New to Juvenation. Reffered here by "grandpa" Richard

Hello,

My name is Kristen but it is ok to call me Kris.  I am type 1.  I am on an Animas ping with apidra and a dexcom.  I have gastroparesis, neuropathy, and hypo-unawareness.  I am 25 years old. 

I been very ill the past 2 years and had lots of health problems.  It caused me to double my weight and because of that I got off the path of caring for my diabetes.  I am here because I need help to get back onto that path and I love to help others too.

Thanks for listening, Kris

Hi Kristen! Welcome!

Richard is kind of becoming a Grandpa to all of us. I'm so glad he referred you here! My son has type 1 and juvenation has been a blessing to me in meeting other people with T1 and learning from them. I hope you will enjoy it too. Make sure to check out the various groups.

Good luck on your path to better D care and better health. We are all here to help in anyway we can.

Welcome Kris,

My daughter has type 1 and also uses an Animas Ping, and loves it. This is a great place for inspiration, advice, or just to find people who really "get it".

I wish you the best and applaud you for taking the steps to improve your health.

Welcome! Let us know if you have any specific concerns we can help you with.

There are also "groups" on here like multiple diagnoses, complications, and weight loss that might be of interest to you...

I also gained weight last year (b/c of a medication for an illness). :P It was a lot of hard work to loose it, but it's mostly staying off now. Send me a message if you need support. (:

Just wanted to say Welcome!!!

Hey Kris-

It's great that you're here.  This website has encouraged me to get into better diabetes control and I hope it helps you too.  Think I was about 25 too when I realized it was time to grow up and start managing my blood sugars better.  I'm far from perfect, but am a lot more stable and have hypo awareness again. 

You mentioned gastroparesis.  Are you taking Symlin?  It's another shot, but is supposed to delay food absorption and help with weight loss.  Gastroparesis makes it tough to regulate blood sugars, so then you get in a bad cycle where the high blood sugars make GP worse and GP makes blood sugars high. 

If you haven't read them recently, get the "Think Like a Pancreas" by Gary Scheiner and "Puming Insulin" by John Walsh books.  They helped remind me of how to use my pump to its best advantage. 

Take care.

-Jenna

We are very happy to have you here with us, Kris! Juvenation is the best place to come for support and friendship. Welcome to the site! :o)

I do have those books...I will have to pull them out again.

Welcome Kris!!

This is a great site that I recently joined. The people on here are all so friendly and caring, let us be your support system :) I have type 1 diabetes also, I was diagnosed 3 years ago and now Im just living taking one day at a time :) Hope to help and talk to you soon :)

Mariah :)

Well hello there Krissie! It is good to see you here. I think this is a wonderful site, where everyone is a type 1, or has type 1 in their family. You can fit in better than me. I am told that the average age of the members here is 26. I am 71, but they are very nice and have let me stay, so far. Lol!

I agree with Sarah, there are some very good groups.

Hello there! I'm Elena. I just turned 17 and I've had diabetes for 2 years. It's been a trying disease but I haven't let it slow me down! Glad to see you here! Hope you find this site as awesome as the rest of us do. It's awesome to meet other people who understand what you're going through :)

Hello Kristen,

Welcome to Juvenation!!!  I am 27 and was diagnosed with type 1 just a little over a year and a half ago.  I'm also married to a type 1 diabetic.  Recently I was also diagnosed with epilepsy/seizure disorders.  It's been tough but I've just been trying to take it one day at a time and push through.  There have been a few times where I wanted to give up but having the support of my husband and all the people at Juvenation has really helped.

Welcome Kris!!!