Its amazing how much diabetes we accumulate

I decided today to go thru all the diabetes stuff and figure out where to put it all. When my son was first diagnosed we got a couple of meters from the hospital, then we attended a couple of walks and got some more, then the endo had some and even some friends gave us some supplies. Now you would think this is a good thing and I guess in someways it is but like many of you we take the good things from one kit or another to make our own.

The Accu-chek compact plus that has the meter and lancet built in together so that is nice for traveling however, we have to use the individual lancets in the device so we have to pack those. Then we have to ensure that we have the canisters included since we can't use the strips we normally use on the other meter.

The other meter is the Ping so we have the Ping and the strips and use the multi clix pen from Accu-check so we have to carry the lancets for that pen. I know it would be easier to use use one brand but with diabetes nothing is easier.

I know many of you have been in the car and seen all the supplies roll around the seat or sometimes get left on the table in restaurants so we all figure out the best way to handle this. And then there are vacations and I prefer the meter I can download when I get home and it has to be compatable with the software I use most of the time.

So, in this bit of a rant lol I find myself with one meter for the car - I use the One touch mini and add the multi clix pen by Accu-check, for vacation I use the Accu chek compact and for home use the Ping.

Somehow it seems that no matter how organized I find the car meter in the house, the house meter in the car etc. Arrrgg.  And then there are the times we switch from pump to pens for example on vacations so we have to contend with Humolog pens and Lantus syringes and don't get me started on the infusion sets lol.

I have the spring loaded ones that we use all the time but they also sent me 5 boxes of the manual ones by mistake wihich I have and which we do not use at all but they are infusion kits and hey, someday maybe we just possibly might sometimes kinda will use them.

I have three different kinds of Glucose - the ones he likes and the ones he doesn't like but I keep the ones he doesn't like just in case he is in the middle of the desert with no soda machine (we live in the city now but you never know) right.  Then I have the stuff he thought he would use (cases, ubber pump sleeves etc which he does not use, along with Skin Tac he wanted but doesn't like but  . . . . .

So I have my primary stuff for him - then I have the replacement stuff, then the same brand but not used as much stuff, then the same brand and not used at all and then the stuff I will never use (like the Bayer Meter some one gave us and the manual infusion sets we got in error ).

Now, I can't keep it all together and I can't seperate it all in different parts of the house because I might forget I have things like the manual infusion sets which we will not use but maybe someday we might need them in case of an emergency . . . . . .

So we have a drawer for the primary located in the kitchen, the secondary -refill stuff is in the linen closet, the same brand but rarely use is in the bedroom in a box, and the brands we don't use at all is in the other bedroom closet.

Now, as I am sure is happening there is a lot of head nodding out there as I am sure I am not unique. Those that don't live it would think  I was insane for keeping it all - after all maybe there would be a nuclear war and I would need the Bayer meter (although I have no strips for it)etc.

Just wanted to put a bit of humor into our lives and see if anyone else is the packrat with diabetes like I am.

Keith, you've made me giggle.  I have so many places that my D stuff lives.  Drawers, cabinets everywhere.  You hit the nail on the head, my friend!

I forgot mention that I have 4 travel containers also - you know the ones - the small one is when your just running to the store - it has the meter, alcohol swabs, lancet, and Glugogon pen. The Medium is for the longer trips, all of the above plus extra alcohol swabs, lancets, Humolog Pen infusion kits, and needles etc. The large has all the above but a box of alcohol swabs, the BOOK, the extra syringes because you just never know etc and the suitcase size for the long trips - It has all the above plus a complete set of duplicates cause again you never know. 

lol I keep it all on top of the fridge in plastic containers. We have 3 one touch meters that wont be any use to us soon. She used one at school and one at home and the third a rep sent us when we were short on test strips and had no money. Its never been used at all. Now we are going to have to use accu check and we will have two meters again one for home and one for school. Its just easier to keep it simple.  Oh I do have a juice box and glucagon (sp) kit downstairs where we all sleep for middle of the night emergencies. If we leave the house her meter goes in my purse along with a pen just in case we stop to eat or whatever. I left once without the pen that happened or was going to so we dont leave without it anymore.

I, too am LOL.......I have supplies collected to take us through a natural disaster?!?  It is for my son as well....maybe as parents it is our way to make sure we are prepared, organized and ready to be "in control".  We have "sweets" everywhere for a "low".....glucose, menthos, starburst, skittles, sweettarts, warheads.......I have 'emergency" supplies for cars, teachers, in-laws, nurses.........all packed in plastic storage containers.........Wow, I am so glad to know I am not the only one!!!

