New Onset Diabetic

Hi, everyone. My name is Hailie, and I’m 14 years old. I was diagnosed with T1D on September 12th, 2015. So as you can see, I’ve only had T1D for about five months. My blood sugars are stable for the most part (haha), so physically I am doing ok. Emotionally, on the other hand, not so much. I joined T1N in hopes I could find someone who can relate to what I’m going through. My friends and family are great and really supportive, but somehow its not the same. I don’t know anyone with T1D, and I feel really alone sometimes. I feel like I can’t do a lot of the things I was able to do before. Going to parties and things like that is hard because of carb guessing and I hate giving injections in front of people. My mom is working on getting me an insulin pump, and I can’t wait for it to come.
I just feel like with my diagnosis my life got so much more complicated. I’ve been homeschooled up until high school, and this is freshman year. That was a huge transition and then halfway through the first semester BAM I get diabetes too.
So basically I came here to maybe find someone who can relate to me, and hopefully someone to talk to! Thank you so much for reading this and I’d love to hear from you :slight_smile:

Hi Hailie my name is Hallie and I’m 18 years old. I was diagnosed on July 17th, 2015. I totally understand where you’re coming from in regards to the fact that this emotionally is a hard thing to deal with. Dealing with T1D gets better with time and therapy helps a lot. We are unique and definitely different in the fact that we have to inject multiple times a day, but I just remember that I need the insulin or else I’m going to be sick. I’m always here if you want to talk about anything and it doesn’t have to be diabetes related.
Much love :slight_smile:

Hi Hallie!
I’m sorry to hear about your diagnosis. It’s hard finding people that can relate to what you are experiencing and going through. That is why I want to start support groups in my community. It is awkward giving injections when friends are watching, but just explain it to them and try to joke about. One joke I use sometimes is saying something about “Well, I’m using again.” Another tip is when you need to give an insulin injection you can go to the bathroom and do it there. It gives you more privacy and it’s unnoticeable. I am always here to talk with you need someone just send me a message! Hope this helps. If you found this helpful please follow my blog at: https://ashleymkuhn.wordpress.com/

Hi Hailie!
I have had T1D for 2 1/2 years now and I am also a freshman in high school! It is often hard to adjust when you are first diagnosed, and hard to find friends. Not many people have this disease, ad those of us who do tend to stick together! I’d love to talk! I will message you!

Caroline

Thank you all for replying! It means a lot. Hallie, thank you for the inspiring words–it really helps. And I did start counseling actually this afternoon and I’ve found it to be helpful haha. Ashley, thanks for the tips! I do joke around with my friends about it and it does make it easier. I will most definitely be sure to check out your blog and let you know what I think. Caroline, thank you for responding and relating! It’s nice to know that there are others out there struggling with the same thing so I really appreciate you all responding. I will most likely message you all. :slight_smile:

Hi Hailie… T1D has been accompanying me for the last 19 years :wink: to be precise from my childhood when I was 4 and now am 23 :slight_smile: I do agree with what Hallie has said … T1D gets better with time :wink: It has gone so good to me that now I just cant imagine my life without it :wink: It has turned out to be like my life partner :smiley: So chill out dear and take it the positive way because having T1D is now gonna make you more concerned about your food intake,health and because of that you are preparing to stay more healthy and strong than others without a T1D :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:
Am always there when you wanna share and talk <3 Take Care :slight_smile:

Neethu :wink: