Menopause and Diabetes

Is anyone having to deal with menopause symptoms and having it also worsen the symptoms of diabetes? It's enough dealing with all 35 symptoms of menopause... but I found out that it also makes your other illnesses like diabetes etc much worse....

Could you tell us more? I  would like to know more for future reference. I am sorry to hear about this and that no one else has any input so far.

I guess I am premenopuase at 44 and having some systems- just really bad PMS that I never had before- am going to my well women check-up next week and am going to address- will post anything I learn.

I don't get hot-flashes or anything. However, my blood sugar does elevate for a day or two. I make adjustments w/ my basal rate by 10%. My cycle only lasts 3 days and my blood sugars are high a week before and a week after my cycle.

I actually have had HORRENDOUS PMS since having my child.  I am 36 now.  When I say "horrendous PMS"  I mean, almost psycho.  I had uncontrollable rage, crying fits and frequent suicidal ideation.  I went on an antidepressant this fall and it has helped a lot.  So, what I'm saying is, it may not be premenopause.  It may just be the individual.  I mean that in the most gentle and loving way possible (I had to hear that from my therapist).  Even with the antidepressants, I get pretty crabby (but no ideation).  Then the minute my period starts, it all goes away like magic. 

[quote user="Laura"]

I guess I am premenopuase at 44 and having some systems- just really bad PMS that I never had before- am going to my well women check-up next week and am going to address- will post anything I learn.

[/quote]

After you read this link click www.dlife.com and search safe herbs for diabetics and medicinal teas

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/search/search.php?refine=y&keywords=pms&x=14&y=9

I don't get hot flashes either but I my blood sugar does elevate for a day or two.  My cycles are no longer regular and I have a difficult time predicting when this is going to affect me to adjust my basal rates.  My doctor says that I am just lucky not to have hot flashes, but I think it is because I don't eat empty carbs like most of my friends that are not diabetic.  They have horrible hot flashes but they eat very diffferently from me.  I think having diabetes has been somewhat of a blessing because I'm much more in tuned with my body and how it reacts to food, stress and hormones than they are. 

I have been through menopause- went through the "peri-menopause" stuff, then had a hysterecomy at age 51, all with type 1 diabetes. (actually, went through 3 pregnancies, first!) I have found that my biggest concern with menopause is the friggin' hot flashes, which make me very confused about "is it my blood sugar, is it my hormones, is it the temp of the room?"  I tend to get sweaty with a low blood sugar, and that instant hot flash feels a LOT like it.  When you have 2 - 5 per night, I'm pretty sure it's not my blood sugar!  I did discover that the hormone patches, which my doctor recommended until I am 55, help a lot.  Now that I no longer have a uterus, my blood sugars are much calmer - used to have highs before my cycle and lows during it. So, ladies, there IS hope for the future! :)

I found natural remedies for hotflashes. Some of these remedies are in your kitchen cabinet

http://womenshealth.about.com/cs/hotflashes/a/nomorehotflashs.htm