Woot

I just talked to Rileys case manager and she is going to switch us to the basal bolus or MDI flex plan or whatever you wanna call it when we go see her on Feb 8th. I am so happy! I am so sick of having to feed her 60 carbs at breakfast lunch and dinner. Woot lol sorry a little excited even tho it means more shots it will be better control.

She doesnt think Riley is really going to honeymoon or if she did it was just a little and over a week ago when she did really good and we were reducing her insulin lots. Now we are increasing lots. I have to give her 30 units of nph tomorrow :( Which means if she needs any log I will have to stick her twice. She just called in 50 unit needles for me but I am not sure if I will be able to get them tomorrow or if it will have to wait until friday.

Woot!  I am happy  for you. 

This is what we do for Benjamin & I can't imagine having to make him eat or limit him to a certian amount of food.  It is so worth the extra shot.  I hope this works for you!

btw...of topic, but I saw on another post that you have twins.  Benjamin has a twin brother.

Debbi

Jessica, finally!! I'm so happy for you guys!! It will really mean a lot to her to be able to eat what and when she wants within reason. When the doctors came up with carb counting when I was in high school, I felt almost *normal*. (:

Of course, when she wants to eat a larger snack, you'll have to "torture" her by poking her with a needle, lol. Probably more shots a day will make her get over her complaints sooner, right!?

fixed carb plans and only 2 shots a day is no fun but I guess here they start you that way cause its easier in their minds. Then transfer you over to the other way.Its such a fight to get her to eat enough sometimes with some meals. Then other meals she is still hungry and cant have more. All her main meals are 60 carbs and her 3 snacks a day are 15.

Yep my twins are 11 they are also autistic have adhd and absence seizures. Twins are a blast and a handful or two lol. Are yours identical or fraternal?  Mine are ID.

[quote user="Sarah"]

Jessica, finally!! I'm so happy for you guys!! It will really mean a lot to her to be able to eat what and when she wants within reason. When the doctors came up with carb counting when I was in high school, I felt almost *normal*. (:

Of course, when she wants to eat a larger snack, you'll have to "torture" her by poking her with a needle, lol. Probably more shots a day will make her get over her complaints sooner, right!?

[/quote]

It cracks me up she wants more shots a day to have more freedom with all the crud she gives me about the shots. I even know her dinner time ratio she seems with most meals to be at 20:1 I think her breakfast tho will be 15:1 maybe she runs higher after breakfast two hours after breakfast she has been getting into the 400's gulp. I cant wait to learn all I need to for this! I want to be ready before we go there on the 8th lol.

happy for you too,Jessica !!!

Thanks!

very happy for you and riley, jessica. despite more pokes, it will make her life easier.

I am not sure about exactly what the flexplan is, but our 5 yr old started with NPH and aspart and had set snacks and lunch but a carb ratio for breakfast and supper (he was diagnosed last feb at age 4). in october we switched to glargine (lantus) from NPH and now he gets aspart for all his meals and if he wants a morning snack. we can also increase other snacks if he wants more insulin. he is happier having extra pokes and freedom to eat. in fact if he asks if it is lunch yet and i tell him it's in half an hour (or whatever) he will ask for extra insulin and i have to convince him just to wait. We are looking at putting him on the pump (as soon as we can afford to) and he is looking forward most to the freedom to eat without extra shots:)

[quote user="Jessica "]

Yep my twins are 11 they are also autistic have adhd and absence seizures. Twins are a blast and a handful or two lol. Are yours identical or fraternal?  Mine are ID.

[/quote]

You do have a lot on your plate, don't you!?!   

We believe my boys are fraternal.  They are a blast & I love them to death, but they are a lot of work {grin}.

Again, so happy for you & your daughter.  Hope this makes things a ton easier!

