Unexpectedly pregnant and very nervous

Hi everyone! I just joined this group so this is my first time posting. This is my first pregnancy, and I just looking for some help/support from some moms who have been through or are going through the same thing. I’ve had T1D since I was 8 years old, but for the past few years due to stress and several life changes I haven’t been controlling my diabetes like I should have. This past year I’ve been trying to do better with it, and last month I started really cracking down on it because my husband and I decided we were finally ready to become parents. I planned on getting my blood sugars as controlled as possible for at least a year before we start trying though.

Of course nothing goes according to plan right. Even though I have been on consistent birth control, I believe that I am now pregnant. I haven’t had a positive pregnancy test yet, but I believe that is because it is still too early in my pregnancy because I have completely missed my period this month and there is no other plausible explanation for that. I’m very excited to be a mom, but I am terrified of what complications I and my baby might face because I didn’t have my blood sugars under control beforehand. Ever since I suspected I was pregnant I have been watching my blood sugar like a hawk and it has been really good so far. I’ve done all the research on the risks that can develop in pregnancy with T1D so I know what can happen. I was hoping to be able to find some moms who have been through a similar unexpected pregnancies and can give me some advice on what to expect and how to handle it.

Hi Brittney! If I were you, the first thing I would do is take a pregnancy test. If you have completely missed your period, you are definitely far enough along to get a clear positive or negative. Who knows…you may be worried about all of this for no reason. At least this way you will know for certain. My pregnancy was planned, but unlike you, it took us much longer than expected, so I had time to get my A1c down pretty consistently. I’ve been under 7.0 for a couple years, but since getting pregnant, I’ve been under 6.0. As soon as I found out I was pregnant, I called my endo (along with the other doctors) and made an appointment. The biggest change I’ve made in my diabetes management has been emailing my endo my blood sugars once a week, and they’ve been great with getting back to me quickly with changes. It has not been easy though. In the first trimester, it seemed that I was low constantly. The second trimester was pretty steady, but resistance started to kick in at the end, around 24 weeks. Now I’m 28 weeks and taking twice as much insulin as I was pre-pregancy. I can’t say that I’ve really changed my eating habits. I was a fairly healthy eater before pregnancy. I do try to pre-bolus as often as possible, especially before breakfast. Do you have a pump or a Dexcom? They have been a life-saver for me.

@brittneysaw19,

I agree with @erica1710 you should really take a test first. I’ve missed my period before and wasn’t pregnant, with no explanation other than just a cycle change. If you missed an entire month a pregnancy test would definitely show positive or negative by now. It wouldn’t be too early.

Brittney, Congratulations on your decision to become a parent!
I found myself unexpectedly pregnant 34 years ago. I had been told I would not be able to carry a baby past the first trimester, so babies were not an option for us. I was on birth control and missed a period, so I took urine to the GYN for a pregnancy test - back before home tests were common. The test was negative. That was in July. I was in college at the time. The beginning of September, my husband decided I should take one of those new home pregnancy tests before I started the fall semester. That test was positive. So I went back to the GYN and found out I had just entered the second trimester. I was truly blessed through the pregnancy. Since I was pregnant, I was able to get one of the first glucometers. It cost $475, had to be plugged in to an electrical outlet, had to be calibrated every time you tested, and the test took 5 minutes. Times have changed! Diabetes treatment has advanced so much, it is wonderful.
If you get your A1C under control, you will be healthier and that is better for your baby while you are pregnant and once you are a parent. I had a dietician tell me once that diabetic women are her favorite patients because they are willing to count every green bean.
Pregnancy hormones mess up blood sugar. My husband kept a grocery bag with chocolate chips in it hanging on the bed frame. I was unconscious entirely too many nights with lows. Hang in there, it is worth it. Bonus - I am no longer tempted by anything that has chocolate chips in it; they taste like medicine to me.
For me, being nervous was part of pregnancy. Diabetes is just one of the scary issues involved. God truly blessed us with our son and that was before the advantages of human-like insulin, insulin pumps, and continuous glucose monitors.
So start preparing for parenthood whether you are pregnant now or will be in the coming year. Take care of yourself to the best of your ability. It will help you become pregnant, have a healthy pregnancy, a healthy baby, and a long life to watch your child grow. Wait until you find out what an incredible human being you have been entrusted to raise! Have fun on the journey.

I agree, confirm with your doctors asap that you are pregnant; you may have missed your period but that doesn’t necessarily mean you are pregnant. Stress can often cause a missed period, etc. I was able to confirm my pregnancy at 5w, less than a week after my missed period with a clearblue test (the “5days sooner” one) and even though the second line was faint, I was pregnant.

If have confirmed your pregnancy, congratulations :slight_smile: I am currently 30w with an unplanned, unexpected pregnancy. I had been trying to work on my control but wasn’t anywhere near what I thought I should be for pregnancy or wanted to be. Once you are pregnant though, you have a bigger reason than yourself to get under control and like many T1Ds, you’ll see it happen…might be a lot of work, but it’ll be worth it. My endo team told me what matters is getting your levels under control as soon as possible once you find out your pregnant and not to worry too much about before you found out. Correct highs as soon as you can, without going low, and correct lows without spiking as best as you can.