Time to switch pumps from Medtronic 530 to?

I have been on a Medtronic 530 for 3+ years and use the cgm as well, now Medtronic has said that the warranty will come to an end in early December and I need to choose a new pump. My endo has recommended the closed loop system from Medtronic but I was wondering if any one else has a different recommendation. I have had issues with the cgm especially when it gets into a low reading and then seems to get stuck and keeps trying to turn off the insulin. I usually have to shut the cgm off and restart it a few moments later to get the more accurate readings. I know that some people have had a really long learning curve with the 630 so can you all let me know what your favorites have been.
Thanks

Hi!

I’ve been on the close loop system for about a year now and absolutely love it. The CGM is 1000Xs better than the 630g. The auto-mode also have made my A1C drop from 9 to 7.1 over the past year. Highly recommend.

Are you referring to the Medtronic close loop system or a different one? I’ve also heard about the TSlim system from Tandem.

I am using the Medtronic 630, but I am not using the sensors. I did not choose to use the 670 because I have heard so many users saying the accuracy is poor. Some have stopped Medtronic pumps and are now using the Tandem pumps. The next time I change pumps, I will use the Tandem pump. It is integrated with the Dexcom CGM. I am currently using the Dexcom G5 CGM with a separate receiver. The accuracy is very good with Dexcom.

Hi @loisgd!

My first pumps were Minimeds, then Tandem came out with the T-Slim,. At the time both Minimed and T-Slim were pretty much equal with regard to “bells and whistles,” but the T-Slim was less bulky and had a fresher look so I made the switch and that is what I am using now. Later I started using a CGM. My doctor at the time recommended Dexcom because it was reported to be more accurate than Minimed’s, so I’ve used a Dexcom ever since.

My pump warranty runs out in just a few weeks so like you I have been doing some research. I was considering switching back to Minimed because of their closed loop system; but while I’ve heard Minimed’s CGM technology is much improved I still wonder if it will be as accurate as my tested and proven Dexcom.

I think the CGM has been the main driver in my personal decision. Dexcom’s newer CGMs will link with the T-Slim; so once Tandem told me their system is being updated to have a similar closed loop system I decided to stay with them. They wouldn’t say just when that would be but it sounds like it won’t be too far down the road and for me I think it’s worth waiting for.

I had thought about the Omnipod once upon a time, but I was concerned that I might leave the remote control at home and would find myself up the creek without a paddle and with no way to control the bug-like device I was wearing. Even when I had a Minimed with a remote control I liked knowing I could still use my pump if I left the RC at home.

Best wishes with your search!

I’ll have to change pumps next December, Unfortunately have an Animas Vibe and they closed down a while ago, so I’ve been researching too. I’m in a T1D group here that meets monthly in a restaurant. The MiniMed 670 users there say that MiniMed 670 CGM system has a bad flaw that reads lower bg than is actually there when in the lower ranges. Seems that MiniMed is too worried about “protecting” users from hypos, which doesn’t make sense in an automatic system that is supposed to keep you in a good range. They tell me pretty much across the board that Dexcom is reliable, and just needs to do the next upgrade.

The new tSlim will work directly with a Dexcom in pretty much the same way very soon. Main thing there is that tSlims will update automatically online so you don’t need to wait for the next development, it will arrive as soon as available on the same hardware. When Tandem come out with the new software that will lessen the insulin doses automatically as you START to go low, so hypos will be reduced or, hopefully, elimn ated as a result.

Then too, I just saw an announcement that the Senseonics implanted sensor has been approved by the FDA and should be available very soon. The initial units will last for 90 days, and will likely go to 180 days soon. This . Main thing about that is that the start up time when they are learning how to be accurate is ONCE in 90 (180 later) days, lasting 12 hours (IIRC), as opposed to 12 to 24 hours wasted in 7 to 10 days for existing systems. Sounds like a lot better approach, and sensors can be implanted in the endos office when you go quarterly.

Good Morning,
I’ve used a Medtronic pump for 20+ years and the CGM system was what finally got me to change. Their sensors where terrible. I was still testing my blood 8-9 times a day to determine if the sensor was correct and the sensor lasted all of 3 days. I complained to Medtronic and was told I had scar tissue, that’s why the sensor only lasted 3 days. This January I switched to the Omnipod pump with Dexcom sensors. It is so much better than Medtronic, plus the service on both is excellent in comparison. I only have to test my blood twice a day with the Dexcom sensors and the Omnipod system is great.