Your thoughts

sooo ive been thinking a lot lately about this and was just wondering if anybody else has ever thought about this too. ive always wondered what it feels like to be on the other side.. like i mean me being the one who doesnt have diabetes and the one who doesnt know much about it. i was seven when i was diagnosed with it so i didnt know about it then. i guess you could say ive forgotten what it feels like to be "normal" or maybe dont quite know what that feels like.

Oh yes, I think everyone's been through that. It's funny you posted it, I was thinking about this the other day. I've had it since I was 1, so I know no other way (it's nice to imagine not having it though). Look on the bright side, it's one of the few health problems we are able to control.

I feel tired a lot and get headaches, and sometimes I wish I could know what it feels like not to have D so I could compare whether it's the D that's making me feel like this or not.

I've totally forgotten what it feels like to be non-diabetic. In my younger years and especially on halloween I would pretend I wasn't and sneak into my room with my halloween candy and start chowing down. This always ended with my mom finding me and sticking me a strong dose of RPH.

Shannon is absolutely right, we are so lucky to be able to control it with diet and medicine. Imagine being diabetic 100 years ago, you would be lucky to live more than a week!

I feel this way too, Sarah!  I'll have a really terrible headache and be SO sure that it's because I have a super-high blood sugar and just need more insulin.  Then I test and I'm at 110, and it's like - ok...so what do I do now?

I don't remember life before diabetes either. it would be interesting to feel sick and not immediately blame it on diabetes, or have to put diabetes before everything.

Ive always wondered what life would be like without it. and it always leads to, what type of person would I be? would I not be as strong or as able to adjust?

I've only been a T1 for almost 5 years (April '05), but I don't "feel" like a diabetic. I feel like I did before...there just exist more requirements and tasks for me to perform in order to feel "normal" (Disclaimer: Normal is different to different people). But I remember being able to eat anything and everything without worrying about bolusing or checking my glucose 2 & 4 hrs later to make sure what I ate isn't driving my insides nuts.

Has it changed my life? Sure. Has it at all limited what I've done, the sports I play and have played, and any professional achievements I've gotten via work? No.

I don't think having diabetes doesn't make me normal. Sure there are times that I can't do what everyone else is doing, but other people have things that stop them from doing what a diabetic does. So, really no one is normal. Everyone has something that limits them from something else.

Don't get me wrong though, sometimes I do wish that I could do things that I can't, but diabetes is a part of my life and I can't change it. So, why not make the best of it and enjoy life?

I don't know.. it's just how I look at things.

I've only been dx for 3 years-this month and I DO  remember what it is to be normal, to be free, to be without the constant worry, constant monitoring, constant futility of dealing with this without any hope of ever getting rid of this.  I do know that I cannot live with this or want to.  This  has destroyed me

Wow,  what a different perspective.  I was dx'd when I was 50 years old, just over a year ago.  I never went to a Dr, never was really sick other than the yearly cold/flu.  I used to do what ever, when ever I wanted, now it seems like I have to do every thing on a schedule.  You know, watch the clock for lunch time, but before I eat have to test bg, figure how much Novalog, eat accordingly, watch the clock to test again. Same thing tomorrow,  over and over.  If I plan to go anywhere more than 2 hours, got to remember to pack up all the supplies to go with me, just in case.  I got to remember to make appointments, when to call to get more supplies, and all the time thinking about how I feel,  is the bg too high, too low, about right?  It has been frustrating at times thru the last year.  Before (when I was "normal")  I never thought about what it was like to have to do all of this.  I thought of things like, 15 more years of work,  what will I do, where will I go when I retire. 

Am I lucky, to have gone sooo long without having to deal with all the things that comes with having t1?  For a while, I thought about, did I do something wrong to "catch" this? Was it that one chocolate bar, or the Pepsi (I always had a 22 ounce bottle near by) that did this to ME?  I spent weeks looking for a reason, but soon found out, that even though nobody can tell me exactly why, it was probably nothing I did wrong.  I guess at least for me, is to accept what is, now, and move on.  Even though I have to deal with t1, everything else is still the same, I still got to work, still pay my bills and taxes, balance the check book,  get the groceries, except now if I get something new, I read the label for ingredients and carbs. I still plan for weekends with my son, one of my best pleasures. I used t1 as an excuse last year, not to drive 12 hours to go home to visit family, but this year it is not gonna get in my way.    I try not to think of it as harder, just different, maybe even, one day, the new normal.  BTW Pepsi Max is almost as good as the other Pepsi.  LOL,  I will probably "catch" something from that next. 

I have only been a diebetic for  10 months i remeber normalcy (life without T1)  your better that you don't remember how it felt .... however Sarah you are very normal look at all the thousands of people who are just like feeling the same exact way you are right at this very moment... Sweety we are normal just because we have something that makes us diffent from most of the people around us doesn't make us not normal...  Smile Girly Q

[quote user="Carol11"]

I've only been dx for 3 years-this month and I DO  remember what it is to be normal, to be free, to be without the constant worry, constant monitoring, constant futility of dealing with this without any hope of ever getting rid of this.  I do know that I cannot live with this or want to.  This  has destroyed me

[/quote]

Carol, your quote really made me worry about you! I also love to blow off steam on here. But, I really hope you don't feel like you can't go on living with this. Have you talked to your doctor about your concerns? I hope you can find someone to talk to so you don't have to keep feeling so awful!

[quote user="eric5093"]

Wow,  what a different perspective.  I was dx'd when I was 50 years old, just over a year ago.

[/quote]

Eric -- I hope Keith finds you on here!! He feels like he's the only one dx'ed in his 50's and I bet he's love some company! (Keith?? Are you there??)

LOL, halloween candy! when I was younger I'd go out with all my friends, but when I got home I'd do a trade with my mom. She would give me a very special toy and I'd give her the delicious candy.

[quote user="Sarah"]

I feel tired a lot and get headaches, and sometimes I wish I could know what it feels like not to have D so I could compare whether it's the D that's making me feel like this or not.

[/quote]

I do not have D, and I feel that way sometimes too.  I'm sure that doesn't give you a sense of whether it's the D or not, but if your BS is ok, it probably just means your "normal".  Especially as parents, we tend to run ourselves down by taking it all on and trying to maintain balance.  That can cause exhaustion and headaches.  I'm guessing that the D just makes that worse.

There's a lot of talk about being normal.  I know very few people who are normal at all, with or without T1.  We all just have different abnormallities :-)

I remember when I didn't used to come on Juvenation and spend time reading about all these great people, staying positive, and doing great things, and actually would use this time for useful stuff, like homework.

But maybe this isn't such a bad thing...

[quote user="Run D-Link"]

I remember when I didn't used to come on Juvenation and spend time reading about all these great people, staying positive, and doing great things, and actually would use this time for useful stuff, like homework.

But maybe this isn't such a bad thing...

[/quote]

Or sleeping or practicing, lol.  The Internet has killed my life! 

But seriously, I've wondered about this a lot because I often feel like I'm on a roller-coaster with my blood sugars and I wonder how much better I would feel if I didn't often feel that way.  I definitely would not be normal, but I'd probably think more clearly and feel physically better.