Did anyone participate in JDRF's Walk to Cure Diabetes this year, especially in Chicago?

Thank you for replying... it's funny that you say about no one checking their blood sugars, or taking shots, etc.,  We were outside (in Chicago) and there were some tables set up, so people could've sat down with their supples and checked their sugars and such but nope.  I am sad you didn't feel like there was support <I am sending you some late support and well wishes>.  There was such energy around me the other day but I felt alone.  I approached people but they seemed to be attached to their partners so I felt awkward and backed off.  I too have no family support, next year I will better prepare myself mentally, not just physically.  Don't give up though, I hope you enjoyed it anyway.  :)

Thank you all so much for your responses.  After reading them and thinking for awhile, I thought of an idea that may help.  Or others in the same situation.  At the JDRF walk I think it is really nice how groups of different sizes get together, come up with a name, sometimes wear the same t-shirts and walk together.  Well, maybe I can start the "Chicago's Single Roamers or Chicago's Solo Pilgrims" Club.  So the idea is to somehow advertise, maybe through JDRF and then people who are interested in joining a group, can be with us.  There a lot more to it, but it could wok.  Maybe other cities already do it.

I'll give you a reason why this might be a nice thing to have.  When I told my mom I felt a little bad about the walk she said her best friend's daughter, we'll her Emelia, who's close to my age, but not a diabetic, was at the same walk  She said that Emelia walks for a co-worker who is a long-term diabetic.  We talked about me walking with Emelia next year, which would be okay, but... my mom tells me, don't worry... I'm sure if we ask her it'll okay if you tag along.  Meaning I would be an extra wheel on Emelia's friend's already full diabetic walking train.  Maybe I  overreacted but I kinda threw up in my mouth.  I said no that's ok, Mom.  She said what's the difference between Emelia walking alone with me and me walking with of them.  I said I felt as though I would be walking for Emelia's friend.  My mom said well what if you walked with a diabetic?  I said that is equal, we're walking for ourselves and each other.   Plus I am just kind in the way...yuck!  Am I crazy?  I am very friendly.

We walked in Lisle Sunday. My child was diagnosed 6 weeks ago. Good for you for walking! Keep up the good work. You are helping alot of people and it gives you a place to belong. It was very encouraging to my daughter.

That is how I felt too. There were so many people there so excited to give, but I was completely alone. Like I said, since I was recently diagnosed, I don't know everything yet. I wish they would have had the carbs for the food we were eating. They served donuts for breakfast... something I hadn't eaten since being diagnosed. I don't know everything was so weird. But I did have fun walking. I felt good fundraising and knowing I was doing this to help others, not just me. We can be each other's support!