The Honeymoon

Curious to hear different experiences with this phase. Interested to know about how long (obviously differs) others were in this phase. What the signs were as full dependence happened and how quickly this transition happens. I’m still on a max dose of Metformin along with my basal and rapid and wondering if all this Metformin is necessary or just a “good to have” that’s making me really sick trying to prevent he inevitable. All experiences are appreciated. Thanks, gang :slight_smile:

even being full on type 1, you could still require Metformin.
See type 2 as being insulin resistant, meaning your body has difficulty using the insulin available (whether coming from your pancreas or not)
and where type 1 is where your body attacks the beta cells that makes the insulin, hence no more insulin.

Being a woman, with my menstrual cycle, there are times where I am HIGHLY insulin resistant, and there are other parts of my cycle, where I just blink and my numbers are back to normal.
because of the insulin resistance, even when my honeymoon phase will be completely over, I will still stay on Metformin to help me better use the insulin I inject.

My honeymoon phase is almost over, I can tell you exactly when my body “turned” against me. I woke up after being sick where it was like someone switched the dial-in radio station on my body. I went from Clear no static music to pure static. it was almost 2 years ago. And only now that im finally on insulin, do I feel like I dialed back in at the right station. Its really night and day.

I used to see a huge shift when I drank diet soda. (not knowing I was type 1) I would drink it when my sugar was too high. It would drive my numbers way down (now, I understand I was forcing my pancreas to push out more insulin)
now, when I drink my diet soda, my numbers are barely changing and the endo confirmed it on my last visit. Im almost completely out.
Truth being told, Im just happy after two years to finally have been diagnosed properly

hope this helps!

@Emet Thank you for sharing! Maybe I will just ask the endo to lower the dose a bit. I guess I’m just looking for there to be some balance between the benefits of the medicine and the side effects. Appreciate your views on it! Thanks, again.

Hi Kim @Cutabove1, I will not try to “second guess” your medical doctors - I’m not a medical doctor. But, sad to say, if you actually have autoimmune diabetes, now a-days called TypeOne, you have it and there isn’t YET any way to get out of it. I’ve been trying to get rid of this thing for sixty-something years. Currently Metformin, which was “discovered” the same year as insulin, is being used for successful treatment of SOME conditions associated with long-term TypeOne.

I don’t recall experiencing a “honeymoon period” after I was diagnosed in the 1950’s although I may, in retrospect, have had that before my actual diagnosis; as a teen I was in denial for months before my diagnosis. That said, in recent years I have documented “honeymoon periods” that I’ve gone through.

A thought for you, stay flexible and alert to what your body is telling you [and listen to a knowledgeable doctor who you trust, and know that you will not always be on the same insulins or dose size. Over the years, my daily insulin usage has ranged from close to 100 units to less than 15 units - nothing is set in stone and each of us is different.

1 Like

@Dennis Comforting and wise. Thank you, Dennis!

Hey Kim,
I think “honeymoon” can be very different in each case. When I was first diagnosed about eight years ago, I was told I had T2, even though I had antibodies. I managed on oral medication for years (Metformin, Actos, maybe others). Slowly, though, the disease progressed and I ultimately decided to start Insulin four years ago because it gave me more flexibility.
In truth, my real diagnosis is LADA (sometimes called T1.5). Ultimately, it doesn’t matter because I no longer produce my own insulin. The T2 diagnosis had given me hope that I would be able to control it with diet, exercise and maybe oral meds. In the end I had to face the reality. False hope wasn’t doing me any good.
I quit taking any oral meds because I didn’t see the point.
I would echo the others here and suggest that you discuss with your Endocrinologist your specific meds, the purpose and the dose. In my experience, they will sometimes keep you on meds that are really serving no purpose just because it isn’t questioned. Wishing you the best.
I’m assuming you still haven’t watched “Steel Magnolias” on your movie night? Haha. No, I didn’t forget.

@Steve You’re memory is a steel trap :wink: Nope, not yet. I’m saving it for one of those days that I’m in the dog house—the whole sympathy, life is fleeting, don’t-sweat-the-small-stuff effects of that movie should get me out of hot water lol

Your story is much like mine only mine is on a more recent and shorter timeline. I was happy to take the Metformin when the numbers were good and it looked like I was about to beat Type 2…until 3 days later when they told me it was type 1. I see people’s point when it comes to it help with the insulin sensitivity but I struggle with taking 2000mg a day. The insulin helps me feel so good and like myself again, until the next dose of Metformin. Like you and Dennis said, best route is to talk with the endo. Hope you’re well.

I’ve been in my honeymoon period for a year now, having only been on the short acting insulin for a few months. From what my doctors can gather mine appears to be slow progressing as my numbers have been slowly changing as the months go on and i’m extremely sensitive to insulin.
From what I can gather this is quite unusual so if anyone else has had a similar experience Let me know!
And I had no idea that metamorphin was used in type 1 treatment as well, it’s nice to know there’s other people with what isn’t typically ‘textbook’ type 1!

1 Like

Hello Hollie. Google LADA. It’s basically sloooowly progressing T1. I hadn’t heard about it, nor did my endo mention it. I finally did my own search when things just weren’t making sense. I am not on much insulin (as far as pure numbers go, unless I eat high carb). It just seemed to explain better what was going on with ME. All the best.

I’ve been in Honeymoon for almost two years. I just take 4 units of long-acting Toujeo a day and eat a low-carb gluten-free diet. My A1cs are in the 5s. I reserved this book from the library: https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Bernsteins-Diabetes-Solution-Achieving/dp/0316182699/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1537958852&sr=8-1&keywords=dr+berenstein. This doctor believes you can stay in honeymoon indefinitely if you keep your blood sugars in the normal range. I’m not perfect. I go over 130-140 usually once a day. But so far, so good! I wish you continued success!

@Willabe hi Willa, to be perfectly clear, for Type 1 diabetes, eventually (and no matter what diet you are on), all insulin production stops and then there will be full dependence on synthetic insulin for which there is no choice but to replace the lost insulin production. you can minimize the amount of insulin you need with low carb diets and exercise but you cannot live without this important hormone. I truly hope your honeymoon indeed lasts forever, but for the vast majority of people with autoimmune Type 1 diabetes, it does not.

If still in the honeymoon with a c-peptide over .5 and with autoantibodies, why not try the Poseidon protocol or the D active? Ideally in addition to insulin and a low glycemic index.

@SoniaChritton I’m not familiar with either but I’m off to do some research! Thanks so much for the response. New information is always exciting.

The Poseidon study is being run in Italy and at the DRI in Miami. They are using the high dose EPA/DHA blend in the www.zonediet.com site along with higher dose Vit D, and the other study is for people NOT YET diagnosed and is at www.grassrootshealth.net/t1d

Great anecdotal and preliminary results with each – and they are safe, efficacious and affordable!

Best, Sonia