[quote user="zekesmom"]

I am not sure about exactly what the flexplan is, but our 5 yr old started with NPH and aspart and had set snacks and lunch but a carb ratio for breakfast and supper (he was diagnosed last feb at age 4). in october we switched to glargine (lantus) from NPH and now he gets aspart for all his meals and if he wants a morning snack. we can also increase other snacks if he wants more insulin. he is happier having extra pokes and freedom to eat. in fact if he asks if it is lunch yet and i tell him it's in half an hour (or whatever) he will ask for extra insulin and i have to convince him just to wait. We are looking at putting him on the pump (as soon as we can afford to) and he is looking forward most to the freedom to eat without extra shots:)

[/quote]

its just flexibility with eating instead of having a fixed carb plan. I have read about it here and there being called different things so I just named them all.

Yes Debbi my plate is full and then some. Thankfully the boys are high functioning so it helps and Riley even tho 2 years 10 days younger than then is really responsible and helpful making sure they dont burn the house down if I need a shower. They are a blast tho and my guys are funny guys so its never ending silliness around here. I am sure it will make things much easier thanks.

Thanks C!

Congratulation on getting through to your CW. I'm so glad to hear that you are getting here off NPH.  That is a big step (clap, clap, cheers, screams and whistles from the crowd) it controlling the D rather that the D controlling Riley. 

Have a plan for the switch before you make it and be patient on getting BGs where you want them. It may take a week or so to get the basal adjusted to get the fasting BG on target. Any adjustments you make to the basal may take a few days to show up (recommended time is 72 hours for making changes).  Some MD recommend that the NPH transition use a +1 lantus to -1NPH to make the steps to totally lantus. 

Keep us in the know to see if anyone has made the NPH to Lantus transition. 

I look forward to the next step in MDI for Riley.

Oh Jessica I am so happy for the two of you!  We have been on the flex plan since diagnosis and I can't imagine being on the fixed plan you have been on.  Yes it is more shots but it is also a lot more freedom.  I love that I don't have to tell her she can't have something because she will go over her carb limit.  Of course there are times I have dosed her for what I thought she was going to eat and she doesn't and then I have to force her or find something else to bring her up to what I dosed her for.  Just today after lunch she decided she wanted more of something and I told her fine but I would need to give her another shot, she thought about it and said no I am full it is not worth it. 

On another note, I have twins too!  They are 9 months today, 2 boys, Will and Jack and they are identical.  They are a lot of fun but I agree about the lot of work. 

Thanks everyone. I am so looking forward to this and so is Riley. We are both sick of the control food has over here. I know it still will to a point but its not going to be like this. I have already read a bunch on lantus I am sure we will have to reduce her dosing by 20% from the nph to lantus. She takes around 37-40 units of nph daily.

Lots of twins here. Its funny because they were my first and I always get asked how I did it. You just do when their is two of them. I had a weekends worth of help and then I was on my own. The baby non crawling/walking parts were a piece of cake lol. Tho with the autism showing signs around 18-24 month makes a big difference than how others see their twins at that age. We didnt find out for sure about the autism until they were 10. My mom a nurse saw it when they were 2 but I though she was crazy because I had only seen the most severe forms of it. Plus my mom tends to pick out either weird or really bad things for people to have because she just knows about them lol. I notice lots of nurses in the beginning of their careers do this. So I didnt listen to her but knew something wasnt right with them. Now that we know its easier on me mentally but oi its still hard day to day. The one is jealous oh so badly of Rileys diabetes and he says really mean things because of it to her.

So glad you are getting on a plan that will be easier for you!

i guess we have been on the flexplan just without calling it that:)

we took the morning NPH before our appointment and started the lantus that night instead of our night NPH. it took a few days to adjust to the right amount as they started us off a little lower to be safe. We like it much better.

my husband works with set of twins with autism- i understand that this is not very common. you sure must be busy! :)

thanks thats about what I read about with switching from nph to lantus.

The rate of autism in twins is 12-14 times more likely in identical twins than the rest of the population. with ID twins if one has it the chance of the other is between 63 and 98% so its pretty high and common for both identical twins to have autism. With fraternal twins its 0-10% but lately that number has been on the rise same with just siblings which is at 3% but its being seen more and more often to see another sibling someplace on the spectrum maybe not autism itself. I have not come across many people tho on the net with multiplies both being on the spectrum.