Alone

Lately I have been feeling more and more alone in my diabetes journey. Actually just life in general is seeming to become lonely and dull. I only know two people in my area that have diabetes and are my age. I have tried to become friends with each of them, the one I have become close with and its an incredible feeling. To know that you aren’t the only person feeling like diabetes is dragging you down to the point of giving in. To know that we can find comfort in one another is a feeling that i am so thankful for and I wish I could share that feeling with everyone facing this disease. I want everyone to know that they are not alone in their feelings of sadness, doubts, worry, and hate. I also want everyone to know that I am with you in your moments of happiness, success, and accomplishments. I know that I do not know anyone on this site, but I am proud of each and everyone of you that has not given up. Facing the struggle of diabetes is difficult, and i am proud to be one of the many people that are still fighting to live with this disease. I would love to connect with more people, and be able to share experiences and feelings that you have felt. I dont want anyone to feel alone in this battle, because even when you feel like you are, you’re not. :slight_smile:

@savannah,

I am sorry that you feel this way right now but, you are so strong in saying that you want to be able to be there for others! Even when you are feeling down yourself! You aren’t alone we are all in this together!!!

I can relate, Savannah. I live in a small city with not many Type 1’s, and they all like to keep to themselves. So sites like this have given me a safe place to talk to others without judgement. I’ve had it 31 years, but I was diagnosed as a teen and I know how difficult it is when you are overwhelmed with information and just trying to live a normal teenage life. The good news is, you have a long life ahead of you. If you can manage (I hate the word “control”) your BG’s, you will feel better, and you will also feel more empowered by taking charge of your condition. Are you on a pump? Do you have some hobbies or sports you enjoy? These are what living is all about. Diabetes management is just what we have to do so that we can enjoy doing the things we like and spending time with those we love. Come to this site whenever you need some support.

@angivan
Yes I am on a pump… I have been for 2 years now and it has improved my life so much it is unbelievable. I do have some hobbies; I like to read, write poems, draw, and hang out with friends. I am captain of the pom team at my school, I have been doing it for 4 years now and it takes up much of my time but i enjoy it. I cant believe that you have had it that long. I guess I have so much hope in them finding a cure soon that I forget that I could possibly have it for the REST OF MY LIFE. It makes me happy though to see that people have been able to thrive in life even though they have diabetes!It really is an inspiration to see things like that and that people have been able to find the good in life while living with the bad!

That’s really cool! It sounds like you have some things that keep you active and your creativity alive. Being a teenager can be confusing and frustrating, but keep in mind that this phase will be over before you know it. My life didn’t really start until I graduated high school! I always felt like a misfit, but once that clique thing is not much of a factor, you can really spread your wings and figure out who you are.

I never want to discourage anyone from being hopeful, but the reality is that a cure has been in research for a long, long time. With that said, I would be thrilled if a true cure were announced within my lifetime, but I can’t live my life clinging to that, because it could be next week, or it could be 100 years from now. So seize the life you have been given, you still have so much in front of you. Decide what kind of person you want to be (it takes a while to do that), and don’t let your T1D get in the way. It can require some modifications, but with only a few exceptions, you can do or be anything you want. I hope you enjoy the holidays! It’s a good T1D holiday…lots of low-carb turkey, gravy, and cheesy veggies!

@Savannah

It’s amazing that you’ve made yourself so open and available. That’s a rare quality to have!

A lot of us have been there and gone through what you’re going through. It’s a battle, but it’s one we’re all fighting together!

You’re never alone in this. Never forget that.

It really is great to see other people to see. Like you said, it’s very motivating!

Keep up your dedication. A very inspiring message you wrote up top.

@Caddy and @angivan
Thank you :slight_smile:

You’re awesome @savannah!

I loved diabetes summer camp as a kid because it was the only place where I ever met other diabetics.

Thankfully, sites like TypeOneNation are like diabetes summer camp without the mosquitoes! You get to hear from other people who understand what it’s like and it means so much. Take care and God Bless You for being such an encourager.