Keith you are too funny.  Thanks for the laugh.  I too stock pile things and things I am sure we will never use.  I think it is my way of coping with this disease, her supplies are the only thing I can control. 

-Meg

Emmies mom, diagnosed 10/29/09 at age 4

Haha we do have a lot of stuff don't we??? When I lived with my parents, I had an entire drawer and cupboard in the kitchen for all my stuff, then a couple of extra meters in the "junk" drawer. Then I had a meter in my backpack, one in my purse, glucose tabs in every bag I own. I pull out bags I haven't used in years and there are still tabs in them. Moving out was entertaining, I had to have a whole box just for all my stuff. Good thing we had a big kitchen.

And then you forget where you put it and it all expires! HA

I still live at home cause I am only 14 years old. When I was little and still now we have a thing on the wall that the top steff was all of my diabetes stuff...there would be nedless, test strips, lancet, Glugogon pen, 2 meters one for school and one for home, alcohol swabs. Than I have a small one that I use to go away for like the weekend. and than we have a box that has all my pump stuff and every thing.

Nice to know I am not the only one who is a diabetes supplies packrat. I wish the companies who make this stuff would come up with some common boundries.

First, how about a universal test strip - a strip that will fit any meter. 

Second, a place on the meter that you can put the used strip after testing for easy disposal.

Third, a lancet like the Multi Clix that can be dialed each time you need to test and holds a dozen or so lancets without changing each time you need to test.

Fourth, how about a meter case that will fit the meter, extra test strips, the lancet device and the spare things you might use. How hard can it be to put a few extra elastic things that hold stuff and make the case a bit larger. 

Fifth, just for fun, how about infusions that have more color than grey, blue, pink and green. How about orange, yellow, red, purple or something that is interesting.  

It's amazing what you stock pile after awhile and don't even realize it until you try to sort through it all.  If someone came into my house and stepped one foot into my spare bedroom they would probably organize an intervention.  I have 2 bookcases (each with 3 shelves) full of just stuff.  My husband asks me all the time if I really need all of it.  I can usually find a reason to keep just about everything.  I guess I just get worried that if I do get rid of something that one day I will be in a jam and what ever it was would have worked.  Wow...maybe I do need an intervention, I sound like a hoarder!!!! hahaha

When i was growing up, we always used the biggest drawer in the kitchen for my supplies. nothing else was allowed to go in it, and the stuff always got it's own box when we moved(which was a lot) and placed in the front seat so we wouldn't lose anything. to this day, my mom still has a big basket in the kitchen where she keeps all my supplies(I just go there to restock when i run out at my place). i never had as much stuff as you guys do, but we always had lots. only in the last few years have i had more than one backup meter though.

when i got rid of the pump, we donated all the supplies i had left to the clinic, but missed a few things. so mom got me to help her go through the basket. we ended up donating all the adhesive stuff i used, one of the two ultrasmart meters we had for backup, the contour meter she got for free but i never used with strips, and some other things. we even found a bottle of expired ketone strips! have probably followed us for about 10years from move to move too!

It was amazing how much more space there was in the basket and on top of the shelf in the kitchen where my diabetic stuff had over flowed. the best part was when i moved one time and had a garbage bag FULL of sharps containers! i try to take them back when i have no more than 3 full now to avoid that..but it didn't work out that time. haha.

i don't know about the meter you're using for general stuff(i'm assuming the ping aka the ultrasmart meter?) but i find my ultrasmart case nicely fits a few needles and a bottle of novorapid when i dont wanna bring my needle/insulin bag with me :) but it would be nice if there was one case that could hold everything!

Wouldn't it be nice (maybe this already exists?) if we could have a Diabetic Swapmeet?  Everyone could bring their old/unused supplies, and we could all trade with people who could use them.  I must have three meters right now that I used to use, but don't any more, and don't have test strips for either.  Hmm.

Try having 2 diabetics in the house :) We have meters for school, daycare, grandma's, the suitcase, my work, my car, etc...... We each have our own bins with pump supplies and test strips and all of that jazz. and God only knows how many Calorie King books are floating around the house and our vehicles. Your rant was funny and brightened my day. Thanks!

How about supplies that self-combust when they expire? That would be my dream come true -- I'd never have to clean my scary closet of supplies.

My mental image of when we try to sell our house ... Innocent couple walking upstairs ... noticing innocuous hall closet ... opening closet door ... {SCREAM!} ... supplies from the last 10 years exploding onto them in the hall!!

