Restaurant Soda Selections… or lack thereof

O thats weird i havent ever heard of anything non sugary besides spelnda to put in tea :)

I personally really don't like consuming artificial sweetners.  So to have a low carb drink I often just put a tiny bit of juice (not orange juice usually though) mixed in with a glass of water just to give it some flavor.  Also, sometimes I make a fruit tea (make it really strong) then mix it with cold water in a big jug, add lemon juice and a little bit of sugar (ie: one or two tablespoons per jug).  It makes a refreshing drink with hardly any carbs.  These drinks aren't as sweet as most but once you get used to them they are really delicious and a nice change from water!

Have you ever had Turkey Hill diet? it is so good.

diet tea that is

[quote user="Gina"]

[/quote]

Turkey Hill Diet Green Tea is awesome!!

Isaac's is on of only a few places that I know of that has something other than the usual iced tea, Diet Coke, Diet Pepsi.  They have Diet Dr. Brown's soda.  Yum!

[quote user="Gina"]

[/quote]

Turkey Hill Diet Green Tea is awesome!!

Isaac's is on of only a few places that I know of that has something other than the usual iced tea, Diet Coke, Diet Pepsi.  They have Diet Dr. Brown's soda.  Yum!

I used to drink diet soda before learning of the dangers of Aspartame. Look at http://myaspartameexperiment.com. Splenda is good though I guess.

The choices are terrible.  I encourage my son to choose milk but that doesn't always work.  We bring bottled water and suger free flavored drop-in's.  Shake it up and drink or ask for a glass.  They never have an issue with it.  If they did I'd explain my son is diabetic.  They give you no argument.

I've never really thought about that to be honest. I don't know, I hate to sound like a nutritionist or stating the obvious but water with lemon is the best option most of the time anyways. More options would be nice though I suppose.

I like what everyone else said about iced tea though, that helps. Or you could bring a drink with you (I know that's a pain). Jones natural drinks are good and don't have too many carbs. Especially if you water them down. Vitamin water too! :]

i have the same prob but dosnt regular spike bs i was told to stay away even at meals it would be a hasle any way[quote user="Alyssa"]

Whenever I eat order soda at a restaurant, I get diet because I'll obviously have to take less insulin, but they almost always offer only 'diet Coke/Pepsi.' Now, it's my preference anyway to have the "regular," but I was just curious about everyone's experience with this. Don't you think, since so many people are diabetic, they should offer a variety?

[/quote]

Santosh,

I want to offer balance to your link (and I thrive on playing devil's advocate) so I will point to a Lancet article posted here: http://www.aspartame.net/rumors/Aspartame_and_the_Internet.asp.  I would also point out that this sweetener is not only approved in the US, but also in countries like NZ, CA and the list goes on, indicating that either they have all been grossly mislead, are equally incompetent or there is a global conspiracy.  I trust no single government entity, however, all of these governments have some talented researchers and scientific talent in their approval processes and I think that when they have all reached the same conclusion, there is a fair chance they are right.

I will conclude with my opinion that all things are safest when used in moderation.

Cheers!

A-D

absolutly I mean when I order unsweat they always give me sweat and they should make a soda that has no cards or sugar that taste the same as the regular diet drinks are ok but some are just nasty and we should not have to suffer!!!!!!

I generally stick to water, milk, tea and coffee (black).  When I'm in the mood for something sweeter, my suggestions include: Nestea Zero, Diet A&W Rootbeer, Crystal Light and Nestle Light Hot Chocolate Mix.

I rarely drink pop so the lack of selection in restaurants doen't offend me.  The one place I would like more diet selection though is at the movie theatre.

So I have a story I shall now tell. I live in an apartment complex which has no washer dryer hook ups. In any event, the laundry room also has a drink machine. It carried Pepsi and Diet Pepsi...all the common selections. I looked at the row of buttons one day, and I decided to take action on behalf of my diet mountain dew-loving self. So I hand wrote a note and stuck it to the front of the drink machine from "your friendly neighborhood type 1 diabetic." Someone came into the laundry room and removed it the next day, so I wrote another note (I am very passionate about diet mountain dew and I wanted the company to include it as a choice instead of something else) up on the drink machine. Well, this worked. The company added a diet mountain dew selection :-) . Now it sells out before everything else! It would seem I am not the only person who likes it. So that's my little story. I wrote notes and pasted them to the machine. Someone listened. I don't know to this day who listened, but I would probably give that person a bear hug (and I'm not a hugging type person) if the chance arrived.

What a great victory story!  Perhaps instead of giving the "listener" a bear hug, you could offer them a Diet Mountain Dew!  LOL

I agree that restaurants should have more options for diet drinks. When asked for my drink order I typically say diet whatever you have. The response is typically coke/pepsi okay? I would love to see Diet Dr. Pepper or something else. I'm also not a big tea drinker but I often order water with lemon and that will satisfy me if I do not want soda.

It is either Minute Maid or another brand that makes a mean diet/light orangeade that is just delicious.  Of course Crystal Light and sugar-free Kool Aid are big hits with my little dude.  We take single serve packets along or pre-mixed bottles.  Haven't had much dining out experience since his diagnosis, but we test and shoot up right at the table, so people generally get the idea.  I do let him have soda on occassion simply because that is my only option...mostly diet Coke or Pepsi.  Another alternative as they are quite tasty is low-calorie Gatorade or Powerade Zero (I think that is what it is called)...tastes like Kool Aid to me.

Bottoms up!

This topic makes me mad, finally I have a place to vent about it, lol. I am tired of going to a resturant and only having 1 drink choice besides unsweetened tea. Most times that 1 choice is diet pepsi, YUCK !!  It sucks in my opinion that "regular people" (non-diabetic) have like 7 choices, and we do not. I often think of complaining or suggesting to add more diet selections but they'll tell you "oh, we will take care of it" and never do it. I am a Diet Dr Pepper kind of gal, I especially love the cherry vanilla kind. Which by the way I can not find in stores currently, did they stop making it? I recently tried the Dt Cherry Dr Pepper, it's pretty decent. I also drink coke, cherry coke, root beer (A&W, IBC), orange sunkist and on occassion mt. dew, all diet of course. I must say though I went to Sonic recently here in Pa and they have Dt. Dr. Pepper, I was amazed !! One thing I have to add to this is- when you're at a party that actually has diet soda , you go to get one it's gone. Because all of the heavy people drink it and the heck with those of us who have to drink it, right?! Sorry I don't mean any offense to anyone this is just my opinion. Drinking diet soda and eating junk food doesn't make any sense !!! I have learned if I go to a party I take a bag of my own soda and leave it in the car, just in case.