Another thing, do NOT inject refrigerated insulin because that could cause stinging and lumps at injection sites and also affect absorption. Unrefrigerated open vials of insulin should not loose effectiveness for at least 28 days as long as they are not exposed to heat extremes - hot or cold. And that “heat extremes” applies to pens, pump reservoirs and vials.

Hi
Our little girl was diagnosed 4/26/15, she was a few months from turning 4.
First, distraction and reward.
Second, get that pump as soon as you can.

Try Buzzy (you can buy it on Amazon) and the Shotblocker. They did not work for my little one, but they have worked for other kids. Some people use a cold spoon. I have given my little one shots while she is asleep and she hardly stirred. Also remember the quick is best with shots, not slow. One quick, confident jab. Hurts less.

I feel for you mama… it will get easier. Not all the way - I don’t know if it ever gets all the way easier - but it definitely gets better with time and practice.

Hugs to your little one.

hi @KimLilysMom,

the ice won’t make it worse. Lantus can sting for 10 minutes after injecting due to it’s formulation. The ice will help with histamines from the injection and for the sting of Lantus afterward. There is no “mandatory waiting period” for a pump, but pumping is more involved than shots. The doctor might not want to overwhelm you. Get the book “Pumping Insulin” as a primer and then make the decision when you feel you can. Your doctor works for you - so if you don’t think it’s working out you may have to consider letting them go.

hope you are getting all the support you need - a good CDE and doctor are really important the first year or so. Take care!

Thanks for the great comments! Today went much easier than yesterday, despite some tantrums due to several days of skipped naps! She’s honestly doing amazingly well with it all and we’re being as up front and honest about it all as we can. Our biggest battle is typical 3 year old tantrums and her trying to stall / avoid the shots. She did great with the lantus tonight - we even showed her the syringe and emphasized how much smaller the syringe looked than the pens! We also made a “Brave Shot Chart” so she can earn a prize after several great jobs with the shots. We’re adjusting more quickly than I’d ever imagine for this - we have a great team who has been so available to us, so that’s truly key!

I was diagnosed at 3 1/2 too. My mother was patient and always praised my bravery. She made me understand that I could be just like all the other kids with a special difference. Kids are as tough as they choose. Encourage her to be strong. My Mom never cried in front of me. I am now 67. She’ll make it because you are a loving person, it really matters.

Hi KimLilysMom…seems like only yesterday that my granddaughter (then 3 1/2) got DX with T1D. She is now 12 and has been managed successfully on intermittent injections. The life saver came early on,
from one of the nursing staff in the peds endo clinic who showed my family an “Inject ease” automatic injector by BD. Available on Amazon and lots of other sites. Took all the fear out of “seeing” the syringe and needle, as well as taking away the nerves of whoever was giving her the shot. This is not a pen, so there is not constraints on what type insulin or dose, or even if using 1/2 unit syringes. Why they don’t give these to all newly diagnosed little kids is beyond me. Hope this helps!

Please look at Niacinimide and Vandium. As well as Dairy products. I have been diabetic for 31 years. I am not sure they will help your baby but I am a dedicated research kinda guy.

Look at diet and look at restrictions and look at supplements.

I have read it can be reversed if caught early enough!!!

It’s only vitamins and restricted diet.

Not much scientific documentation to back up any claims I just mentioned. Isn’t that a shame!!!

The internet is power!

We are on our own when it come to diet, Supplements and natural remedies.

Please look at it!

I wish I had a shot at even trying to reverse the desease.

I do my best eating no meats or dairy or refined sugars or refined flour.

all natural is the key for me!!! One ingredient nature in it’s raw form.

I believe Dairy products especially pasturized milk was why I contracted type 1. I drank milk at every meal.

We are on our own when it come to nutrition and supplements.

I hope top god what I have read can help you.

Niacinimide, Vandium, Diary!