My daughter is 5 and just diagnosed T1D

Hello all!
My daughter is 5 years old and was just diagnosed as being T1D over the holiday weekend. It is surreal going through this. I’m so thankful that our families have rallied around us to help in her care, even a good friend is willing to learn so she can help as well. I know we are going through the honeymoon phase and have lots to learn. I would love to be able to talk and make friends with those around St Louis.

Hi Katie- we are also going through this with our 4 year old, who was diagnosed in April. You are not alone and reaching out has been vital for us. I began having lunch with two women who also have kids or spouses with T1D, and it has been amazingly supportive. I know you’re going to connect with others in your area, but wanted to reach out to you tonight. This forum is amazing and so supportive. Our Endo also gave us a list of other groups to try, especially those with young children. JDRF can help with that too.

1 Like

@Funkyflower @kpowe24 Hello Katie and Cary,

Sorry to hear about each of your recent diagnoses. Diabetes can be difficult and unpleasant to manage. I’ve had it for 40 years now - when I was diagnosed we didn’t have blood glucose testers at home yet.

I hope you have access to an endocrinologist and certified diabetes educator (CDE) for the best/leading information on the strategies for management, but I am sure you already know that with Type 1, YOU are the primary care doctor. Please take a look to see if there is a JDRF local chapter near you by visiting the website or clicking here.

Also this site had resources you can use the Resources Tab at the top of the page or click here

I recommend you learn all you can as the first year can be a tough one. A book I find extremely helpful is “Think Like a Pancreas” - available on Amazon.

please feel free to ask questions, and please check in to let us know how you are doing.

Hello!! My son is type 1 since March. Iam also looking forward to chatting and relating to other parents. It’s a rough road, but this support system helps me to believe we can do this!! How is your daughter with her t1?

She has really grown up sine the diagnosis. She helps me cook and asks
how many carbs are in foods. We went to the grocery store the day after
we got home and she asked the same question while shopping. I’m very
sad she has to go through this and learn. We had our first 579 today
inside Walmart. I sat down and gave her a correction right then and there,
Another customer asked an employee what was going on, and they were
able to explain that my daughter was Type 1 (Its where I work). Scared the
crap out of me, so going to take it easy the rest of the day.How is your son
dealing with it?

Hi Katie @kpowe24, I’m really happy that both you and your daughter were able to deal with her 579 right “then and there”. From the sidelines, that was just perfect; did she come out of it readily after your intervention?
Did she or you come up with a probable cause and then a strategy for avoiding anything like that; from my ages in dealing with diabetes I know there isn’t always a single or simple explanation. Your daughter sounds quite mature and grasps well some of the “little” things that will allow her to enjoy a long, full, productice and active life.

She came out of it, but was very tired. We ended up eating lunch when we got home, since she was hungry. My husband thought maybe she snuck food and didn’t know any better. I don’t know what caused it, but she did pilfer a pudding cup shortly after dinner. She had already had her insulin at this point. We did sit her down and explain as best we could to a 5 year old that we had to know exactly what she eats, but when she was old enough and could take care of herself, we would let her decide. She was upset of course , and I was going to take her for a walk, but we told her no. I called my Dad tonight (not a good relationship) and told him my fears. He gave me the pep talk I desperately needed. So even though it was rough, I know it will get better.

Katie @kpowe24, I’m happy to know that your daughter came through her experience. Now you can gigi yourself a well deserved “pat on the back” - I expect that her 579 may have taken more out of you than her.
At five years old, still the same at 77, “sneaking a little treat” is quite normal because she wants to be like anyone else. I’m not a psychologist but I do think that you and your husband are handling this good in telling her that when she is older she will know how balance the treats with a little insulin, and may I suggest that this time, you tell her to just let you know when she eats her so “you can assist” her guessing the right amount of insulin.
If she likes nuts, it may help her need to nibble if you kept some - suggest she be careful - where she can easily reach them, but in some place where she knows you and your husband will be able to observe.