Tslim or medtronics

I have been with medtronocs for almost 10 years now. Currently using 670g. I am tired of the cgm failing ready to switch. Before I switch I would like to get some opinions from people who have used both and why you chose the one your using.

I used Medtronic pumps fro 2001-2018. Including trying out their sub-standard sensors on my own dime. From 2018 to early 2020 I ran DIY Loop using an old Medtronic, and Dexcom G6 sensors, again all on my cash. DEXCOM is good! I considered the $$ spent on Dexcom a good investment in my health. Starting April 2020 I moved to Tandem/Dexcom. My results are even better than with DIY Loop, and with less effort on my part. I totally recommend Tandem/Dexcom. You will have to retest all your settings to get the most out of it. If you want to get a broader scope of input, search Facebook for Tandem, CIQ, etc.,and join a couple of those groups. Good luck with your decision!

While you’re waiting for more responses to your specific post you might want to check out previous forum discussions on the topic. I myself was using an older model Minimed (508?) when I made the change so I never used the loop technology now available. Two things I have noticed in relative comments about the two: many people preferred Minimed’s load process (I believe they say it is quicker and wastes less insulin) and the fact that Minimed uses batteries rather than charging. I switched about 10 years ago so have long gotten used to both.

Thank you @mikefarley for your experience. Most of what I read seams to be some think this should be hassle free. I am looking at more then just a pump that works. I want a company other then Medtronic. I absolutely hate that company.

Thank you @wadawabbit I have done the research on there and that is my least of my worries. I am not worried about how long it takes to load or change the sight. What ever it is is better and less time then taking daily injections. I want to be done with Medtronic completely done and never go back. When a company points the blame instead of fixing there issues or taking responsibilty for there product time to look at there integrity. Sorry to say I would trust a stranger with my life before them. I am looking at more of how the product responds to type 1. More of how the algorithm is working.

I read over whelming reviews that people just hate Medtronic. I have so many complications at this point it is about which pump will give me the longest life possible. The closed loop has changed my type 1 control.

@lisandustin, I totally hear you. Dissatisfaction with Medtronic and their “who cares about the clients’ needs” business model was a main driver for me. In my experience, Tandem is much more focused on T1D users’ needs and wants. One big want is pump control from mobile app, and that has slipped some during the COVID shutdown. I have been very happy with Tandem training, rep, and technical support. Some people are less enthusiastic, it probably depends partly on where you live. I live in central Ohio. During my virtual training session, I mentioned that I was concerned about exercise-related specifics. A few days later, the regional manager, a cyclist/hiker/etc., called me to discuss his experiences on Tandem and techniques he was using to improve control during exercise. So far, I’m very happy with Tandem. It can get a little confusing using two different companies, but Tandem has been working pretty much as a one-stop shop for pump and Dexcom issues. Some technical issues with Dexcom will still require a call to them, but Tandem handles sensor replacements, etc.

:+1:t4:. I can’t give a comparison of the devices but I’ve always been happy with Dexcom CGM - I’ve found it very accurate. There have been a few times (a very very few times) when I calibrated my G5 and got the exact same reading as my fingerstick! Readings between fingersticks and my Dexcom have been very close - within the main of error.
I’ll let you read for yourself in the forums; but from what I’ve noticed, large differences between a Dexcom reading and a fingerstick are often due to compression lows, which you’re probably familiar with (and of course there are forum discussions on those as well). As @mikefarley said you should check your settings. Although you’re an experienced pumper I would suggest starting on Tandem without BIQ or CIQ so you can get good background programming in place. I did not do a basal check (and others) before starting on CIQ, so it took longer than it might otherwise have for it to work as it’s designed to.
I’m sorry to hear your frustration. Do you have a lot of time on your Medtronic warranty, or will you be able to switch soon (if you so decide)?

My daughter used Medtronic for many years and we were happy with the pump and company. We changed over to Tandem IQ so that the Dexcom could be integrated with the pump. I’m so glad we did, her sugars and A1C are so much better.

When I was due to replace my Medtronic 580, I wanted to look at Tandem also. After about 3 months the Tandem Rep. finally got in touch with me. Because I had been involved in the recycling business for over 20 years, I asked the Rep what kind of carbon footprint Tandem had. Even though they have a decent working pump, onthe environmental side, They are many times worse than Medtronic. For the little that I have gained, I am not sure that I would do it again. Why do you have to buy a syringe and needle for every reservoir that you use. I still use the same syringe as a backup that I received when I was diagnosed 63 years ago. And it works fine with NO waste.

That reminds me of another thing we like better about the Omnipod versus Tandem: less waste. Not like using the same syringe for 63 years (I presume you’re sterilizing it somehow!), but definitely less waste than Tandem generates!

From what I know omnipod does not have the same tech. I need the algorithm that comes with tandem and Medtronic. I have tried both with and without the algorithm, without I am back to testing BG all the time and adding bolus constantly.

You’re right — Omnipod’s integration with Dexcom is still in the works. They’re now saying it’ll be out by June, but (as my mother always says) everything takes longer than you think it will. And it’s been delayed before, so we’re not holding our breath.

We need it, too, but unfortunately Tandem doesn’t work for us, so we’re “making do” with Omnipod and Dexcom. Cry us a river, right, long-time members? We still have it pretty good, all things considered!

I used Medtronics for about 15 years. I finally got tired of waking up all through the night with their “so called” closed loop system. I found myself testing all the time. Even through the night. What’s the use of having a cgm if you have to test all the time? I finally realized that I was wasting my money on the system. I switched to Tslim with dexcom G6. I’m loving it. Been using that closed loop system for over half a year now. If you want my opinion??? Switch and don’t look back.

