T1D and Menopause

Hi, I’m just wondering if anyone else on this site has gone through menopause with T1D? I’m having a difficult time getting my BGs under control since going through it. Prior to menopause my A1c’s were 6.0, now I’m lucky if I can hit 6.8. A lot of fluctuations with my sugar levels – seems to be changing almost daily. I’m on a Medtronic pump and Dexcom CGM. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Pam,

I’m on menopause too :frowning: my sugars have a mind of their own and my CDE told me a couple of years ago…that yes…menopause affect the sugars regardless of what you eat and your insulin regimen. Which is sucks! Perhaps somebody on this site has better info but I’m just sharing my experience. She suggested that exercise might be able to regulate it better…I don’t know…I haven’t been motivated to do that yet :frowning:

Please take care of yourself!
Marga :slight_smile:

I’ve been in menopause for 3 years and find my worst glucose spikes occur in the same schedule as pms did. I can track the spikes to the change in hormone levels, estrogen level rises, egg popped, progesterone rises. Same thing continues, just no more eggs, no more sloughing. I found ssris (e.g., lexapro, prozac) help regulate the hormone shifts by controlling the serotonin, which in turn, is what makes me insulin resistant. Ssris also seem to control the hot flashes, but so does black cohosh. If you’re on a pump, the 3-5 days of the month that you normally menstruate, set the basal 10-20% higher. Of course, test, test, test - This works for me but may not for you

Just starting with hot flashes and also on Medtronic pump and Dexcom. My CDE warned me that menopause would throw a monkey wrench into everything. Sugars higher than ever and it is taking longer than ever to get them down…especially overnight. My endo is starting me on FIASP- faster acting insulin. I can let you know how it goes.

Hi all
The first time I had my dangerously low blood sugar was during one of my last periods. Thankfully it sounds like this group has had success in finding doctors and CDEs who understand menopause and the fluctuations it causes while pumping or taking insulin. My blood glucose numbers began being much more volatile and had higher a1cs.
But my worst fear was sudden hypoglycemia because with menopause it appeared my blood sugar would drop greatly and quickly.
I finally located an obgyn who is a DO, not an MD. I am on birth control pills called Bilsovi and it has certainly helped with fewer fluctuations. As for better a1cs, I believe in patience. There may be a few years of higher a1cs but I hope when I get past menopause, the a1cs with be better and it’s something we have to be flexible with knowing it’s temporary.

Hi all, I am 46 years old and have been wondering if I am headed into perimenopause. If not now, I know it will be soon, and I wonder if anyone is taking hormone therapy?

Nancy, I’m writing a blog about T1D and menopause and wonder if I could interview you?
Let me know if you are interested: alsmercer@gmail.com
Thanks in advance,
Amy Mercer

Marga,

Thanks so much for the reply. Sorry it’s taken so long for me to respond, I haven’t been on the site since Aug, when I posted.

I’m still trying to get my BGs under control. Every time I think it’s getting better my body throws me another loop. I’m trying to get in to see a gyno for some help, but finding one in my area who is familiar with diabetes has been a struggle. I went to one who was highly recommended only to be told that hormonal changes should not affect my BGs. Ha! They’ve been affecting them since I hit puberty!! So, I’m still searching. At least I’ve got a decent endo who is helping. Most recently, we’ve been adjusting my ratios, as adjusting the basals was not helping. I’m feeling better with the new ratios. I think my old endo had my settings wrong. Anyway, thanks again for responding! Hope you’re doing well.

Pam