Why me?

Why am not like other people. People my age get fat and lazy then comes type 2. Me, no I am not  very overweight , heck I can sit on the floor crossed legged for hours on the computer (yes my computer is on the floor) and still get up. The Dr.s tell me for my age I am doing really well. Then why after so much living am I now a type 1 diabetic.  Not to start the t 1 & 2 wars again, but. I think I can give both sides. My Mom, uncle(both sides), brother-in-law and x-in-law are type 2. Yes I would trade places anytime with a type 2. The people I know with t2 could and can control it with (you know LOL) diet and exercise, wow that would be so cool. But no my body which has been very good to me, now it's a little too good. I watch people eat all kinds of stuff I wish I could eat without having to inject insulin. I think that having been dx'ed in ICU was quite a call that life can bring all kinds of surprises LOL I guess I just feeling a little alone, not saying the people here aren't great because they are it's just having been dx'ed at 52 I am in a very small group of a small group. One last words about type 1 and 2, if you had a choice, who would choose the bad one!!!!!! ROFLMAO Don't mean to rant, I've been cussing out my syringes lately because I can't even eat without thinking about IT. Bugs the heck out of me.

Keith,my husband is 55 years old is a very hard worker,puts in long hours -works everyday 6 days a week-wears a 34 in size Jeans.Takes insulin shots for many years now.Has to stuggle with highs and lows.I know of 2 other type 2,s in town.One has lost her eyesight and had a stoke.The other one lost his legs and is in a wheelchair.These 2 people could out work anyone -Lazy-how dare you meet their families and call them lazy.People out here on Juvenation including my daughter have loved ones alive and dead with type 2 diabetes and it hurts me deeply to hear remarks like that !!!!

i don't think keith was trying to insult anyone. i think he was simply trying to say his diagnosis is not what he or anyone typically expected.

[quote user="meme"]

Keith,my husband is 55 years old is a very hard worker,puts in long hours -works everyday 6 days a week-wears a 34 in size Jeans.Takes insulin shots for many years now.Has to stuggle with highs and lows.I know of 2 other type 2,s in town.One has lost her eyesight and had a stoke.The other one lost his legs and is in a wheelchair.These 2 people could out work anyone -Lazy-how dare you meet their families and call them lazy.People out here on Juvenation including my daughter have loved ones alive and dead with type 2 diabetes and it hurts me deeply to hear remarks like that !!!!

[/quote]

I would never call anyone lazy!!!!!!!!! All I was saying if I (I) had a choice it wouldn't be type 1. I was dx'ed at age 52 a whole 1 1/2 years ago and the people I see mostly have problems by not following what's good for them. I don't have a choice and without insulin I wouldn't last a month. Most of the people I know type 2 aren't lazy at all, they just choose not take care of themselves. My Uncle thinks it normal to have his toenails fall off and is about to lose his toes because he makes that choice. I wish for a choice, I don't have one, it's insulin or die no middle ground or choices!!!

[quote user="C"]

i don't think keith was trying to insult anyone. i think he was simply trying to say his diagnosis is not what he or anyone typically expected.

[/quote]

Thank You C

[quote user="Keith221"]

I would never call anyone lazy!!!!!!!!! All I was saying if I (I) had a choice it wouldn't be type 1. I was dx'ed at age 52 a whole 1 1/2 years ago and the people I see mostly have problems by not following what's good for them. I don't have a choice and without insulin I wouldn't last a month. Most of the people I know type 2 aren't lazy at all, they just choose not take care of themselves. My Uncle thinks it normal to have his toenails fall off and is about to lose his toes because he makes that choice. I wish for a choice, I don't have one, it's insulin or die no middle ground or choices!!!

