Did pig/calf insulin smell like our current-day insulin?

Well, is it not the case that e-coli is used in the forming of synthetic insulin? Also, when I moved from Pork to human synthetics, especially NPH and Regular, seizures became a way of life. From what I understand, the transition from pork to human synthetic can be very tricky if not dangerous (well, duh..it's insulin); same goes for moving from NPH/Regular to humalog. Not that transitioning is bad, but I think it's more to do with the efficacy of the formulas...each time, the transition for me (anecdotal evidence...not worth much) was accompanied by seizures from hypo's...

I am now going to the plastic container to smell the insulin. If it says anything about fish ingredients, however, I am running as fast as I can in the opposite direction.

[quote user="Crochet Nut"]

Well, is it not the case that e-coli is used in the forming of synthetic insulin?

[/quote]

Yes. This is true.

[quote user="Happy Vegan"]

[quote user="Crochet Nut"]

Well, is it not the case that e-coli is used in the forming of synthetic insulin?

[/quote]

Yes. This is true.

[/quote]

...however let us be very clear, it is genetically engineered e-coli, and nothing of the original e-coli is left over after purification.  the e-coli multiply rapidly, making zillions of themselves as well as zillions of the target protein chain.  then they are smashed, then only the replicated protien chain (insulin active ingredient) is removed and concentrated.

other therapeutic proteins are made by yeast (again, very special altered yeast).  hooray for the "busy BUGS"!!!

Sorry to hear about your bad reactions, Crochetnut...  there were a lot of folks upset when beef/pork went off the market, there were support blogs once upon a time with many horror stories.  for me, the switch to human insulin was great.  The switch from Regular to analog (Humalog) was scary because of the difference in speed.

I bet the pig insulin smells like bacon...mmm bacon

[quote user="Pat"]

I bet the pig insulin smells like bacon...mmm bacon

[/quote]

now we're talkin

I was on pork insulin when first diagnosed in 1983 and then went to humulin- and now humulog and I remember them all smelling the same!!  I kind of always thought they must add some additive to it to have that same smell- when I think of pork insulin the same smell comes to mind- but always thought maybe I am just remembering it wrong!!

So if you ever do the scientific research on this would be curious to know.

We need a doctor T1 in our network to give us an answer- there must be one of you out there!

By the way my husband and son hate the smell of it and always remark when they smell it, but it doesn't bother me and my daughter who are both T1's!  it has a weird smell but it doesn't bother us- for me because I know it is my lifesaver so who cares.

Laura

[quote user="Laura"]

I was on pork insulin when first diagnosed in 1983 and then went to humulin- and now humulog and I remember them all smelling the same!!  I kind of always thought they must add some additive to it to have that same smell- when I think of pork insulin the same smell comes to mind- but always thought maybe I am just remembering it wrong!!

So if you ever do the scientific research on this would be curious to know.

We need a doctor T1 in our network to give us an answer- there must be one of you out there!

By the way my husband and son hate the smell of it and always remark when they smell it, but it doesn't bother me and my daughter who are both T1's!  it has a weird smell but it doesn't bother us- for me because I know it is my lifesaver so who cares.

Laura

[/quote]

my old endo was a Dr and a T1...doubt he'd get on here though