Nick Jonas a role model?

How many people see Nick Jonas as a Role model?? I guess I must be a hater or something because i don't think he should be one. Maybe we should be his, he probably is more confused than some of you who look up to him. The only thing i am grateful for Nick doing is participating in the JDRF fundraisers and using his best of his abilities to find a cure. Does anyone agree?

why should he be a role model?
because he's famous and has diabetes?
so what if he's the poster boy for some of the companies that make diabetic supplies or takes part in fundraisers?
just gets HIS band more exposure if anything and I haven't noticed an improvement in diabetic care or awareness JUST because of him. All of it has been an effort of MANY other people, not just this one kid.

he's just a kid with diabetes and i'm darn sure he's not the most involved diabetic either.
i don't see one thing that makes him more special than anyone else who lives with this disease daily and takes care of themselves.

I hate that kid to be perfectly honest, and mostly because people(especially young girls) have put him on that pedestal.

batts, i've got you on a lil bit of a pedestal for your honesty.  i appreciate it. 

i'm not swayed one way or the other about Nick Jonas.  i'm not a pre-pubescent girl so i'm not in on all that hype.  i hope he'd give more awareness to diabetes, and i don't hate all their music (i don't freak out when it comes on the radio or anything...but then again i couldn't pick their song out of a line up)

basically, i'm neutral

oh good cause I thought I was alone..everytime i see a forum with Nick jonas i swear he is like a god to those people

only one God for me...and His name isn't Nick lol

I completely agree - Nick Jonas is soooo not a role model!  He hasn't contributed much to the world aside from bad music (just my opinion) so I don't see why some people think he's so great.

I don't think he is necessarily a role model, but he does use fame to help raise awareness to diabetes, the sad truth is fame can get you a lot including attention for whatever charity you want, I read that he was invited to talk to congress about funding more diabetes research and congress agreed.  So he may get attention because he is famous and has diabetes but so does Halle Berry, she does diabetes commercials. All I am saying is that why is it such a bad thing that he uses fame for a good cause its not like it doesn't benefit all diabetics. I don't disagree with you but I don't agree with you. I think that he uses his fame for a good cause (:

But I see what you are saying.

Peace

Hilary

Yes,he is a wonderful role model-especially to the little ones and the young teens--not to mention  the help he gives to parents-who can tell their kids Nick has d  too...his song touched this moms heart--a little bit longer...We don't follow his music or any of his work---but I am so grateful to that young person for putting yet another voice out for type1....

I am embarrassed to admit I don't think I've ever (at least knowingly) heard a J Brothers song. Wow, am I getting old! But, I agree that I'll take whatever publicity we can get re: T1 if it raises awareness and more importantly, $$ for research. (Still a bigger fan of Mary Tyler Moore's diabetes work though!)

HAHAHAHA. Nick Jonas. HAHAHAHAH

that's all I have to say.... please people..

it's horrible it has to take a famous person to raise all this awareness....

[quote user="Jackie"]

it's horrible it has to take a famous person to raise all this awareness....

[/quote]

It doesn't and it hasn't. We don't have to thank Nick Jones for anything..there are way more deserving people out there to thank for raising awareness who are not famous...because they are the ones actually raising awareness.

Nick Jonas would just be another kid having to scream that he didn't get diabetes for eating too many candy bars..if it weren't for those people.

VERY TRUE

I seriously wanna hear some response from Big Nick Jonas fans....to hear their side of the story, it just annoys me how much sum teens are in love with him

Role Model is a tricky term.

I believe this. Nick Jonas is a role model for the people that look up to him, yes. Is he my role model, no. Am I a fan of his ? Yes. I don't think that Nick Jonas is any different than what Mary Tyler Moore is to some people, a person their age that they can relate to and feel that they share a bond with on some level. We do it all the time with various things in our life not just diabetes. So and so is also a fill in the blank, just like me. We all do it in some form or another.

I went to the JDRF walk in Dallas last month, and there was a gaggle of mid-teen girls with shirts that said "I walk for  Nick Jonas" I asked all of them if they were Diabetic, and their response really ticked me off. They said " No, we're doing this because POOR Nick has to deal with all of this horrible stuff" I hate how hemakes everyone feel sorry for him. I think if congress wasn't so starstruck they'd listen to what WE had to say.

I am not personally a fan of him or the group, however, it the younger type 1 diabetics out there see him as a role model it's fine with me.  They can look to him as an example that they can accomplish whatever they set out to do.  When I was 9, Ron Santo (ex Chicago Cubs catcher) came to my little town and I talked with him for about 20 min or so about playing baseball with type 1 diabetes.  Granted, he's going through many issues right now but I saw him and felt like a normal kid again.  If the younger kids can feel like that through Nick Jonas, then I'm happy with it.  Whatever his motivations are for diabetes supply companies or testifying at congress - I don't care as long as it raises money for our cause.  There are many threads on here about the irritating comments we get, many of them due to eating or weight etc.  Who knows, maybe those that don't have all the information see a young, thin celebrity and question their own thoughts about type 1 diabetes.  Even if it's just a few people it's a start.  Our old friend Alyssa used to say that we need to have little droplets of info out there to make a difference in public perception.  I agree wtih her and maybe Jonas can help with that.    I would like to see other high profile celebs step up to the plate for our cause.  I'm sure many of them have local events or whatever, but I'd like to see it on a national level.  Ray Allen, of the Celtics, is starting to step up after his son was diagnosed which is good to see.   

[quote user="Sam Ryan"]

I went to the JDRF walk in Dallas last month, and there was a gaggle of mid-teen girls with shirts that said "I walk for  Nick Jonas" I asked all of them if they were Diabetic, and their response really ticked me off. They said " No, we're doing this because POOR Nick has to deal with all of this horrible stuff" I hate how hemakes everyone feel sorry for him. I think if congress wasn't so starstruck they'd listen to what WE had to say.

[/quote]

Hey - who cares what their motivation was ? - they were there, they raised some money which all goes in to the same pot which will help ALL of us when someone finally finds a cure. (Including Nick). Maybe being at the walk made those girls realize that 'poor Nick' is not the only one that has to deal with all this horrible stuff - a lot of regular people do too. Or maybe not. I don't care. I'll take whatever help we can get, regardless of motivation.

this is just my opinion but i see where you're coming from Isaac..

before i had diabetes, i was already a jonas brothers fan. i decided to learn about the disease after nick announced that he had diabetes because i didn't know any type one diabetics, etc.

when i  was diagnosed, i knew a diabetic at my school but was not friends at ALL with her. nick jonas was the only person i had to look up to when i first got diabetes, and he still is because a lot of the people my age with diabetes that i know have had it for a while and don't take care of themselves, etc. he's gotten me through a lot so he's just my role model because it's someone to look up to who is about my age and stuff...