[/quote]

i respect that, keith. i can understand what you are saying. it seems as though t2s have it easier. coming from experience working in various diabetes clinics, t2s don't necessarily have it easier. they face the same ups and downs and complications we have. they often also experience the same emotional rollercoasters and even denial. for them, they have the ability to ignore it a little longer, but they will still have complications (as you have pointed out). you are entitled to be angry and even a little jealous at them for their seemingly easier situation. just remember, no one has it easy :o)

Yes Yes I was just trying to say if you had a choice, I (I) don't think anybody would choose the bad one LOL. Diabetes is not easy for anyone it SUCKS. It does seem easier (lack of a better word) to be able to go I will eat this and pay later. I don't know about anyone else if I forget my insulin my bs goes sky high now and doesn't come down till I take care of it. It's still hard deal with at times knowing that a banana can kill. ROFLMAO

Keith,I like you and appeciate what you just said.This is something I seem to keep coning across here.I  just can't wrap my brain around it.When my daughter first got type1,I never felt any anger toward type 2s.I know retired school teachers etc,with type2.Wonderful precious people that now have  diabetes.If anything I feel more compassion towards them like I would for anyone with a desease.How sad to get something like this only to have hurtful remarks such as fat and lazy.Breaks my heart,I am not kidding.I know we are seeing more type2 and there is a weight issue many times but not always.They also say children are now becoming type2's.I want no part of ever hurting a child that is dealing with weight problems and becomes type2.Can you imagine how bad that kid already feels.I think everyone needs to do everything they can to do- the best they can to be healthy and if they fall-reach down and pick them up ...It could be me Keith,I try to look the other way when things are said about type2s..but I can't always ....Don't defriend me -I like you too much and you make me laugh--I missed almost everthing you said because I became like a deer caught in the headlights....C-your wonderful-what can I say :) Good night-I am out of here :)

[quote user="meme"].If anything I feel more compassion towards them like I would for anyone with a desease.How sad to get something like this only to have hurtful remarks such as fat and lazy[/quote]

I can kind of see why some type ones dislike type twos though...not that that's how I think, but I can understand the mentality....

If I defriend you I wouldn't be a friend would I. The fat and lazy was mostly me. Only by genetics have I made it so far, I didn't take care of myself before. I have meet young people with type 2 I only encourage them. I was always different and know how it feels (goofy and geeky)  name calling doesn't do anybody any good!!!!!! Maybe It's because after being in ICU and learning that if not for modern medicine I wouldn't be here. To see people taking for granted their health, sorry I almost lost mine and I'll never take health for granted. And I hope people read this and understand.  

[quote user="Maria Rose"]

[quote user="meme"].If anything I feel more compassion towards them like I would for anyone with a desease.How sad to get something like this only to have hurtful remarks such as fat and lazy[/quote]

I can kind of see why some type ones dislike type twos though...not that that's how I think, but I can understand the mentality....

[/quote]

I don't dislike them at all. I am sure if it wasn't for type 1 I was heading toward type 2. Again the fat and lazy was me and me only!!!!!

I feel more frustrated because T2's get so much media attention and more people seem to  have more knowledge about T2's.  Not long ago Dr. Oz ran a segement on how Diabeties can be cured and or reversed.  He mentioned nothing about T1's and how we are different.  Once again we are all grouped in the same pot.

I have also wondered if T1's had all the media, sponsors, support like breast cancer does ==how much further would we be both in medical advancements and general knowledge.  I started thinking about this as I saw a 18 wheeler,moving company,  all decked out in pink supporting breast cancer research.  I just wish this disease, T1, had as much support.

Kim

*embarrassing moment alert*

When I was diagnosed, I was mortified that it was going to be t2. I have been overweight almost my whole life, and I was only 18, and I was terrified that it would be t2 because that would mean that I could have prevented it! My mom came in to the hospital room, and she was saying "hopefully you'll be able to control it with diet and exercise" and I was thinking "please don't let this be my fault!" I was SO relieved when the Dr told me it was t1.

I imagine it's different, being diagnosed at 52 instead of at 18, but I knew the difference, and I wanted to be t1.  

