Feeling Alone

Hello my names Felicia. I’m 19 years old and I was diagnosed in 2003 when I was 8. I’ve had good and bad moments living with type 1. I’m at a point in my life where I feel so alone and lost. I have others around me asking " why is it so hard to manage your diabetes, everyone else can do it." I can sure use support from others who know what I’m going through not those who see what I’m going through.

Hi Felicia, I’m Eliza. I am 16 years old and was diagnosed when I was 5 in 2002. At the moment I feel exactly the same way, I am struggling to come to terms about having diabetes even though I have had it for such a long time. I constantly have people telling me that “what I am doing is not hard and anyone could do it” even though those people haven’t had diabetes a day in their life and have know idea what being a diabetic entails. Don’t let those people get to you, they obviously have no idea what they are talking about! I recently told someone close to me how I was feeling and that helped a lot and I am soon going to talk to a professional about my feelings of being isolated and alone. Please feel free to talk to me. I am happy to support you and talk to you at anytime. :slight_smile: xx

Hi Felicia,

I was diagnosed when I was 10, so I know what it’s like to live more than half your life with this disease and I am happy to say that I can understand what you’re going through. I’m not happy, particularly, that either of us or anyone at all has to deal with this disease, but that seems to be the common factor- we deal with it, bad or good. For me, my parents have always held me to a standard of almost perfection. So, it’s hard to talk to them about my diabetes, especially when it’s bad. I’m 20 years old, so we’re close in age- you and I, so I’m sure you can relate when I say that even now, at 20, I still feel the need to hide parts of my diabetes to them. I don’t tell people, because I don’t want them to ‘deal with it’ too or ‘deal with me’, but I’m learning that that’s no good way to live with this disease. It keeps me isolated and that’s not fair to anyone. I don’t have anyone close to me, intimately or otherwise, dealing with this disease. I know ‘of’ people, but that’s about it. You’re not the only one who’s out there, feeling like you’re riding this ride solo, and you don’t have to feel alone and if you do, I hope that we can feel alone together. It’s really, really hard to do as a juvenile diabetic, but I think what I’m learning as of late, is that in order to really not feel alone, you have to stop making yourself be alone. For me, I have felt that I’ve isolated myself from things ‘other people’ are doing, because I’m afraid of how my diabetes will react in those mixes. That’s no way to live. We can’t let juvenile diabetes take the fun out of living. We have to manage it and make ourselves better because of it. Maybe somewhere along the way we’ll feel less alone. I am here for you Felicia! Thank you for sharing your honest feelings. I hope you reply to what I’ve said. I am excited to continue this conversation. I am seriously glad to talk any time girl! I hope you feel the same.

Hey Felicia,
I can relate. I’ve had Type 1 Diabetes for five years (I’m 15) but it feels like double. I feel really lonely with diabetes, and it brings down my happiness and self esteem. I feel like I’m fighting a loosing battle, something that I will take to the grave.
Please feel free to talk to me at anytime!

It can be your blood sugars believe it or not. Im 19 ive been diagnosed sincei was 4 years old and all through highschool especially i would fall into these days of depression. Check your number and remember that tomorrow is a better day until you make it worse. Diabetes really will become part of your everyday life i grab my pump just like i do my cell phone. I change my site just as often as i do dishes in my apartment it becomes part of you and eventually it’
ll just fit in you wont even have to think twice