Nick Jonas a role model?

For every person that we can see as a "role model" out there, there are both postives and negatives out there. The work the Nick Jonas does for spreading awareness is a good thing. More people are aware of the illness now than might not have been due to his being so open about himself and the illness. There is no harm in letting someone famous spread the message about the various causes out there.

Is it sometimes overplayed yes? Could there be a better job out there of educating people through what he does yes? I can't remember where I was reading this, but in a comments section after an article about Nick and being a person with type one diabetes, one of the parents commented about how they felt it was a shame that when their daughter was diagnosed with the illness that she wrote a fan letter to Nick's telling him about her struggles and how he was a pistive example to her. The parent then goes on to trash him because it took months for a return letter to come back, how it was just a form letter type thing, and how her little girl was crushed that she did not get anytthing encouraging from him. The letter angered me from the perspective that the parent was trying to manipulate things against a person who is doing what he can to promote awareness, just because her daughter was not singled out in a letter from Nick. Does one ever think about how many letters he must get a day, and how many children with type one diabetes reach out to him for support? He is still just one person who can only do so much.

While I am not a fourteen year old girl I do respect what He is trying to do. Could he do more? Probably. However, so too can we. We all have the ability to get out there and spread the message. We might not get the gaggle of girls to follow us, but we too can make an impact. When I think about role models when it comes to people with type one diabetes, I have my friend Jeanette who really helped me out, she is probably my number one role model. There are those of you on here with your positive outlook and say it how it is spirit that inspire me to think more about my own problems and issues. You too are role models. Let the famous do the big work, but let those of us who are the normals take care of the rest, including educating others who are confused.

[quote user="bunucky_jonas_11"]nick jonas was the only person i had to look up to when i first got diabetes, and he still is because a lot of the people my age with diabetes that i know have had it for a while and don't take care of themselves, etc. he's gotten me through a lot so he's just my role model because it's someone to look up to who is about my age and stuff...[/quote]...I was waiting for a response like this thanks bunucky....everytime i go into forum that deals with nick all i see is how he is great and not why he is great....this has changed my perspective..Thx :)

[quote user="Isaac "]

[quote user="bunucky_jonas_11"]nick jonas was the only person i had to look up to when i first got diabetes, and he still is because a lot of the people my age with diabetes that i know have had it for a while and don't take care of themselves, etc. he's gotten me through a lot so he's just my role model because it's someone to look up to who is about my age and stuff...[/quote]...I was waiting for a response like this thanks bunucky....everytime i go into forum that deals with nick all i see is how he is great and not why he is great....this has changed my perspective..Thx :)

[/quote]

no problem, you're very welcome..

happy to show why i think he is a good role model! :)

Doug, what issues is Ron Santo going through? Are they D related?

[quote user="Sarah"]

[/quote]

Hey Sarah -  Unfortunately he's had both legs amputated.  He uses a second prosthesis now.  I believe both were below the knee.  Having said that I don't want to scare people here about possible complications.  I believe Mr. Santo is now 69.  He didn't have the tools we have now to manage our disease.  He still sponsors a JDRF walk and has moved on.  I was born in Chicago but moved to California before I even remember.  Meeting Mr. Santo made me a Cubs fan and gave me my inspiration.  He stressed to me way back then to do everything I can to avoid complications and I guess in a weird way, he's shown me why.  To me, he's still my roll model.  :)      And on another note....considering I'm a Bears fan too, I'd like to see Jay Cutler (QB for the Bears) be more active with the cause - but then I don't live in that area - so maybe he already is- if so - sorry Jay!

I haven't heard of Jay Cutler doing much, but I get 90% of my d-news form Juvenation. So, if it wasn't mentioned on here, I don't know. (:

Cutler and the Eli Lilly Company partnered together to make donations for each TD thrown and each pass completed through the 2009 season to help children with diabetes.  Each TD pass Lilly donates 1 000 dollars to the ADA for their camp program and each completed pass they donate 100 dollars to the program. 

[quote user="Batts"]

I hate that kid to be perfectly honest, and mostly because people(especially young girls) have put him on that pedestal.

[/quote]

i agree with u there batts!

[quote user="Doug D"]

[quote user="Sarah"]

[/quote]

Hey Sarah -  Unfortunately he's had both legs amputated.  He uses a second prosthesis now.  I believe both were below the knee.  Having said that I don't want to scare people here about possible complications.  I believe Mr. Santo is now 69.  He didn't have the tools we have now to manage our disease.  He still sponsors a JDRF walk and has moved on.  I was born in Chicago but moved to California before I even remember.  Meeting Mr. Santo made me a Cubs fan and gave me my inspiration.  He stressed to me way back then to do everything I can to avoid complications and I guess in a weird way, he's shown me why.  To me, he's still my roll model.  :)      And on another note....considering I'm a Bears fan too, I'd like to see Jay Cutler (QB for the Bears) be more active with the cause - but then I don't live in that area - so maybe he already is- if so - sorry Jay!

[/quote]

I looooooooooooooove the bears... my dad was their assistant trainer back in the 80's...before i was born... da bears rock

I look up to Nick jonas because he too got Diabetes at a young age but he was 13 and i was 3 1/2 yaers old when i got diabetes, My friends that i kown look up to nck jonas because he kowns what we go thought ever day And like when i am having high's i dont go to my room and cry and go to my room and put in the jonas brothers CD and lisen to a litte bit long and i"ll be fine