My 5yo son's first year with T1D

Dear Parents of a T1D Child,

As the father of a 5 year old, coming up on his first year anniversary of being diagnosed, I decided to author an illustrated rhyming children’s book covering the events of his first year with T1D. The digital version is free to download. And if you like the digital version enough, you can click the amazon link to purchase a hard copy to read to your kid(s) and/or share with your extended family. Please check it out (it’s about 30 pgs or so) and let me know what you think.

Downloadable PDF: Box
Amazon Page: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1730703496

Thanks,
Mike

2 Likes

Today 1/6, is officially the anniversary of his diagnosis.

Mike,

Yet I am only 13 years old I read over your story and you did a magnificent job everything was written out so clearly and understandable for kids that don’t understand what diabetes is can get a good general illustration and story about it thank you so much for taking the time to share your story with us I think you did a fabulous job congratulations on finishing!!

1 Like

@cassin24 Thank You for the kind words. I love getting great feedback on the story, but it always means so much more coming from someone like yourself that knows of the challenges first hand.

I’ve been a T1D for 54 years now and this book is easy to understand, for kids of all ages, diabetic or not. Thanks for sharing it with us!

Cathy

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words :slight_smile: Glad you thought so.

Here is a cool YouTube video of the book being read aloud:

From a mom of a 5yo T1D still in his first year, this book was SO adorable! It’s comforting knowing the struggles are shared but there are people here ready to support and find ways to ease worries, like you have done with your book. Thank you for sharing his story. A couple parts even made me a little emotional actually (you guys reminding him how brave he is and willing to take 50 shots to avoid his next 2…I tell my son this as often as I can). Great job

1 Like

Thanks Jessica! Glad you were able to connect with the book!

I just watched your YouTube video. Your book is beautifully illustrated and has such a positive, relatable and encouraging message. I will certainly share this with my four-year-old grandson who has been recently diagnosed.

1 Like

Thank You Robin. I’d love to know what your grandson thinks of the book!

Check out this awesome review of the book by a fellow T1D boy, YouTube’s “Zane” or “Zane’s Gaming and More”: