Did anyone participate in JDRF's Walk to Cure Diabetes this year, especially in Chicago?

I did the JDRF walk today, I have done it before, and I really enjoy it.  There are so many emotions involved, but mostly I feel pride.  Unfortunately this year, I walked alone.   At first it didn't bother me, I focused on my walk, but after awhile the sound of laughter and genuine camaraderie made me feel a little lonely.  The excitement and energy grows during the event and I had no one to share it with.  Even so, I wouldn't have changed anything and not participated.  Now I am second-guessing myself.  Should I have done more to "beg" someone to come along (not my style)?  I'm not good at meeting other diabetics like me.  Maybe Juvenation is a good opportunity for diabetics to come together. 

Please tell me your experiences if you have done thewalk or share your opinions/ideas.

went to one today at belmont state park my first one really fun cant wait to design my t-shirt

this was my first year since i was diagnosed 15years ago. my moms always been a single parent, so she didn't have the time or energy to take my big brother and me when i was younger, she did help out with the clothesline for a bit and that kinda stuff though, and then when i gradded i either missed the date for it, or was too busy myself. but i did it this year with one of my roomies, my brother and his girlfriend came and my mom and my step-dad did as well. i managed to raise $230. we're gonna do it again next year.

i am participating in one in south jersey in about 2 weeks.  this will be my 2nd year participating. 

i did a diabetes walk today in Busse Woods in Schaumburg. i saw shannon there =) it was awesome!!!!

[quote user="Batts"]

this was my first year since i was diagnosed 15years ago. my moms always been a single parent, so she didn't have the time or energy to take my big brother and me when i was younger, she did help out with the clothesline for a bit and that kinda stuff though, and then when i gradded i either missed the date for it, or was too busy myself. but i did it this year with one of my roomies, my brother and his girlfriend came and my mom and my step-dad did as well. i managed to raise $230. we're gonna do it again next year.

[/quote]

Right on Batts. This is my first year too after 20 years with diabetes. I have raise $85 so far.

I did the diabetes walk every year as a kid.  When I moved out on my own I stopped for a while, but this was my 3rd year back at it.  I had my b/f and his family walk with me (we do just about everything together).  I mentioned it to my friends and asked for either a donation or for them to walk with me, but begging isn't my style either.  I'm usually pretty straight with people.  My b/f and I were talking about it, and we decided that more than 1/2 of the people at these things don't even have it themselves.  Next year, you could bring family, friend, co-work, church member, your hairdresser... anyone you'd like to talk to during the walk.  Good luck!

I am doing one at Liberty State Park on the 24th. I am almost at my goal, but I always take more money. (Cough, cough). See under my signature. (Cough)

i've been walking since i was diagnosed at 7 years old. and when i was away at college i even found a walk up there that i participated in which was fun because all of my college friends came and sororities and frat's participated as well.  this year ill be walking in the walk closer to my home at the end of october! can't wait!

No offense, Brian, but there's a lot of us trying to reach our goals.  Don't try to tap out the resources here! If all us poor kids had money, don't you think we'd donate to ourselves?  But if anyone does want to donate *cough*cough* I'd be more than willing to accept your donations right next to Brian *cough*cough*

I think we need some cough drops!  :-P

The Philadelphia walk is Oct 25 and I am going!

O :-)

I just put it out there. We all have our own walks, but we all do what we can. My friend Jeanette and I support each other on the same team.

It is the end result that matters. And I love your concern for the cough. I sometimes just get these random cough fits. So weird.

maybe we should drink more water, or hot tea!  that always soothes my throat! 

i like your halo, btw

Goes with my big head.

Wahoo. Chicago Lakefront walk!! it makes me so happy and loved to see the mass crowd. 

I will be doing the Walk in San Diego on November 8th!

I didn't participate in the Walk, but I did volunteer at the walk with registration and T-shirts! I feel like that's the best way to help currently (as a college student) perhaps, once I'm out of college, I'll actually raise money and do the walk.

i did the one in Denver, it was amazing my first walk ever, it was the week before i got my pump there were so many people it was awesome! we walked around the theme park that used to be 6 flags.

I did one this year and because I was just diagnosed is February I had a lot of support from family and even from friends that I went to high school with and hadn't talked to in a couple years. I don't know how close you are to anyone who lives near you. But, you could post flyers or even if you have friends at work or something. Even if you're not really close to these people, meeting new people and just talking to them about it can bring new friendship to you. I had asked my store manager if I could post a few flyers in our break room and I had a lot of donations from many of these people because I've known many of them for years.

I walked in Orem, Utah a few weeks ago. I was really excited for the walk. I couldn't wait to meet other diabetics in my area and feel support (I was recently diagnosed and have no family support). But, I never saw one person test their blood sugar, give an insulin shot, or use their pump. In fact, I didn't see ANY pumps. So at lunch time, after looking around for a while for any sign of a diabetic, I went home to give myself insulin and eat. It was a kind of disappointing day. Don't you go to the Walk not only to support a cure but to support each other?