Preteen with diabetes needs online buddies

My daughter is 9 1/2 years old and has had t1d since she was 2 1/2. She would really like to make connections with other kids around her age with t1d.

Hello. I would suggest contacting your local JDRF. They may be camps, or other activities where she can meet people.
You may be able to speak to her doctor and find out if they have any information. Good luck!

My daughter is 9 and just diagnosed in November. We are looking into camp surefure in RI this summer to give her a chance to connect with other kids with T1D. There is a open house next weekend. Here is the link. http://www.campsurefire.org/summer-camp/

She has attended a JDRF Day Camp the past two summers. What she is looking for now, is kids that she can chat with through her various gaming sites.

Hi- I’m sending this with my daughter (9y/o). She would be interested in connecting with your daughter or other kids with T1D too. Not sure the best way to proceed. She does have a ipad but not many other gaming devices…I’m not sure if there is a way to create s private chat. I’m new to this site…

Great! I’m a little unsure how to make it happen, myself. She plays computer/tablet Roblox and Animal Jam games, both of which have chat options. If neither of those work, we moms should try to find each other through Facebook.

Sarah,
I’m introducing my son (12 yrs old) to this website and I’ll ask him to contact you (we’ll do it together). I believe he will want to connect with other TD1 kids.
Jim

Sounds good! :slight_smile: Yes, having our kids connect through us is probably the best option, anyway.

I’m slightly older than your daughter, but not by much. I’m 13 now, and have been diabetic since I was 4. I’d love to talk to her, and I have two sisters around her age as well. If you’d like to get in touch with me, my email is hamiltoncrazi@gmail.com
I hope we can talk soon :wink:

Hi! My daughter is 14 and she asked me to help her connect with other kids who are diabetic. She has one other kid in her school. Do you find a large presence of teens around your age? If there is I’ll allow her this form of “social media” so she can connect. Gwen has been diabetic about 2 years.

Hi,
Sorry for the delayed response. I’m unfortunately not on Facebook. My daughter keeps asking if I’ve gotten in touch with any kids yet so clearly she is in board with this. I’m passing along my email and maybe we can connect that way?
Jennycellar@gmail.com
My daughter does have email and a iPhone as well as Xbox.
Jenny

My daughter would love to correspond! Thanks for replying, we will message you soon!

Hey Genavive!
I’d love to talk to your daughter a little bit. I’ve seen a variety of ages on here, from 9 to 60 but I’m always interested in finding a new diabetic to talk to. You can email or text me at nuincalien@gmail.com

I’m 13 I have type 1 diabetes. I have had since I was 12

Awesome. Gwendolyn just wrote you o. Your thread!

trying to figure out how to add my daughter to this thread @Gwendolyn123 I think I just did!

Hello! I’m Gwen, Genavive’s daughter

I am 12 years old and I would absolutely love to be t1 buddies! I also go to diabetes camps over the summer to connect with more t1d’s, I totally recommend it if you have one near you.

Hi Sarah!

My daughter was newly diagnosed at the end of this July. She is 9-years-old and in the 4th grade. She is skeptical about meeting others with T1D yet, but perhaps, this may be a good start for her. She has an email address and sometimes she likes to video chat on Google Hangouts. It’s free! I will share my email address first: divinadsp20@gmail.com

We look forward to hearing from you and your daughter!