A two parter one yay and one not so much

First the yay the principle looked up stuff regarding the glucagon and said from all her looked up and read I was correct and further more it is not against district policies. So he and at least 2 other people one a teacher whos daughter is t1 are willing to be trained. He wants to ask one more person as well. He said if there was some district policy or if I had been wrong with state and federal laws he would have gone to me to our doctor and learned how to use it as a friend. But it isnt so they will learn to use it and I dont have to talk to the lier school nurse myself he will and we will do a official health plan for her very soon.

The not so much is they have a after school snack sale thing :( with Riley being on a fixed carb plan well she wasnt able to get anything. I am so very very sad she cried so hard. Fortunately one of the ladies who runs it husband is type1 since 11 yo so she asked me what her her carbs were at for her snacks and she is going to try and find something so she can still buy stuff. Its not all bad but it about broke my heart to have to leave and not be able to get anything for her. I would have skipped it but its part of the boys Wednesday routines and not doing it is well just not a option.

Hi Jessica,

Reading this and some of your other posts, I would give your case manager a call and see if she will switch your daughter to Lantus or Levemir and Novolog for meals. You are already doing carb counting as you have to figure out how much to feed her at certain times  - so there is nothing to learn there. You just need to get the basal dose figured out which any CDE should be able to do and then the amounts of Novolog to give for each meal. Yes, it is more shots (at least 4 per day), but you can explain to your daughter that she can then eat when she wants to and what she wants to. She would get the feeling of being much more in control of what she eats than she probably feels now. She (or you) just have to give the right amount of insulin for it. It will also help prevent some of the lows. I think it is at least worth a call to your case manager to see if she can switch you before you are able to go to Denver to see a pediatric endo.

If it helps, this is the manual we got from our clinic - http://www.childrensmn.org/web/diabetes/113562.pdf I love it. It explains everything you need to know about caring for T1D kids. (OK ,well not everything, but it is a good start.)

Also - you do not have to do the sites for the pump only in your belly - I put the ones for my son on his butt. I think it is OK and important to wait on that until your daughter is more comfortable with the idea of the pump (and if you do make it up to a clinic, they can show you samples of all that stuff).

Take care,
Becky

Thanks and I did tell her she could eat more freely that way she still doesnt want more injections. Maybe I am still so horrible at them they are something she would rather avoid. I am going to talk to her more about it and explain to her her long term health benefits from doing it this way too. She is 9 tho so I am not sure she will even care or really get why its so important now. I did look up the Lantus in my insurance book and it is a tier 2 same as the novolog and nph so it wont cost any more.

I love covering the carbs for Cassidy.  Its nice cause thats how we started her so its not like a more shots thing.  She just accepts it.  Oh and Jessica if you want since both our girls were dx almost on the same day and are both 9 maybe they could chat online using instant messenger or another program like that.  Then your daughter could ask Cassie what she thinks about cover the carbs.  Just an idea let me know if you like it :D

that is awesome news!!! I'm so glad to hear the principal and other staff will be trained. But its sad to think you have to go through all of this just to know your child is safe at school. but hey, whatever it takes Right!!! And as far as the school nurse goes, i'd definitely let her know she was WRONG!! I think some of these school staff feel like they are watching over so many kids that they don't have time to concentrate on one certain child or a certain group of children. I'm not taking anything away from any school staffs, BUT they are there for the children and they need to be properly trained for diabetic children, point blank!!! So, i am so happy for you You Go Mom :)

On your second part, i totally feel you. I had the same thing happen to me at Shyla's school over the holidays. It was the last day of school before they breaked for Christmas and they basically had parties ALL DAY LONG! Shyla called me at work crying and upset because she wanted to have all the snacks and treats all the other kids where. Personally, i think the idea of parties is wonderful but the amount of sugar they put into these kids is just crazy!! I could see letting them choose a snack but feeding them candy, fudge, rice krispy squares, cake, ice cream, soda, chips and so on and so on all at one time is just a mind blower.  Even if my daughter didn't have diabetes there is no way in this world i would allow her to eat all of that at one time.... the way we solved it was i told her she could get a little bag and put all her snacks in it. She could choose one and all the others would come home. Well i noticed she chose the one she really wanted and after being able to get the other snacks she was fine because it was like once they where in the bag she forgot about them. She brought home all the other snacks and in that bag they sat for 2 more days (by then, i just threw them away) I think what hurts them the most is not so much being able to eat the snack, but being told they can't be apart of the event.....but trust me i feel your heart break because we just want them to be happy......

[quote user="Jessica "]

Thanks and I did tell her she could eat more freely that way she still doesnt want more injections. Maybe I am still so horrible at them they are something she would rather avoid. I am going to talk to her more about it and explain to her her long term health benefits from doing it this way too. She is 9 tho so I am not sure she will even care or really get why its so important now. I did look up the Lantus in my insurance book and it is a tier 2 same as the novolog and nph so it wont cost any more.

[/quote]

Even if she wants to keep everything the same, there should be a way that she can eat the extras when she wants to.  It would still mean an extra shot, but not everyday, and then, at least she'd have the choice.  I remember when I was in junior high the cheerleaders were having a party at Chuckie Cheese at the end of the season.  My doctor told me how much regular (there was no humalog at that time) to take to cover the planned extra meal and I did it.  I didn't do it all the time (in fact that is the only instance I can remember) but it is possible.  I was on NPH only at that time.

[quote user="Jessica "]

The not so much is they have a after school snack sale thing :( with Riley being on a fixed carb plan well she wasnt able to get anything. I am so very very sad she cried so hard. Fortunately one of the ladies who runs it husband is type1 since 11 yo so she asked me what her her carbs were at for her snacks and she is going to try and find something so she can still buy stuff. Its not all bad but it about broke my heart to have to leave and not be able to get anything for her. I would have skipped it but its part of the boys Wednesday routines and not doing it is well just not a option.

[/quote]

that happenes to me at school with bake sales-- i cry too so my mom and i compromised that i buy something then and bring it home for later

Thanks ladies, I talked to her again about it and this time she is all for it. She would rather have more freedoms with her food amounts than this way. I also explained the long term health reasons for it. At first she started to cry but her blood sugars are at 396. She heard me out tho and she calmed right down. I am going to bring it up to our case worker if she doesnt ok it then I am going to dump her and call our primary I am pretty sure he will go along with it. Until I can get her to a endo.