You know you're a diabetic when

• You get excited when your pump company comes out with new updates or colors
  • You say that you feel ‘high’ in public and then wonder why people around you give you weird looks
  • You’ve been known to often say “this one time, at diabetes camp…”
  • You think regular soda tastes completely disgusting
  • You know what the terms A1C, diabetic ketoacidosis, glucagon, basal/bolus, and endocrinologist mean
  • You know the amount of carbohydrates in basically every food known to man
  • You have a favorite flavor of glucose tabs (and you know what they are)
  • You notice a friend’s been drinking a lot and you automatically assume they must be an undiagnosed diabetic
  • You’re parents ask how you’re doing and you tell them your blood sugar
  • You have test strips all over you purse, car, and bedroom
  • You hear something beep and you wonder if it’s your cell phone or insulin pump
  • You think it’s funny seeing the look on people’s fabces when you give an injection in public restroom
  • You think of blood sugar not bull shit when you see the initials BS
  • You use being low as an excuse when you do something dumb, but get extremely offended if you're in a bad mood and someone tells you to test your sugar
  • You are abnormally good at multiplying by 15. Thank you carb counting.
  • You have a debate about the best & worse glucose tab flavors and take it seriously
  • You get incredibly tired of having to explain to people 'no I don't have the same thing as you're 800 pound grandma...' (especially if you're type 1)
  • You know it's diabe-TEES, not diabe-TUS or diabe-TISS
  • You have white circles on your stomach... aka pump site tan lines
  • You find it crazy that someone can drink a huge glass of juice and not take insulin for it
  • Everytime you have to go to the bathroom you test your blood sugar. When it turns up at 100, you realize that it's normal to have to pee.
  • Instead of butter in the butter compartment of your refrigerator, there's insulin
  • You have magnets that look like pumps or have endo's numbers on them.... Unlike the typical fruit shapes or picture frame ones.
  • You can chug a bottle of water REALLY fast
  • You know everything about every school nurse at every school you went to
  • You had your own laminated bathroom pass from kindergarten all thru high school

ha thats pretty funny :)

[quote user="Emily Brannon"]

• Instead of butter in the butter compartment of your refrigerator, there's insulin

[/quote]

This is really funny to me considering my father and myself are diabetic. Our butter compartment is filled with insulin and we have an entire shelf of our pantry specifically for our pump supplies.

[quote user="Emily Brannon"]

• You know it's diabe-TEES, not diabe-TUS or diabe-TISS

I like those two. The first one reminds me of that old guy who says Diabetis lol, and that family guy episode making fun of him.

[/quote]

Who's favorite episode of south park is the one where they are making fun of scott malkinson (sp?) and his lisp and diabetes? :):):)

How about...You know you are Diabetic when you are on  a Diabetic forum on the weekend when you should be out partying.

you know that you are a diabetic when...

...you freak out when you find out gym class in the rain was canceled.(this has happened to me)

hey, CT. you may want to watch your use of the "n" word. there are probably people who find it offensive. :o)

you can do whatever you like CT. i was just letting you know :o)

[quote user="Courtenay"]

...you freak out when you find out gym class in the rain was canceled.(this has happened to me)

[/quote]

Okay, I may just be really slow...but I don't get this...

Care to explain? (=

|†~*Sarah*~†|

• My favorite one, lol.  

I'm with you courtney, my dad and I both hog up the butter compartment : )  Although he is a T2 that's insulin dependant. Plus we have a cabinet full of supplies too.

CT, I agree with C.

I tried to write a few more...

1. You get pulled over by a police officer and have to explain the syringes on the floor of your car.
    2. All your relatives and friends ask you to test their blood sugars.
    3. By the time you finish weighing and counting you're not hungry anymore.
    4. You know the difference between "diabetic" and "dietetic."
    5. You tell your friends you're lucky because diabetes has taught you to eat healthier.
    6. You purposely overdose on insulin so you have an excuse for eating that hot fudge sundae.
    7. You can blame the extra 10 or 20 pounds on your diabetes.
    8. You watch all the Mary Tyler Moore reruns.
    9. You actually like the Jonas Brothers and think Nick Jonas is God.
    10. You know that the "Islets of Langerhans" are not in the Caribbean or Bahamas.
    11. You try cramming for your next A1c by laying off your favorite foods and testing 20 times a day for a week.
    12. You know how to to successfully fake all the symptoms of hypoglycemia when you want to
          get out of something you don't want to do or have someone feel real sorry for you.

rofl i totally have done

6, 7, 11 and 12.

12 was mostly used to get outta gym class rofl.

[quote user="Paul Glantzman"]12. You know how to to successfully fake all the symptoms of hypoglycemia when you want to
          get out of something you don't want to do or have someone feel real sorry for you.[/quote]

Hell yes!!! Thats the best one besides the better one Paul!!

lol Batts, I used to get out of gym like that too the first few years after D

...you say "I'm high" in front of others and don't think twice about it.

I would have to say that I've used the I'm high excuse to but I never got to use it in school but have used it at work and it's worked pretty well cause most of my supervisiors don't really know what I'm talking about and so they normally send me home. The only thing is that is sucks when you see your paycheque!!!!!

CJ

Haha... they pretty much all apply to me! I used the I'm high or low excuse to get outta gym countless times, lol!

I did not get pulled over, but once I realized that it would look pretty bad if I did... In the door of my car I had a syringe, a spoon from some yogurt I had eaten on the go and a lighter from camping.  Hmm, that looks great, a spoon, a lighter and a syringe!

[quote user="Courtenay"]

[/quote]

Okay, I may just be really slow...but I don't get this...

Care to explain? (=

|†~*Sarah*~†|

I'm guessing that Courtenay had eaten a snack in advance of gym class so that she wouldn't go low.  Then when it was cancelled she didn't have the exercise to counter the snack, so she would go high.