Excess baggage

As T1s, we have lots of things that we need to carry with us at all times (pump supplies, meter, test strips, extra batteries, snacks, etc...).  I've tried putting everything in my purse, but it became totally unorganized.  Most of the diabetes supply bags and cases that I have seen on the internet are too small if you use a pump and CGM and need those extra supplies with you. 

Right now, I am packing my "parefenalia" in an insulated lunch bag.  Does anyone have other ideas that are not too expensive?  And would keep the supplies somewhat organized?

I honestly haven't found a solution. What I do is carry my needles and insulin (and now allergy pills haha) in a medium sized cosmetic bag. Then I have my test kit with my strips, poker and meter.

When I was on the pump for 3months, I used to carry up to 4 site changes with me everywhere (that's how much trouble i had with sites coming off!) but just shoved all of that into the cosmetic bag i used before the pump and still with the supplies. it was bulky but it seemed to work alright.

I also don't carry small purses to that may help. I have not a HUGE bag but a large sidebag rather than a small over the shoulder purse.

lol now I'm worried I'm a bad diabetic.. I just carry around my test kit and glucose tablets. I dont worry about my pump supplies or batteries.. I keep an eye out on my batteries.. I have had my pump rip out at school but depending on my sugar I'll just wait till I get home to put a new site in.

[quote user="Tawnya"]

lol now I'm worried I'm a bad diabetic.. I just carry around my test kit and glucose tablets. I dont worry about my pump supplies or batteries.. I keep an eye out on my batteries.. I have had my pump rip out at school but depending on my sugar I'll just wait till I get home to put a new site in.

[/quote]

You're not a bad diabetic nor are you alone.  I also only keep my meter and peppermints with me.   I do have an extra infusion set that I keep at my desk at work.  I can't imagine carrying all that stuff around.  There are too many places that I can stop and grab something to eat if I need to or if for some odd reason my batteries go dead without a warning from my pump or meter, etc.       

I keep my meter -- One Touch Ultra Minis are very compact -- and a syringe and bottle of insulin in case of pump failure.  Fits in my small purse. 

My 16yo T1 daughter has a problem sometimes carrying everything nicely.  I think sometimes it has contributed to her sloppiness or noncompliance issues.  It's enough for a teenager to drag around a book bag right?!  Small wonder that her stuff gets messed up in her purse sometimes.  She uses a OneTouch Ultra Mini meter which has its own cute little case and uses novolog FlexPens though so at least during the day she doesn't have too much stuff to drag around.

I currently carry a diaper bag to haul around the baby stuff. I stick my meter in a side pocket and use a cosmetics bag to carry my insulin, extra sites, inserter, and reservoir. Before the baby I used a medium sized purse and carried : wallet, keys, phone, meter, extra supplies, book, sunglasses, etc. I'm looking for a bag that will carry all the baby stuff and have a place to hold my stuff that can easily be removed on the rare occasions I go somewhere alone. *Sigh* You know, before this stupid diabetes thing ten years ago, I scoffed at purses. Golly I miss those days!

I am most likely going to be one of the oldest guys that carries a backpack with him everywhere. Honestly my backpack is with me everywhere even at work or just going out around town since I prefer to keep all my meds, I.D., books, and sketch supplies on hand. At least if they find me by the side of the road they will have some nice research, artwork and esoteric reading material to skim through while waiting for the ambulance. Whatever a person carries with them be it in their bag , wallet or pockets is sometimes their own biography.  Some other people I know use shoulder or sling bags like you see hikers, bikers and college kids use now.

When I used a small sized purse i just have my meter and my wallet with my but if i am useing my bigger sized purse that my family says looks like a baby bag. I will have everything I need it it but my my pump stuff.

I usually just carry around my meter (OneTouch UltraLink) and some fast-acting (glucose gel and/or glucose tabs).  If I really want to travel light I put a tube of glucose gel or some glucose tabs in the outside of my meter case (which is pretty small) and just carry that.  If I have other stuff to bring with me, I throw my meter and some tabs in a bag or my backpack.  I know I should probably carry some insulin and syringes with me in case my pump fails, but the farthest I go from home for an extended period of time is 30 minutes away for one day a week, and I've only had a problem with my site coming off then once.  At school, I keep extra pumps supplies and other stuff so that I can change my site at school if I have to.  

My Friends have grown to call me Lunch Box. Why? Because i carry everything i need in it. I got my meter, some alcohol swaps, needles for my pens, my Insulin, and Glucose Tablets and Skittles just in case. Plus i can throw other things in there. IF need be. But if all else fails i'd get a small backpack or something. Should be able to fit everything in one of those.

HAHAHA. "Paraphernalia" made me laugh.  :D 

Honestly, I've been carrying around a little case that my pump company gave me probably 10 years ago.  It doesn't really keep my supplies too organized, but there is an extra pocket to keep smaller things away from my infusion sets, etc.  

I've been trying to find big enough cosmetic cases (the soft plasticy ones that you can get from Target or Walmart) since they have lots of pockets, are easy to clean, and (some) are pretty cute!  I haven't found a big enough one yet, but I think that's a pretty good idea.

Happy shopping!

Hayley