New tattoo design... i need opinions! pleaseeee

with the help of my roommates, I designed a tattoo that I really like that I'll possibily be getting on my left foot.

I need (honest) opinions!! thanks

It looks pretty good, Be careful with the Red though, with that small of an area, they usually fade faster then normal. but other than that, the idea is great.

I love the design. Just curious is there a diabetes ribbon and what color is it?? I should know this. I googled it. Apparently the diabetes awarenss ribbon is grey with a drop of blood. But I guess you can't really do grey tatoo ink can you? Anyway, I do like the design as is.

I love it! I think it's a great design!

I've been thinking about mine since diagnosis in February. The ribbon with my diagnosis date written inside the ribbon :)

I say go for it!!!

Tattoos are really up to the person getting them, if you like it go for it. On the bright side, this isn't like a wedding date, so if a cure comes out you won't feel silly about the tattoo.  I think they make gray ink, if not my artist uses a combination of black, white, and simply letting the ink run a little thinner to create shading.

thank you so much for all your opinions. I know its essentially up to me, but I enjoy other peoples comments because it makes me think more about the tattoo instead of going out and just getting it.

So i appreciate any opinions!!

iT WOULD BE REALLY COOL IF YOU COULD MAKE THE  1 IN 13 OR THE i IN DIABETES AN INSULIN SYRING.  I saw a type 1 diabetes tattoo on the tv show "inked" and it was sooo cool. The syringe also had a drop of blood coming off it. Maybe u could find it online. Either way hope u will show us what u end up getting.

[quote user="hairstylingnurse"]

iT WOULD BE REALLY COOL IF YOU COULD MAKE THE  1 IN 13 OR THE i IN DIABETES AN INSULIN SYRING.  I saw a type 1 diabetes tattoo on the tv show "inked" and it was sooo cool. The syringe also had a drop of blood coming off it. Maybe u could find it online. Either way hope u will show us what u end up getting.

[/quote]

that would be interesting actually! do you know what episode or when it was? I'm going to try to look it up and watch the episode!

thanks !

you said it perfectly, think about it a lot before you get it, make sure its perfect and exactly what you want.  I waited over 6 months before I got each one of mine, just to be sure.  remember, its always on your body haha

Looks pretty good.   The artist, assuming they are worthy, will be able to sculpt it to make it flow on your foot.  The grey shouldn't be a problem, they are able to work with color to create very vibrant works. 

[quote user="CHLjoe"]

Looks pretty good.   The artist, assuming they are worthy, will be able to sculpt it to make it flow on your foot.  The grey shouldn't be a problem, they are able to work with color to create very vibrant works. 

[/quote]

ohh good! im glad to hear that they would sculpt it to flow on my foot (wow that sounds strange saying). Because I was worried it would look rather weird just on my foot.

My friend is proabably getting a tattoo as well and so I'm thinking we're going to go and show our designs and see how much they are and meet with the tattoo artist. I gotta see if they'll even be willing to tattoo a diabetic... anyone ever have problems with this?

Thanks for all the opinions!!

The shop I go to used to (~5yrs ago) have a checkbox for diabetes on their paperwork but I never told.  It is no longer on the form, and I ended up mentioning it to my artist a few months ago with no real reaction ("oh, well you're still alive and the work looks nice").  If you are worried you can always say the diagnosis belongs to a family member and it really effected your relationship.  Honestly I would expect more interest in how the coloring would hold up, and the differences between a foot/hand/body tattoo.

It looks like hairstylingnurse was the only one willing to throw out new ideas...the design looks to me almost looks like a blood glucose reading.  The idea of framing it that way, making the blood drop look like splatter on top of the meter came to mind.  Please note I think the design looks fine, I just always end up thinking about large tattoos.

Not sure why you'd want to permanently stamp that on your body anywhere.  Then again I'm not part of the tattoo generation.  But the design itself seems pretty cool.  Think long and hard on it though.  Once you get it you'll be married to it.  Til death do you part!

I wouldn't want to put anything permanently on me that would tell others I have Diabetes.  Discrimination could occur because of it.  If someone needs to know I'll tell them.  Everyone else, butt out.  IMHO.

Good luck in your decision.

[quote user="Melissa"]

[quote user="CHLjoe"]

[/quote]

ohh good! im glad to hear that they would sculpt it to flow on my foot (wow that sounds strange saying). Because I was worried it would look rather weird just on my foot.

My friend is proabably getting a tattoo as well and so I'm thinking we're going to go and show our designs and see how much they are and meet with the tattoo artist. I gotta see if they'll even be willing to tattoo a diabetic... anyone ever have problems with this?

Thanks for all the opinions!!

[/quote]

Yeah they will apply the stencil and see if you like it, if not it can always be wiped clean and a new placement area can be found.  I have two tattoos and the issue of being a diabetic didn't even arise.  Most artists tell you if you need a break to just ask and you don't even need a reason for said break.

Is there a reason for not tatooing a diabetic? Why would it even matter?

Hi Melissa, Sorry I haven't responded until now. Haven't been on lately. I can't remember which show it was because there are 2 of them. I am truly known for my pitiful memory. It was on TLC (the learning channel). When I'm looking for something like that I got to youtube, they have everything you could ever want to see on video. I'm going to try to find it tonite, but my computer is dragging because of something from facebook.

[quote user="Brian Q."]

Is there a reason for not tatooing a diabetic? Why would it even matter?

[/quote]

only if they don't take care of their diabetes and there bloodsugar is all over the place

So having out of control sugar is bad for tatooing a diabetic? Would that make the healing process slower or make the tattoo more susceptible to infection?

[quote user="Brian Q."]

So having out of control sugar is bad for tatooing a diabetic? Would that make the healing process slower or make the tattoo more susceptible to infection?

[/quote]

that would be my guess. I went in and talked to the tattoo artist and he said that it was perfectly fine (just have to sign an agreement).

I'm still debating about it. I wanna be sure I want the tattoo before i commit to it. But i'll let you all know whether I end up getting it!

Yes let us know, my avatar is my tattoo, inside right arm and it's kind of a twisted medical alert symbol. The syringe is the staff. Bigger pics on my profile. Good Luck