Miscarriage and diabetes

I am 26 years old. My husband and I have not been “careful” in about 4 years trying to conceive. We have not sought the help of any physicians either(I just figured it wasn’t going to happen). I am t1 and have been for 14yrs. I am also overweight and have been my entire life. I weighed about 300lbs. Last year I decided it was time to change and lost 50lbs. I wanted to lose more but I started to get slack about my diet and exercise.
My sister told me to start using ovulation testing to get pregnant. I never thought it would work. So on a whim I picked one up around the time I was supposed to be ovulating(I was using a cycle tracking app) and what do you know it said I was. So that was that.
I didn’t really think to much about it for the next couple of weeks. I had sore breast(thought my period was coming). Actually thought I started my period, I had some spotting. Again I never thought anything about it. I have PCOS along with my diabetes so my periods have never ever,ever been regular.
A few more weeks passed and I still had sore breast. I was exhausted every day and couldn’t keep my eyes open past 7pm. My husband jokingly said you need to pee on a stick. I say joking because at this point we both have resorted to humor when get comes to ttc. So a day or so later I was at the store getting ready to pick up a bottle of wine and head to a friends house for some girl time. It also hit my to pick up a pregnancy test and just see what if?
So I got home with the few thing I had picked up at the store and had to use the bathroom. So I grabbed a test.
I really couldn’t believe it. It was two pink lines right away. No way to second guess it.
I couldn’t believe it. I looked at it for probably 5 minutes. I even threw it away and then picked it out of the trash to look at it again. S
So instead of wine I went to my bestfriends house with another test in hand. I took another one. And again positive right off!! With my friends convermation. I was so surprised and excited. I just couldn’t believe it.
I went to the store pick up a card taped the test to the card and gave it to my husband as soon as he walked through the door.
Along with all the excitement was a deep fear. I had not been strict on my diet as of late and I had some pretty high bg’s. I went to the doctor immediately to make sure everything was ok. I thought I was around 8wks but actually I was only about 6. The ultrasound showed the gestational sack. But it was too early to see the heartbeat. So I had another ultrasound scheduled for 10 days to see the hearbeat.

Well the next day I started to bleed. Very light so I thought it was irritation from the ultrasound. But it continued and got heavier and I started to really cramp. It was actually pretty painful. I knew what was happening but I just didn’t want to believe it. I called my doctor to tell them what was happening.
So the appointment I intended to be hearing the baby’s heartbeat was now to verify my miscarriage.
It has been almost a year now and I haven’t conceived again(I haven’t really wanted to try). I have gained all the weight I lost. I am trying to lose weight again and get my bg back under control.
I just wanted to know if anyone else has had anything similar happen.

I would suggest you talk to your doctor about your options for TTC. Diabetes wasn’t necessarily the cause of your miscarriage, and you honestly may never know what the cause was. Your PCOS may be making things difficult for you as well.

I am sorry for your loss and hope you are able to find a way to conceive in the future.

I am so sorry this happened to you. I also have type 1 diabetes since the age of 11 and I am 30 now. 4 months ago I had my first pregnancy and also had a miscarriage at 6 weeks. We were TTC for 5 months and I thought that time period took forever. I hated getting my period every month. I am very irregular so didn’t know when to expect it either. About 1 in 5 pregnancies miscarry and usually the second pregnancy is healthy. I highly recommend you see a high-risk OBGYN for a pre-conception consult (I think everyone with type 1 should do this). Make sure all of your labs are okay. I did see my endo and the high risk doctors before pregnancy and found out I have sub-clinical hypothyroidism that that is what likely caused my miscarriage. Make sure the doctors check your thyroid antibodies. Thyroid medicine can help with this. Thyroid conditions are really common with type 1. PCOS is an additional concern and precautions can be taken for this as well. You are still very young and take your time. Try again when you are ready. I would recommend counseling as well. Can help you get through the loss. I wish you the best!

I am so sorry for your loss. I had a somewhat similar experience. I am 30 yrs old and was diagnosed at age 8. My husband and I were TTC for approximately 6 months when I was thrilled to finally have a positive pregnancy test. Approximately 6 weeks in I began to bleed. It took a heart wrenching 8 hr emergency room visit to confirm the miscarriage . I knew once my bleeding was heavier and heavier that it was a miscarriage but the time there was to confirm it through tons of painful tests and ultrasounds ( plus being a diabetic they wanted to be on the safe side) til this day I have yet to try again out of fear. It’s now been 7 months. I even suggested to my family and husband maybe we should adopt but I want to be hopeful for one day I can carry a child.

I’m so sorry for your loss. I have had T1D for 28 years now and was horrible with my BG in college, but since I have gotten better control and so my best with my thyroid medicine too. I had a miscarriage about 2 1/2 years ago in between my son (now 4) and my daughter (now 17 months). You ladies can be moms with T1D!!! Keep trying! The recommendation about seeing a high risk OBGYN for a pre conceiving visit is a great idea! I did this and it scared the crap out of me to make sure I was taking care of myself by getting my sugars and my thyroid in control to make sure I had a healthy pregnancy and at the end of it a healthy baby. My miscarriage was at about 8 weeks also and very very similar stories that I read above. At the time I was not watching my sugars as closely and not taking my thyroid meds as I should have been and I think this played a part in my miscarriage. Don’t give up ladies. Just focus on you and your health and that precious baby will eventually come next! I wish you the best!!!