[quote user="Keith"]

Nice to know I am not the only one who is a diabetes supplies packrat. I wish the companies who make this stuff would come up with some common boundries.

First, how about a universal test strip - a strip that will fit any meter. 

Second, a place on the meter that you can put the used strip after testing for easy disposal.

Third, a lancet like the Multi Clix that can be dialed each time you need to test and holds a dozen or so lancets without changing each time you need to test.

Fourth, how about a meter case that will fit the meter, extra test strips, the lancet device and the spare things you might use. How hard can it be to put a few extra elastic things that hold stuff and make the case a bit larger. 

Fifth, just for fun, how about infusions that have more color than grey, blue, pink and green. How about orange, yellow, red, purple or something that is interesting.  

[/quote]

Keith, great post. I am having guests come in less than  a week, thought I should try to organize that stuff and get it all in one place. Yeah, right!!! I did , however, once take things I never used and sent them to one of the Summer camps for kids with Diabetes and another time gave some to a friend's brother who was newly diagnosed. But as you say, I have the always use, vacation use, quick trip use, maybe will use, and the in case of war supplies!

Thanks for the laugh!!!

#1 Dad :) Keith :)

I have all the above but in addition I not only have in case of war supplies I also have a larger in case of nuclear war set of supplies (and of course the duplicate in case of nuclear war supplies. ) lol.  

I started metering 30 years ago, and I thought that I was a pack rat, but you have me beat by a mile.

That majority of my metering stuff is of two manufacturers, and compatible with their current strips.  I accumulated 3 Lifescan Ultra Minis to accompany my Ultrasmart, and kept one at work, one in my travel stuff, one for a spare.  I used the Ultrasmart for all my testing at home.  When I switched to the Clever Check Voice meter a year ago to control costs I had no plan to get any more meters, but received two more free bundled with Clever Check strips in EBay auctions.   

Waiting for a trip to Goodwill or a small electronics recycling day are a couple of unrequested meter kits.  I don't know many people in my area who have type 1 diabetes and I couldn't find anyone who had insurance that didn't provide free meters, or anyone uninsured who was willing to spend a buck a test on glucose monitoring -  my reason for switching to the Clever Chek Voice meter.   If I run into a Lifescan user, I'd see if I can give away some of the Ultra meters.

I paid for my two first meters out of pocket, and I'm a collector of antique electronics, so I held onto my Ames Glucometer and the OneTouch Profile that replaced it.  Since I test 4x or more each day,  a few years ago I started saving/recycling the strip containers.  They are useful for storing small items like vitamins and lancets, sweetener tablets or spices for camping.  The older ones with removable tops will hold a 10 ml vial of insulin- even the long vials like Lantus if you remove the desiccant from the cap.  I have a couple hundred of various type strip containers which I give out to friends and acquaintances.

Aside from unused strips and syringes, that's it.  It occupies one small shelf in my office closet. 

Much more annoying than this stuff is the l amount of sharps I have to store, waiting for our annual hazardous waste collection day.  1500 syringes a year and a similar number of lancets is a PITA to keep around. I've tried to minimize the volume by using a guillotine to cut the needle and hub from each syringe, storing the sharps in bleach bottles, snapping off the rubber tip from each plunger.and storing these syringe body components in coffee cans.   In 10 years of doing this I've never stuck myself accidentally.  If push came to shove, I'd feel no guilt disposing of the totally harmless and unusable syringe bodies with residential garbage.  I just wish that the plastic could be recycled.

Okay so I completely understand, but I have broken myself from this habit.  Not sure if it was me or my OCD husband.  I am thinking him since I also did this with medication (tylenol, random stuff) and he made me go through it and throw out everything that had expired.  This really hit home when he took a picture of all my crap and sent a picture to my mother with the caption :Hoarder!!  It was all in fun, but he was kind of right.  I had all this miscellaneous crap that I knew I would never use, so I sorted through it and donated it to people who need it.  The local Goodwill will take old meters and test strips.  I had some other people I knew who were diabetic (Type 2's) so I gave them some of the supplies they needed.  Also, check and see if there are any low income health care facilities around.  They ALWAYS need stuff like that.  I know in Asheville, NC there was a clinic where doctors and nurses come in to donate their time to see patients who have no insurance and everything they use is donated by drug companies and others.  Just a thought. However, I must say, I LOVED your comment because it is refreshing.  Keep it up, we all need a good laugh now and again, even if it is at our own expense!!!