Like others here, I also was with Medtronic for years but changed to the Tslim/Dexcom about a year ago. Now my A1C’s are in the “5’s”!! Tandem and Dexcom are both far smaller than Medtronic and I think their customer service is far more professional. My adult daughter just changed to the Tslim from the Medtronic 670 and fully agrees she now has a far superior device.

I am 64 and T1D since Feb. 1971.

Have had many years of MultiDoseInjection. That worked reasonably well. But exercise (cycling, spin class etc.) always meant EAT. Have had Medtronics first CGM, followed by Dexcom sensors (much better and lasted longer). Later Animas (great while it lasted). Tried 670G for a while. But went to Tandem/Dexcom ASAP and it is great, and even better with CIQ.

I can still get hypoglycemia during vigorous sustained cycling but the tools are better than ever (Exercise Mode, Sleep mode, and changing personal profile to Endurance (my label) during vigorous 50 miles bike rides.

I am also a retired MD but not endocrinologist.

Will not return to Medtronics in future unless sensor quality improves markedly. Product is inferior. They should have bought out Dexcom, if and when they could. Whatever sensor R and D they have done is inferior.

I had 4 generations of Minimed pumps - my last one being the 508 - before switching to Tslim not quite 10 years ago and not long after it first came out. At the time both were “simple pumps” without loop technology, and frankly what drew me to TSLIM was its slim, sleek profile and more modern look. I was wearing my pump on my waistband one day when I saw a young lady in a parking lot doing likewise. As she passed I exclaimed “Wear your pump with pride!” and she saw mine as she looked around. Fellow pumpers, we checked out each other’s equipment (wait - did that sound odd😉?) - me observing how bulky hers looked in comparison to mine as she and her friend appeared to marvel over the look of mine.
Just sharing a story - and no judgment against those who pocket their pumps.

I switched from the medtronic 670g to tslim x2 in October last year. I used the 670 for 3 years and it helped me get to upper 6s with my a1c the tandem algorithm was good for my lowest ever a1c of 6.1. So far I am very happy with Tandem CIQ . Is it perfect, no. Is it the best algorithm on the market, in my opinion yes by a pretty big gap. The dexcom accuracy is a large part of the Tandem success in my opinion. I regularly fin only 1 or 2 pts difference between finger stick and sensor values. My medtronic was regularly 25-30 points different and I have always slept on my back to avoid compression issues. My only true complaint is that I can’t fill a new tubing set with less than 80 units in reservoir. I have cut my tubing 2x since I switched and had to go home to change reservoir when I had plenty of insulin to change tubing and make it through shift if the 80 unit limit was not in place.

I switched from the 670g closed loop to the Tandem Dexcom Control IQ and have liked the new system quite a bit. I was on 2 or 3 Medtronic pumps prior to the 670g and I think they do make a quality product. My biggest complaint about the 670g was having to calibrate and being kicked out of Auto Mode if my blood sugar got too high or low. That does not happen with the Tandem/Dexcom system. My biggest complaints with Tandem/Dexcom are as follows:

1. Having my sugar information so readily available often makes me over correct for highs or lows as the correction takes a while. (This was also an issue on the Medtronic, but seeing the information on my phone is a more constant reminder)

2. I am one of the many people who has a severe reaction the the adhesive to the Dexcom. This is a much bigger issue than it should be and there are ways around it, but it is still an inconvenience.

3. I find wearing the T-slim to be more annoying the the 670g. Because of the Bluetooth signal, the pump needs to be facing outward which necessitates wearing it on your belt/waist of your pants. This is a personal preference obviously, but I could place my 670g screen down in my pocket, but I can’t do that with my Tslim with lout sacrificing functionality.

Again overall I prefer the Tandem/Dexcom combination, but the system is not without its flaws.

I want to thank all for your opinions. I have decided to switch to tandem. I did a lot of book research before coming to this forum. I have also been with Medtronic for almost 10 years now. I have only have the 670g and the 640 before. The 640 had less problems with the algorithm sending me into test BG nightmare. The customer service sucks they read off a screen don’t answer the question your asking. Then point the finger at you when it is obvious it in there product. Everyone has the same problem since they came out with the product and has followed to there new products. It seams as if they care more about there stock holders then fixing the problem for the ones using there product. I will speak extreme bad I’ll against Medtronic to everyone and anyone who will listen. I will only tell people to use Medtronic as a last resort before taking shots again. I will say it has controlled my BG way better then I ever have in my 26 years with type 1. They need to fix there cgm before they come out with a new product I believe this pump would work so much better with a working cgm. After bringing this to there attention then getting I don’t care attitude I told them I will a hip this pump back to them in pieces and I will take my business else where. I have got to the point I just tell the first person I don’t want to talk to you I can read the same thing your telling me I want to talk to someone who cares. Give me a supervisor or a manager. I also used to call in every time my cgm messed up thinking they were going to do something with all the questions they ask but nope nothing has changed still the same bs. I am just extremely upset with Medtronic and it is because I know you parents out there have it stressful enough to worry about your little type 1 every second of the day, worrying if your doing enough to keep them alive in there blood sugar going to drop while they are sleeping. Then you have to fight with the company that is supposed to make it easier when really it just adds to your stress. Don’t worry I make sure to tell them that it is sad you parents have enough to handle then have to call in and deal with your bs and then you try to blame them. This is just a thank you and a rant about how upset I am with Medtronic