I also think that there is less pressure as t1. As t2, many people see going on insulin as failure, which leads them to chronic high BS to avoid going on insulin, which (as we all know) leads to complications. With t1, you're given insulin right out of the starting gate, and then you have to figure out how to use it, but there isn't this period of time where you could be keeping your BS in check, if your dr would only get over himself and prescribe insulin. 

[quote user="kimi"]

I feel more frustrated because T2's get so much media attention and more people seem to  have more knowledge about T2's.  Not long ago Dr. Oz ran a segement on how Diabeties can be cured and or reversed.  He mentioned nothing about T1's and how we are different.  Once again we are all grouped in the same pot.

I have also wondered if T1's had all the media, sponsors, support like *** cancer does ==how much further would we be both in medical advancements and general knowledge.  I started thinking about this as I saw a 18 wheeler,moving company,  all decked out in pink supporting *** cancer research.  I just wish this disease, T1, had as much support.

Kim

[/quote]

Yes, being that small group, what is it like 10% of diabetics. We are often forgotten or unknown. Heck, I am even in a smaller group within type 1. I was dx'ed at age 52. Not many of us.LOL

i don't feel frustrated at the media attention t2s get. afterall, they outnumber us by 90-95%. how can i expect such a small number to be brought to the surface all the time?

on the other hand, we have an amazing organization (JDRF) forcing t1 into the spotlight over and over again. i appreciate what they do.

i have no animosity towards t2s. i feel for their plight because, in my opinion, diabetes is diabetes and sucks balls regardless of how/when/why it's diagnosed.

[quote user="ajax"]

*embarrassing moment alert*

When I was diagnosed, I was mortified that it was going to be t2. I have been overweight almost my whole life, and I was only 18, and I was terrified that it would be t2 because that would mean that I could have prevented it! My mom came in to the hospital room, and she was saying "hopefully you'll be able to control it with diet and exercise" and I was thinking "please don't let this be my fault!" I was SO relieved when the Dr told me it was t1.

I imagine it's different, being diagnosed at 52 instead of at 18, but I knew the difference, and I wanted to be t1.  

I also think that there is less pressure as t1. As t2, many people see going on insulin as failure, which leads them to chronic high BS to avoid going on insulin, which (as we all know) leads to complications. With t1, you're given insulin right out of the starting gate, and then you have to figure out how to use it, but there isn't this period of time where you could be keeping your BS in check, if your dr would only get over himself and prescribe insulin. 

[/quote]

To be truthful it was a good thing being dx'ed. The way I was living before would have made for a shorter life. LOL

haha animosity was just my vocabulary word!!

[quote user="Keith221"]

To be truthful it was a good thing being dx'ed. The way I was living before would have made for a shorter life. LOL

[/quote]

It was a good thing for me, too - if for nothing else because i had felt so frakken sick for the last three months!

ajax,

i agree that while a type 2 can sometimes manage their diabetes with diet and exercise, they can also have uncontrolled diabetes much longer, which means they are more likely to have complications. i have a friend who is a dialysis nurse and most of her patients are type 2. none are type 1. i have a type 2 aquaintance who last month was worried because her doc was thinking of putting her on insulin. when i asked what her last A1C was and she said 11, i told her if it was me i would be asking to go on insulin because insulin works. better to be on insulin now and avoid complications later...

keith,

while it is not common to get type 1 at your age, i would say you were pretty lucky to avoid it being triggered as long as you did. since they say you are predisposed to getting type 1 then something triggers it (as i understand it), you could have had something trigger it when you were 4 like my son or 14 like my husband, which would have meant dealing with it a lot longer. though i am sure it must have been really shocking and difficult to accept (as this diagnosis is for anyone at any age). like you say, if a person is getting older, not taking care of themselves and have other risk factors for type 2 it might not be extremely shocking to get diagnosed with type 2, but type 1 seems to always just strike out of nowhere...

You got it zekesmom. The Dr. think is was caused by a virus and my bodies reaction. The funny part is no one in my family (hundreds) has type1, just lucky me.LOL