Sport problems and stories

my diabetes affect the way i preform in sports. It puts me down also how i’m treated because of it. i don’t get to do much cause i’m gone having to take care of myself. But then the coaches talk behind my back how i shouldn’t even be missing practice and that it shouldn’t even be an excuse. I got kicked out of throwing because i had to take care of myself. I had to miss out on a lot of softball games and not get a lot of playing time in because i had to take care of myself. I even had juices and snacks with me at all times because of it. but the coaches did that so much that i am thinking about not doing sports anymore.

Hi @EvieFire . I’m saddened and angered that your coaches are behaving this way rather than trying to support you! I commend you on working so hard to take care of yourself and would like to think they are concerned about your well-being; but if that were the case they should be understanding and encouraging your efforts and to see if you can find ways to make things work better.
Many people make adjustments to their doses to keep their numbers in line while they’re working out our playing team sports, including some professional athletes Nine Athletes With Type 1 Diabetes - Diabetes Self-Management
It takes some trial and error but you and your doctor may be able to come up with a regimen that keeps you stable while you’re on the field.
An insulin pump paired with a CGM and Control IQ may be the best way to go about it, but people who take injections can be successful as well. Even the CGM with injections can save you time off the field as you can look at your pump or receiver to see how your numbers are - you’d have to be creative about how you wear them of course. Sorry - maybe I should have asked up front what you use.
I’m guessing you’re in high school and I’ve seen posts from teens who are active in sports so hopefully some of them will share their thoughts.

i always made sure my blood sugar as a bit in the higher side before practices and games. i use a GCM and Omnipod. I worked the plans out with my doctors and my coaches. We have even changed some things on my dosages. Even with the plan my coaches and I have worked out, they still dont have understanding and nor encourage me. i am trying and trying to find ways to make thing work out more but nothing seems to work.

Hi @EvieFire I’m sorry to hear about this. I find if I have no insulin on board (my last meal was more than 3 hours ago) and I reduce basal in my pump, my blood sugar will not drop no matter how hard I exercise. This is harder to do on shots. Anyway if you keep at it you can figure it out- food makes blood sugar go up, insulin and especially insulin with exercise makes blood sugar go down.

Yes. Everything is harder with diabetes. And also yes, pretty much no one will understand. We do though. Even though it was harder for me I just worked so I could do the things I really wanted to do. Climbing rocks in the mountains of Utah flying airplanes, and all kinds of outdoor adventures can be done if I do what I need to do for me. Anyway. I hope you stick with it if it matters to you. Good luck :four_leaf_clover:

Hi again. I don’t know how old you are but you could look into diabetes camps and start planning and saving for next summer - I went for a few summers when I was a pre-teen and it was a blast. “Summer camp” is usually associated with little kids but if you Google the term there are ones for teens and adults as well. Needless to say a lot of time is spent being active, and staff are or should be trained in the different devices (be sure to research). That could be a great, safe and supportive setting for you to engage in sports and you might come back with even more
Also a nutritionist can help you find food choices that might help along with adjusting your insulin.

ive been to camp and i see a nutritionist also. i havent been to camp in awhile. thanks for the ideas though

I want to start by telling you that I’m in the same place. I’m a freshman in high school, and I’m part of the football team. I also have Omnipod. What’s worked really well for me is to completely turn off my basal about 30 minutes before practice, then eat 15-30 carbs. The entire practice I’ll be up around 200, but at the end it’s worth it because I’m at 130ish and didn’t need to treat for a low at all.

3 Likes

Hi @EvieFire. I don’t have much of a suggestion, but also wanted to show my support for you. It is infuriating to hear coaches acting like that. Not only is ignorant, but it is downright dangerous. That is a reportable offense because if not you, they could be making other kids with chronic conditions unsafe. I highly suggest you tell your parents and someone brings it up to the coaches superiors. It is not a matter of punishing, but of keeping athletes safe. They need to know they are wrong.

1 Like

thank you for telling me that

Hi Evie,

Sorry to say but these coaches sound very ignorant. You didn’t mention if they were paid coaches or volunteer coaches. If they are paid, it sounds Iike their treatment of you is the fast road to them losing their jobs, if someone put up a big enough stink. That’s probably not what you want — you just want to play. As someone noted— your parents could intervene; possibly your school nurse if this is a school-based sport; your endocrinologist should be familiar with the laws; you can check this JDRF site or the American Diabetes site to get a firmer reading on what your rights are; if this is a park district sport there has to be someone who is enlightened within the structure of the park district.

Please don’t give up on sports entirely because you have come across a few ignoramuses. There have been diabetic competitors in the Olympics.

i think they are paid coaches. and school based sport. Softball has always been my favorite sport and loved it since i was very little. It hurts to be feeling like this. And these coaches are easy getaway liars. they will believe them before they believe me. but one thing, my teammates would side with me. they seen how she treats me.