So frustrated!

I have been in a bad mood for the last few months and I couldn't put my finger on what was bothering me and why.  This weekend I think I figured it out.  I am 24 years old, diabetic since I was 1 year old, I have always been treated like everyone else.  However in some circumstances I need other people to understand that just because I look like them, doesn't mean I know what it's like to have a working pancreas that produces insulin. Some days my blood sugars are really high or low or I am sick and it's going to take me more time than them to "bounce back" and that does make me DIFFERENT.  I am not just complaining or being a pain, I don't feel good! If you are not a diabetic do NOT tell me you know how I feel or what I'm going through.  It's so frustrating to have people that are health with health families, tell me how I should feel.  If someone in a wheelchair was complaining about being in a wheel chair, I would have no place to tell them that they were being negative and shouldn't complain.  I don't know what it's like to have to deal with that and it would be wrong of me to judge them when I don't know the struggles and frustration that comes with that.  If you have never lived it don't judge it.  If you have then you know what it's like to have your good days and bad and right now I am going through some bad ones and trying very hard to over come them.

Amen!!!! I am right there with ya!!!!!  We "D's" don't look sick and most of society has no idea the battle that our bodies are in to just fight the common cold. It takes us twice as long to recover and most people don't want to hear the long story that goes along with our condition. I battled through two pregnancies while working full time and no one wanted to hear that morning sickness  was a reason for a trip to the ER. It is hard when people think we are whining but try to stay strong and remember that your health is very important. Do what u have to so that we can live to fight another day...because it is a battle and we have to pick and chose our them carefully.  Remember you are not alone....we know your frustration...keep smiling!

I agree with your thoughts. While I do want to be considered a "normal" person, in some ways D makes me different.

I once had a psychiatrist tell me, "If you'd just realize diabetes is no big deal, you wouldn't feel depressed!" ERG! Never went back to him.

I've only been in Club 1 for a little over 2 years and I there with you!!! The other thing I am not too happy with, is the people that go the other way and treat me like I am glass or something. Heck,  I am a 54 year old man not a delicate flower! LOL

You nailed it on the head. Frustration is abundant. People are people though. They will never stop being ignorant. Ignore them and take care of yourself. I get equally frustrated but I try to feel bad for the person lecturing me because you can't help stuphid. :0

I hear ya, all of you.  To me the frustration is that no matter what you do, or don't do, it does not make one d... bit of difference.  I can never get rid of this curse and that has destroyed me.

I totally agree with you! My biggest issue is...and this is no judgment on type 2's or gestational--- so don't get grouchy with me PEOPLE! lol

but I want to try and get pregnant, and yeah its gonna be a long, perhaps difficult process....we are not offered short term disability at work, but instead they offer us Aflack (with the duck!) to provide short term, long term, and all that good stuff...I go to apply through it for work...AUTOMATICALLY DENIED...sorry--- you have type one, which means it cost more to take care of you therefore you are not accepted through our program--- (they didn't say it like that, but it pretty much sums it up!)....so I was denied short term and all those extra benefits because I am Type 1----

THIS IS ME VENTING--- ITS NOT MY FAULT I HAVE DIABETES so why make me suffer and not get the same things offered, AND I HAVE LEARNED TO LIVE, ADJUST, AND EMBRACE MY DISEASE, SO SHOULD EVERYONE ELSE....of course, there is alot more fowl language involved, but i am annoyed, and angry and makes me resort to emotions I had when I was 10 years old and first diagnosed....

does your work have FMLA available for you take? even though it's unpaid, it will guarantee you still have a job. sorry for your troubles :o(

they offer FMLA, but I would rather have that safety net of "What if's".....I also work in a profession that I have to do alot of lifting, patient care  (i work as a emt) and my fear would be if i had to use fmla, i would have no income...I think eventually we will just have to 'plan' having a child and having a safety net of money in our bank accounts, as if i would be getting paid...its just sucky... :-(