Honeymooning

I'm currently off insulin because of my honeymoon period.  I still test at least three times a day, but my numbers are all 60-90. It's nice to be able to eat whatever/whenever again and not worry about diabetes for a little bit, but I was just wondering if this is common to completely stop taking insulin?  I got diagnosed about 2 months ago.  My endo said it will probably last several weeks...

How long has other people's honeymoon periods lasted? Did you ever completely go off insulin? 

I am definitely grateful for how I get to eat and act in this time and will enjoy every second of it before it's gone forever...

I have read on other sites that many people can go off all together for a little while. We were told that in the hospital as well. It seemed like Riley was going through it for a little while her insulin doses were dropping and dropping now it seems like its going back up. So I am not sure if she was starting to or not or if she just got use to it and is now balancing out or what.

I am happy for you to have this time I hope it lasts a while for you.

My daughter has had d now for a year.  She has had a pretty good honeymoon.  She has always taken her long acting insulin, Lantus.  However, there are many times she skips her short acting, Novolog, due to low numbers.  Even at a year she takes very little insulin.  Exercise also helps.  I have read the honeymoon can last as long as two years.

Kim

[quote user="kimi"]

I have read the honeymoon can last as long as two years.

Kim

[/quote]

Yeah, I have heard this also, and I know nobody can tell me exactly how long it will last, but I do wish I could know somehow... I had never really heard of anyone going off insulin completely though.

Not sure how long my honeymoon lasted, still kicks in once in a while. I was dx'ed aug./08 at 52. Example:This last Thanksgiving, I didn't have to use any novolog kept running low!! It was so WONDERFUL!!!!!! I ate everything including the high carb, stuff without one stab. Yes the pies were great, tasted so good.

I had a long slow honeymoon that lasted close to 8 months.  It didn't start until 2 months after diagnosis.  Oh boy did I think I had diabetes figured out with an a1c of 5.5% and zero urine sugar for months and months!  You can probably guess that it was a long time ago.

our son honeymooned for a good 6 months or so. a few weeks after starting insulin we had to decrease, then we were at stable insulin levels and very stable numbers for a good 6 months, then he seemed to start coming out of it, but kind of intermittently. so for the last 5 months we have seen a lot of rollercoastering.

[quote user="Joe"]

I had a long slow honeymoon that lasted close to 8 months.  It didn't start until 2 months after diagnosis. 

[/quote]

I hope I get at least 8 months!

Well, this honeymoon thing is really perplexed me for a long time.  I was diagnosed on May 29, 2008 and started insulin.  At first I needed insulin for everything.  Now, almost 2 years later I only need lantus not novolog.  But I am going to enjoy it while it lasts!!

mine lasted about 2 weeks and i was off insulin

my honeymoon lasted about two or three months and i didnt completely go off of insulin but i was on a smal amount of insulin and for a while all they did was lower my dosage.. you're lucky! :)

I think one of the influences on honeymoon phase is the type of onset.  Our son's was acute...uncontrolled vomiting, a trip to the ER, BS over 500, and two days in the hospital.  I suspect earlier dx will have a longer, more stable honeymoon phase, with lower insulin requirements.  A more acute onset will require a full-fledged insulin program right off (just my own personal theory...).  I'm pretty sure William exited honeymoon during a high-stress week (vacation/excitement/physical exhertion), and we've had to be more diligent with his testing and adjusting doses since then.

If I've learned anything in the past eight months, it's that T1 care is and blending of art and science.  And it takes regular adjustments to the science parts to keep a body healthy.  :)

Mo

And don't forget how the wind in blowing somewhere and how you hold your tongue/ LOL

[quote user="Monique H"]

I think one of the influences on honeymoon phase is the type of onset.  Our son's was acute...uncontrolled vomiting, a trip to the ER, BS over 500, and two days in the hospital.  I suspect earlier dx will have a longer, more stable honeymoon phase, with lower insulin requirements.  A more acute onset will require a full-fledged insulin program right off (just my own personal theory...).  I'm pretty sure William exited honeymoon during a high-stress week (vacation/excitement/physical exhertion), and we've had to be more diligent with his testing and adjusting doses since then.

If I've learned anything in the past eight months, it's that T1 care is and blending of art and science.  And it takes regular adjustments to the science parts to keep a body healthy.  :)

Mo

[/quote]

Well I was rushed to the ER after my blood sugar was found to be over 600 and I was in DKA for over a month and had even passed out a few times (not sure why...).

BUT I think I jinxed myself by making this thread. My numbers have been slowly creeping up the past 2 days and have been between 100-130 lately :( I think I might have to start back on a bit of insulin again.

I'm rather envious of you guys.  I had nay bits of honeymoon period when I was diagnosed.

I was diagnosed 12 months ago this Friday January 6th,  I was suspected of being a type 2 due to my age of 42 and being about 20 pounds heavy according to the CDC charts.  I was not fat heavy, but muscle heavy because of the competitive mountain bike racing I was involved in.  With my success of bringing my sugars in line in just the first 6 weeks, the Endo did not start me on insulin.  I am still not on Insulin and am not currently taking any meds, as long as I excercise vigorously my bs numbers are in the 70 - 90 range.  I am starting to see more and more 90-115 numbers and expect that my honeymoon is slowly runing out.  I must admit that I am SCARED,  I can go out and ride my bike currently with nothing more than a yogurt breakfast bar, and not worry about going low.  I know that this will all change when the insulin starts and I worry about being 40 miles from home on my road bike and having a significant low.  I hope they figure out a better sollution soon, I am afraid I will use the T1D as an excuse to not ride as much.  This I am sure will start the vicious cycle of high bs numbers and weight gain and depression and on and on.